Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I have a situtaion that needs attention. I am in the process of installing a stereo in my car. I am going extremely mildwith it. 1 amp, 1 sub, new speakers, and a headunit. I have been doing some research about the equipment and i have decieded what i want for everything except the sub. I only want 1 sub in my trunk to conserve space unless someone can convince me to get 2. For the sub(s) no box i want to pay 225 at most. Can i get some recommendations from you guys on what one i should go with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Hello all.
I have a situtaion that needs attention. I am in the process of installing a stereo in my car. I am going extremely mildwith it. 1 amp, 1 sub, new speakers, and a headunit. I have been doing some research about the equipment and i have decieded what i want for everything except the sub. I only want 1 sub in my trunk to conserve space unless someone can convince me to get 2. For the sub(s) no box i want to pay 225 at most. Can i get some recommendations from you guys on what one i should go with.
What about the alpine type s subs i heard they are pretty good

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Hello all.
Hi again Josh,
I am getting ready for an install myself. I wanted to keep the steering wheel controls etc on my car so I left the stock head unit. But two amps two subwoofers and a pair of mid/tweeters.
But to get to your question: I am running two 10 inch subs AND I am powering them individually in stereo (many would say this is needless as the bass is suposed to be non directional, more efficient bridged) But I think it depends on what kind of bass sound you want. If you are in to the booming bass you would need a large ported enclosure and probably just one 12 inch woofer or something. (or smaller ported enclosure running dual bridged 8 inches or something) I want tight bass. I want the crisp and quick bass response that doesn't continue to boom or vibrate. If the music has dual bass drums loacted in two spots on the sound stage, I want to hear them differentiated. Thats why I went with two VERY small SEALED enclosures (each with a 10"). These things are tight (they don't boom and reverb) and I can tell which one (left or right) is firing (some times when the music is well recorded)......but the best part with these sealed enclosures might be the small size. (my box is about 2ft by 1.2ft by 8 inches deep. (two of these)
Long story short, it depends on what you want. If space is a issue I would go with a single 12" in a small enclosure (ported/sealed/iso or whatever) although not very popular there are free air woofers that basicaly use no enclosures (the trunk will serve as some kind of enclosure) but these I found to be very boomy/reverby and not tight at all. (these take the least space!)
Brands like Rockford Fosgate, JBL, come to mind as one of the top car stereo makers. I had great luck with Polk's DB series also.
I'm sure the typical shelf brands like Sony/Panasonic/Kenwood are good enuff too! (you canm hear them at best buy)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
powerglide said:
Hi again Josh,
I am getting ready for an install myself. I wanted to keep the steering wheel controls etc on my car so I left the stock head unit. But two amps two subwoofers and a pair of mid/tweeters.
But to get to your question: I am running two 10 inch subs AND I am powering them individually in stereo (many would say this is needless as the bass is suposed to be non directional, more efficient bridged) But I think it depends on what kind of bass sound you want. If you are in to the booming bass you would need a large ported enclosure and probably just one 12 inch woofer or something. (or smaller ported enclosure running dual bridged 8 inches or something) I want tight bass. I want the crisp and quick bass response that doesn't continue to boom or vibrate. If the music has dual bass drums loacted in two spots on the sound stage, I want to hear them differentiated. Thats why I went with two VERY small SEALED enclosures (each with a 10"). These things are tight (they don't boom and reverb) and I can tell which one (left or right) is firing (some times when the music is well recorded)......but the best part with these sealed enclosures might be the small size. (my box is about 2ft by 1.2ft by 8 inches deep. (two of these)
Long story short, it depends on what you want. If space is a issue I would go with a single 12" in a small enclosure (ported/sealed/iso or whatever) although not very popular there are free air woofers that basicaly use no enclosures (the trunk will serve as some kind of enclosure) but these I found to be very boomy/reverby and not tight at all. (these take the least space!)
Brands like Rockford Fosgate, JBL, come to mind as one of the top car stereo makers. I had great luck with Polk's DB series also.
I'm sure the typical shelf brands like Sony/Panasonic/Kenwood are good enuff too! (you canm hear them at best buy)
Thanks for the response. About the space in subs. I am building my own custom boxes to be angled in the corners of the trunk next to the seats. if i go with 2. I have been steering towards 2 10w0 by jl. For the amp i am using i am building a false floor to hide it there with a plexi glass top for a good look.
For the head unit i don't have steering wheel controls and i want to play mp3 from the headunit. You mentioned about running the subs individually. I listen to classic rock, hard rock, some country, NO RAP. Will I notice the difference if i go that route also do you know what would be better 10's or 12's for my case.

Back to your thing. You can acually by an adaptor to use your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket unit or you can do what i did in my buddies car. He put a pioneer head unit in and had steering wheel controls still usefull. It was a pain in the A$$ to do but it finally worked. It is a rigged job. I disasmebled the remote and placed it behind each button the the steering wheel. Now the problem is that you have to use a battery for most of the remotes for the headunit. Now what we did is to use the power in the steering wheel (lights) instead of the battery. Took me roughly 3 hours to get the steering wheel to work.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Thanks for the response. About the space in subs. I am building my own custom boxes to be angled in the corners of the trunk next to the seats. if i go with 2. I have been steering towards 2 10w0 by jl. For the amp i am using i am building a false floor to hide it there with a plexi glass top for a good look.
For the head unit i don't have steering wheel controls and i want to play mp3 from the headunit. You mentioned about running the subs individually. I listen to classic rock, hard rock, some country, NO RAP. Will I notice the difference if i go that route also do you know what would be better 10's or 12's for my case.

Back to your thing. You can acually by an adaptor to use your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket unit or you can do what i did in my buddies car. He put a pioneer head unit in and had steering wheel controls still usefull. It was a pain in the A$$ to do but it finally worked. It is a rigged job. I disasmebled the remote and placed it behind each button the the steering wheel. Now the problem is that you have to use a battery for most of the remotes for the headunit. Now what we did is to use the power in the steering wheel (lights) instead of the battery. Took me roughly 3 hours to get the steering wheel to work.

That sounds like a hard core install (on the steering wheel controls), that's pretty nice! Custom box and false floor sounds like a sweet project too.
10's vs 12's is another one of those depends answers.....
the 10's can move a bit faster than the 12's because of its smaller size and mass (all else being equal), so you are getting better response, for those fast drum solo's etc...
But if you have good mid range already (like a 5.25" or maybe even a 6by9 run by a dedicated amp laying down punchy beats) but you mentioned one amp so maybe a good compromise is a dual 10" each getting plenty of clean power, then fiddle with the crossover point to see what sounds the best) also depends on size (volume and weight of the box) all else being the same, some woofer's can need significantly more volume. BTW 10" can reproduce very low sounds so I really don't thnk you are giving up much on the hearable/useable low end sound.....in my humle opinion

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Greencaddy98 said:
What about the alpine type s subs i heard they are pretty good
you can't go wrong with alpines for the most part.....although they do make some 'low end' stuff
I'd look for quality psrt like rubber surrounds over foam surrounds (they are much better in these harsh environments like a car trunk, also if they are being driven hard

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About the install job with the custom boxes and false floor. Not to brag but it is going to be easy for me. In doing a custom install with false floors boxes you need to relize ONE thing. Take your TIME. For the false floor i am just raising it up with wood and then covering it with carpet. The boxes is going to be hard b/c i can't even start them till i buy the subs. Like you said that every sub needs a different amount of space. Its all geomtry in figuring out what angles to make things. I have grown up in a wood shop so i consider it to be second nature. The HARD part is the measure ments on the boxes. The specs go down to the cubic inch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
About the install job with the custom boxes and false floor. Not to brag but it is going to be easy for me. In doing a custom install with false floors boxes you need to relize ONE thing. Take your TIME. For the false floor i am just raising it up with wood and then covering it with carpet. The boxes is going to be hard b/c i can't even start them till i buy the subs. Like you said that every sub needs a different amount of space. Its all geomtry in figuring out what angles to make things. I have grown up in a wood shop so i consider it to be second nature. The HARD part is the measure ments on the boxes. The specs go down to the cubic inch.
Personal Experience has told me that the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 is a great sub. You can find them cheap (relative term) on the internet, i dont know if www.etronics.com still has them or not. I had a 10.1 off of a kenwood KAC-729S in a sealed box and it sounded really good. I basically stole the amp at $80 and got the 10.1 from etronics for around $120. I dont know how it would compare agains two JL 10W0's sound or money wise, but for the space, the 10.1 is great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the best way to pick subs, or any speaker, it to trust your ears...
go to the stereo shops and listen to them with music you are familiar with.

Many shops can demo a chosen sub for you in your car while in the install bay from an amp on their test bench or display. This can give you a realistic idea of what a specific sub will sound like in the appropriate enclosure in your vehicle.

Call shops in your area first to see if they can accommodate you...

later gator.. BigJohnnyC

S

·
0 Posts

Many shops can demo a chosen sub for you in your car while in the install bay from an amp on their test bench or display. This can give you a realistic idea of what a specific sub will sound like in the appropriate enclosure in your vehicle.

that's not true at all. Car Stereo shops are rigged. the subs aren't just plain out there, they'r ein the proper enclosures, got the right equipemnt going to them, and you can't say "oh, i plugged *whatever* amp to them and they sounded awesome" because there's a big difference listening to a sub in its perfect environment, and listening to it in the trunk of your car.

Now what kind of music do you listen to? do you like rap? (low hitting, low response) or more alternative, music with a fast beat, techno, etc.

You're all naming the popular, "recommended" subs... Alpine, Infiinity, next thing you'll be telling the guy to get JL Audio ;)

Now i went through the same quest you did a few months ago (OK closer to a year and a bit ago) and since then i've had many types, sizes, and brands of subs, so let me know, and i'll help you out.

oh also, you said you'd already got the amp... what kind is it, what class, and what are its specs?

Regards

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stealth_Space
No amp, i have nothing yet b/c i can't make up my mind. I have all of the knowledge to put a stereo in but i know nothing about the "brands" or what is good to buy. I am learning everyday though. I have many ideas for the install but i am still stuck on 2 things. The sub(s) and the amp(s). Do i go with 1 sub or 2. Do i go with 2 amps or 1 system amp. I have had a lot of people tell me to get the JL10w0. For the money the are "supposed" to be great. I personally didn't think so. I want a quick punches out of the subs. the JL didn't do it for me certain songs they couldn't keep up. Any thing you can do to give me info would be much apprciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Stealth_Space
No amp, i have nothing yet b/c i can't make up my mind. I have all of the knowledge to put a stereo in but i know nothing about the "brands" or what is good to buy. I am learning everyday though. I have many ideas for the install but i am still stuck on 2 things. The sub(s) and the amp(s). Do i go with 1 sub or 2. Do i go with 2 amps or 1 system amp. I have had a lot of people tell me to get the JL10w0. For the money the are "supposed" to be great. I personally didn't think so. I want a quick punches out of the subs. the JL didn't do it for me certain songs they couldn't keep up. Any thing you can do to give me info would be much apprciated.
Just FYI, the W0 is JLs cheapest line of speakers and I would not buy them. I do however think their W7 is a nice product.

For your situation, here is a good combo (I am not saying its ONLY good combo, just one of them)

I would run an Alpine Type-R Dual 4 ohm voice coil 12" in a Q-Logic sealed enclosure.

I would power it with a good quality Class D monoblack sub amp (2 or 1 ohm stable) with a minimum of 300-400 watts x1 into 2 ohms.

Wire the subs voice coils in parrallel so the amp sees a 2 ohm load.

-Eli

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
STSEli said:
Just FYI, the W0 is JLs cheapest line of speakers and I would not buy them. I do however think their W7 is a nice product.

For your situation, here is a good combo (I am not saying its ONLY good combo, just one of them)

I would run an Alpine Type-R Dual 4 ohm voice coil 12" in a Q-Logic sealed enclosure.

I would power it with a good quality Class D monoblack sub amp (2 or 1 ohm stable) with a minimum of 300-400 watts x1 into 2 ohms.

Wire the subs voice coils in parrallel so the amp sees a 2 ohm load.

-Eli
Thanks for the input and recomendation
to save space i have to make my own boxes, ill make sure they have the right cubic feet but i still have to make them. 1 sub center box back of trunk. 2 subs one at each corner in back.

S

·
0 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Stealth_Space
No amp, i have nothing yet b/c i can't make up my mind.
OK see later on in this post, i'll make some recommendations

I have all of the knowledge to put a stereo in but i know nothing about the "brands" or what is good to buy. I am learning everyday though. I have many ideas for the install but i am still stuck on 2 things. The sub(s) and the amp(s). Do i go with 1 sub or 2. Do i go with 2 amps or 1 system amp.
Well I always recommend sticking with 2 subs... try to stick with even numbers... 2, 4, 6, 10... unless you're sitting with an extremely powerful speaker, like a JL W7, or an MTX 9500, or another performance speaker. 2 subs you can run at 1 ohm, that's good, and in my experience it's better to run two subs... just overall.

I have had a lot of people tell me to get the JL10w0. For the money the are "supposed" to be great. I personally didn't think so. I want a quick punches out of the subs. the JL didn't do it for me certain songs they couldn't keep up.
Yeah, JL Audio is one of those "popular" brands that because it's popular everyone thinks it's awesome. i disagree. right now i've got two JL Audio 15" W3s (www.f1f3.com/cadillac/) and i'm not happy at all

Any thing you can do to give me info would be much apprciated.
see below
OK, before i make recommendations on subs, amps, boxes, or where to buy your stuff, let's first determine what kind of music you're going to be listening to, and other stuff.

1) What kind of music are you MAINLY going to be listening to... this will determine the SIZE subwoofer to get. will you be listening to rock? techno? trance? heavy metal? rap? R&B? basically songs with little bass but hard, short beats? or will it be songs with long, harder beats? Or both?

2) How much money are you willing to spend on an amp? Subwoofer?

3) Do you want to stick with name-brand parts? or are you willing to go with the less known, but better sounding equipment?

4) What size alternator do you have at the moment, and are you willing to upgrade your alternator size and possibly add a second battery? (this is only if you want hardcore bass ;) )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stealth_Space said:
that's not true at all. Car Stereo shops are rigged. the subs aren't just plain out there, they'r ein the proper enclosures, got the right equipemnt going to them, and you can't say "oh, i plugged *whatever* amp to them and they sounded awesome" because there's a big difference listening to a sub in its perfect environment, and listening to it in the trunk of your car.

Now what kind of music do you listen to? do you like rap? (low hitting, low response) or more alternative, music with a fast beat, techno, etc.

You're all naming the popular, "recommended" subs... Alpine, Infiinity, next thing you'll be telling the guy to get JL Audio ;)

Now i went through the same quest you did a few months ago (OK closer to a year and a bit ago) and since then i've had many types, sizes, and brands of subs, so let me know, and i'll help you out.

oh also, you said you'd already got the amp... what kind is it, what class, and what are its specs?

Regards
SO... what part of what I said did you NOT agree with?
Maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to state?

Shops are not "rigged". If so, let me know how to rig one?

Subs, of course, are not "plain" as they must be in an enclosure (unless it is a free air sub, which does not apply to this vehicle).

Since the sub is in an enclosure, it would make sense to put it in the correct enclosure.. (why would you do anything else?)

They have the "right equipment" going to them (again, why would you want the WRONG equipment in your vehicle?)

There is a big difference in listening to a sub in a perfect environment and listening in your car... yeah, you are right, that is why I stated to get a shop to let you hear it in the vehicle, so you can hear a realistic output! One cool thing about putting subs in a vehicle is an effect called "cabin gain" which basically gives you about a 9dB boost in your output as the vehicle walls reinforce the bass. Subs designed for automotive use usually soung better in the vehicle than in the showroom.

What kind of music? well, that is why i said trust your ears and listen with music you are familiar with... plus, i believe he said "no rap" in an earlier post, though i may be mistaken.

I didnt name any brand of subs in my post.. read it again. However, what is wrong with a name brand sub (all of them have names on them and are made by someone?) I dont understand the point you were trying to make here. *By the way, I think the JL subs (w7) in an enclosure built to manufacturer specs and properly powered will pound A$$ on heavy bass music, but they may not fit his budget or taste.

so... YOU got the subs/amps YOU like that fit your budget? I am guessing that you tried a lot of brands and sizes, and did a lot of LISTENING to them while on your QUEST, right? which is what i recommended .... TRUST YOUR EARS, ultimately.. and not your buddies, message board, intsaller, or any one salesperson. There is nothing wrong with getting lots of opinions, but you stil have to weight the options and decide what is best for you.

Go to shops (which is where the stuff is sold everyday and displayed in proper enclosures with the right amps & cables and properly wired up). Not just one shop, all of them near you.. from the big box retailers to the "mom & pop" single store. LISTEN to them. If the shop is decent, they probably have a way for you to pull your car into the install bay and hear certain subs in your vehicle so you will have a very good idea of what to expect from brand x or y or z.

Brand of amp? i dont think he has purchased an amp yet, if i followed the thread correctly..

Just to clarify also, I am a professional installer (meaning I hold several industry certifications and work in an actual stereo/accessory shop). I have been working professionally (meaning I have earned a very good living and raised a family doing it) as an installer and/or shop manager for 18 YEARS now, so I feel that I do have a pretty good point of reference on this one. I have owned or worked repeatedly with almost every brand in this industry over that time, some that are new emerging companies with really great product and others that have been long gone for several years now.

Anyway.. i don't know why you said my post was not true at all.
Seemed like solid advice for someone newly searching for a decent sub/amp setup.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1) What kind of music are you MAINLY going to be listening to... this will determine the SIZE subwoofer to get. will you be listening to rock? techno? trance? heavy metal? rap? R&B? basically songs with little bass but hard, short beats? or will it be songs with long, harder beats? Or both?

MUSIC: Classic rock, hard rock, country, jazz, fast tempo music, little techno, NO RAP OR R&B.

2) How much money are you willing to spend on an amp? Subwoofer?

Between the sub(s) and amp(s) i want to spend about 400 to 500 bucks

3) Do you want to stick with name-brand parts? or are you willing to go with the less known, but better sounding equipment?

Names mean nothing to me except for headunits.

4) What size alternator do you have at the moment, and are you willing to upgrade your alternator size and possibly add a second battery? (this is only if you want hardcore bass ;) )[/QUOTE]

I am willing to upgrade alternator but i don't want to go that crazy its not a money thing its a i don't care that much.

I am looking for a mild system to sound good and VERY clear. I prefer clarity over loudness

About the rest of the stereo.
Headunit: DONE pioneer DEH-750MP
Front speakers: What ever sounds the best that is on sale
Rear speakers: What ever sounds the best that is on sale
Subs:????
Amp(s) ????

Need recomendation on equipment. I appricate the input on all.

S

·
0 Posts
BigJohnnyC said:
SO... what part of what I said did you NOT agree with?
Maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to state?
i didn't agree with what you said about going to a car audio store, and listening to the subs there...

Shops are not "rigged". If so, let me know how to rig one?
Go to Car Toys...

Subs, of course, are not "plain" as they must be in an enclosure (unless it is a free air sub, which does not apply to this vehicle).
Right. in the PROPER enclosure for them to perform correctly. i never said you were wrong here :)

Since the sub is in an enclosure, it would make sense to put it in the correct enclosure.. (why would you do anything else?)
sometimes it's not possible to put it in the specified enclosure. for instance, some subs demand lots of airspace, which in most cars is not available

They have the "right equipment" going to them (again, why would you want the WRONG equipment in your vehicle?)
once again, sometimes it's not possible to give a sub what it's supposed to get. for instance... some subwoofers have a RMS of 1500W... but how many people feed them their true RMS? hardly any that i know

There is a big difference in listening to a sub in a perfect environment and listening in your car... yeah, you are right, that is why I stated to get a shop to let you hear it in the vehicle, so you can hear a realistic output! One cool thing about putting subs in a vehicle is an effect called "cabin gain" which basically gives you about a 9dB boost in your output as the vehicle walls reinforce the bass. Subs designed for automotive use usually soung better in the vehicle than in the showroom.
no they don't. once again, go to Car Toys... you'll hear the crappiest MTX sub sound good

What kind of music? well, that is why i said trust your ears and listen with music you are familiar with... plus, i believe he said "no rap" in an earlier post, though i may be mistaken.
why "trust your ears" when he can just ask us and get our NON-BIASED opinion :) that's why he's asking here in the first place... so some Car Toys or Tweeter salesman won't lie to him about what's the best subwoofer

I didnt name any brand of subs in my post.. read it again. However, what is wrong with a name brand sub (all of them have names on them and are made by someone?) I dont understand the point you were trying to make here. *By the way, I think the JL subs (w7) in an enclosure built to manufacturer specs and properly powered will pound A$$ on heavy bass music, but they may not fit his budget or taste.
why name brands? Well because name brands are expensive, and are sometimes not the best... of course since you are work with car audio for a living I would have thought you'd know this. let me demonstrate.

Behold... the Kicker 15" L7. Now, have you heard of the Adire Audio Brahma? Not many people have, but two 15" Brahmas will beat the SHIT out of two 15" Solobarics... but Brahmas aren't well known. There are many name brands out there that are good, sure, but name brands cost a lot more than companies that don't have a reputation. and usually the companies that don't have a reputation make better subwoofers than those that do. there are many companies i could mention but i won't, because i'm sure you know what i'm talking about :)

so... YOU got the subs/amps YOU like that fit your budget? I am guessing that you tried a lot of brands and sizes, and did a lot of LISTENING to them while on your QUEST, right? which is what i recommended .... TRUST YOUR EARS, ultimately.. and not your buddies, message board, intsaller, or any one salesperson. There is nothing wrong with getting lots of opinions, but you stil have to weight the options and decide what is best for you.
no, trust your buddies... we all own cadillacs here, and some of us know what sounds good and what doesn't (because we've tried it)... that's why he's asking our OPINION, because we can help him out. rather than try 10 types of subwoofers in his car, spending both time and money, we can make RECOMMENDATIONS to him

Go to shops (which is where the stuff is sold everyday and displayed in proper enclosures with the right amps & cables and properly wired up). Not just one shop, all of them near you.. from the big box retailers to the "mom & pop" single store. LISTEN to them. If the shop is decent, they probably have a way for you to pull your car into the install bay and hear certain subs in your vehicle so you will have a very good idea of what to expect from brand x or y or z.
yeah that i agree with. go to various shops, and try the products that we recommend to you. the smaller shops are almost always better than the big ones

Brand of amp? i dont think he has purchased an amp yet, if i followed the thread correctly..
Quote: "I have been doing some research about the equipment and i have decieded what i want for everything except the sub."

Only later in the thread, after i asked what kind and type of amp he had, did he say he doesn't have one. go back and read the thread again, you'll see

Just to clarify also, I am a professional installer (meaning I hold several industry certifications and work in an actual stereo/accessory shop). I have been working professionally (meaning I have earned a very good living and raised a family doing it) as an installer and/or shop manager for 18 YEARS now, so I feel that I do have a pretty good point of reference on this one. I have owned or worked repeatedly with almost every brand in this industry over that time, some that are new emerging companies with really great product and others that have been long gone for several years now.
No offense man, but i've gone many times to big car audio places, like mobil1, car toys, tweeter, and others in my area. i've asked them some questions, (usually about what kind of subs they recommend and have heard of), and when i tell them what subs i have, they usually laugh, and say they've never heard of them. when they hook the mike up, the smiles usually get wiped off their faces, as they see that subs they've never heard of, are beating the subs that they 'recommend', and i pay half as much as their recommended name brand subs.

Just because you work at a car audio place doesn't mean you know subwoofers ;)

Anyway.. i don't know why you said my post was not true at all.
Seemed like solid advice for someone newly searching for a decent sub/amp setup.
I never said I don't agree with your entire post man, you were trying to help him and that's commendable, so am i, but you said he should go and base his decision on what subs sound like in a car audio shop, in their "sound room"... that's not true at all, and that's what i was saying i didn't agree with :)

Now, we're all in this together, to help this guy out. there's no need to argue about everything, we've all got different opinions and perspectives on parts of this subject, and we're arguing from opposite sides (you being a professional car audio installer, me being someone who's spent years trying different setups) but we're all working toward the same objective: to get this guy a good system, without paying a fortune for it, and to get him good, quality components. wouldn't you agree? :) However, if i did say anything to offend you, i really apologize, no offense was intended. :) ;) :halo:

-----------------

Now let's work together. we'll go one step at a time, first, let's both agree on the SIZE of subwoofer he should get for the type of music he's listening to...

JJHomer: I say since you're not going for Rap and/or R&B (which are typically the types of music with large amounts of bass) rule out getting 15s. 15s are usually just for hitting low, usually with a lot of distortion. I'd say for your type of music (just a little bass, very fast) 10" subwoofer(s) should be good... if you want to increase your capacity for the future, you could get 12", but for your application 10" or maybe even 8" would be good i think. BigJohnny: what do you think?

Oh, and don't worry too much about component speakers (i.e. front and back speakers)... they're usually fairly cheap, for pretty good ones... those are the least of your worries :)

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Stealth_Space said:
you said he should go and base his decision on what subs sound like in a car audio shop, in their "sound room"... that's not true at all, and that's what i was saying i didn't agree with
Maybe you should read his first post again, cause that's really not what he said.

BigJohnnyC said:

later gator.. BigJohnnyC

S

·
0 Posts
yeah it's true i didn't see all his post... i missed the part where he said they install the sub in the car for you to try out... probably cause i've never heard of big retail car audio shops doing this, but if they do that's cool.

i just saw:
and i thought he meant those rooms that Tweeter, Mobil1, cartoys, etc. has with two dozen subs in them and 2 dozen amps, that you can "test"

my mistake

Also remember though... for someone that's never had 'bass' in their car before... even the crappiest subs will sound good, but later on (i.e. once you've bought them) you'll realize the mistake you've made. if there are any car audio places in your area that support actually installing the sub in your car so you can see what it sounds like in your area, then i say go for it. but before you buy a particular sub, come here and tell us what one you had in mind, so we can give some more ideas ;)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stealth_Space said:
Also remember though... for someone that's never had 'bass' in their car before... even the crappiest subs will sound good, but later on (i.e. once you've bought them) you'll realize the mistake you've made. if there are any car audio places in your area that support actually installing the sub in your car so you can see what it sounds like in your area, then i say go for it. but before you buy a particular sub, come here and tell us what one you had in mind, so we can give some more ideas ;)
Great thought Stealth_space, I have never owned a car with subs. I have installed a lot of systems in the past couple of years. Never picked out the equipment just got handed a car and a whole bunch of boxes and was told make this fit and make it look good. You have x amount of extra cash if you need it. You get a case of beer while doing it and a case upon compliation. To give you guys a clue about my knowledge. I thought that my buddies JL10w0 were GREAT but they were a little slow for me. They got plenty loud though. Im not big into the DB levels that some people are just clarity. I am willing to go with an off brand sub b/c i really don't care about the name. As long as it will perform to my expections i am happy with that.

So far i have come to the conclusion that it is good for me to go with 2 10's, now what brand, quaility?
Any thoughts about boxes, should i go with oem boxes or can i get creative and make my own for space reasons (keep in mind i will make them to spec.)

I appciate all of the help that you guys have given me so far and the ideas.

THANKS GUYS

1 - 20 of 32 Posts