Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Row of cars at Dean Team Subaru.

The center stack was a gold-silver color, like Denon home audio equipment. Plays MP3s. Has cruise, tilt, keyless, power this, power that, everything but power seats.

Boxer!

Good thing the salesman brought a jump box. This was his FIRST sale. He was brand new and never worked in auto sales previously. After walking away from Mazda and Hyundai over "WHAT CAN I DO TO GET YOU TO TAKE ONE HOME TODAY" bullcrap, this guy was very easy to deal with.

Some jailbait I caught with my phone.

My mom and aunt waiting for the dealer to come back with a counter-offer.

My aunt, my mom, my brother and sister, and Brandon our salesman.

The car we ended up taking home was a 2008 2.5L 5-door. Had 220 miles on it, about $17k cash. It ended up being over two grand more than we originally wanted to spend, and it was totally worth it.

AWD FTW. My aunt will probably drive this until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Congrats to her. That's a good choice. I overlooked Subaru because it has a higher price than your $15K target.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Cool! I like Subarus....they're not as common as the other Japanese brands, and like the swedish cars, they have a funky charisma to them, just not as much as the swedes. That 2.5 liter is a pretty big engine for a compact sedan...is it pretty punchy? I should take a look at these once I get better. I kinda overlooked Subaru too. How does it feel compared to the Civic and 3?

boxer motors rule.

F
Being horizontally opposed, do they feel different from your normal I-4? Do they have any advantages to the design?

Some jailbait I caught with my phone.

What a day! You buy a new car AND eat Five Guys. I'm jealous. The nearest Five Guys to me is about 90 minutes northwest.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Congrats Jesda! They are very good in crash tests (what hit me in my second accident) :p

I noticed in the picture that #12 has my Ugg boots! :D

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats to her. That's a good choice. I overlooked Subaru because it has a higher price than your $15K target.
Me too. I just kind of showed up on a whim and drove it around, then went home and sang praises.

If it was Jesda's car, the 3 would have won0.

Well, actually, it would have been a used Mazda 6.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Being horizontally opposed, do they feel different from your normal I-4? Do they have any advantages to the design?
They have a disadvantage. If you ever throw a rod it can go through the hood instead of just through the oil pan. :)

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
and the new Foresters and Imprezas have a much bigger feel to them. I know they made them a little bigger, but the seats are more comfy, the interior is nicer and the feel is a lot better for long distance cruising. and it feels as though they thought of the big guys in the design now.

plus, they added fully framed doors, huzzah!

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
^ that's because Subaru is trying to get rid of their "rice-boy" image. Now they design cars for people older then the age of 19.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I think the best looking WRX's were the 06 and 07's, before they got the new bodies.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,986 Posts
Horizontally opposed 4 cyl motors have a single plane crankshaft that requires no counterweights but the torsional vibration is astounding because all four pistons stop at the same time at the top and the bottom of each stroke. To get anything like a smooth output you have to have a flywheel like a manhole cover. Lug these things down in top gear and you might lose your teeth.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Nice choice.

I'll put it like this. My father, the once owner of both a Roadmaster and Fleetwood, and before that only more V8 RWD GM vehicles, decided he wanted to downsize for fuel economy and other reasons, and I just by chance found him a '96 Legacy wagon on Craigslist this past July. It was very local, his ideal refrigerator white, and had his also usual 180k well maintained miles. Got it for $1k and he loves it. Honestly, loves it. This is someone who before swore he'd never have a 4-cyl, FWD/AWD, unibody, etc. anything and he just loves it.

Given how reliable it's already been in the past 8 or so months, PERFECT for his daily uses as a wagon (lots of crap...and he brings home more everyday), it should be with him for a while. It's "gotten him" so much, he now continually talks down my mother's very nice new Malibu piece by piece, and is continually asking me about new Subies when he sees or hears about them, for specs. He either wishes he could have a new one too, or that she'd "see the light" and one day say she's trading the Malibu in for a new Subaru XXX. Not sure. Probably both.

So, again, good choice and if you're going to pick something to honestly go a very long, and even very hard, time...hard to pick better.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Me too. I just kind of showed up on a whim and drove it around, then went home and sang praises.

If it was Jesda's car, the 3 would have won0.

Well, actually, it would have been a used Mazda 6.
Yeah, my dad's got a V6 Mazda 6 and its pretty sweet

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
Congrats on the purchase Jesda, and good thing you got a fresh sales rep, because Dick Dean has an awful reputation in the Subaru community around here. The saying goes, "Dick Dean before Dean dicks you!"

Excellent car to just drive a long time. I just picked up a white 95 Legacy with 183k miles and it's the best 183k mile car I've ever driven, next to some GM truck/van. They're great if you keep up on the maintenance.

They have a disadvantage. If you ever throw a rod it can go through the hood instead of just through the oil pan. :)
Nah, there's a bunch of other stuff it would have to clear before it even hit the hood. Mine hit the intake manifold and all the pieces just landed back onto the block. Yes, I did throw a rod on mine once after I hydrolocked it.

until you need to change spark plugs. ugh...
I've seen worse - like the L05 on my Fleetwood! SOHC Subaru plugs are really easy, I can do it in 15-30 minutes nowadays. DOHC has a little less clearance, but at least you only have to do 4. Last time I had to do it it still only took around half an hour.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts