Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Althought I am generally happy with the Bose system in my '00 STS, I thought the bass was inadequate. What I did was to have a JL Audio sub-woofer installed (JL10 IB4) - it's a 10" sub that fits into the existing hole on the rear seat panel. To drive the sub, I had a JL Audio 250/1 amp installed as well. It fit nicely onto the back of the rear seat, clean, and doesn't take up much space in the trunk. (see pics at URL below)

The entire job, install, components, tax, etc. ran just under $600 here in NJ.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
adding a sub

Since I have a 92 DTS there is no existing hole to slap in a 10" or 12" sub. I have done the 2 10" box in trunk thing and want to keep all my space. My 6 speaker Bose Gold single cd is very crisp and clear and the 6x9's are almost there for bottom end. I have done a lot of research and have decided to add an Infinity Basslink using the line level speaker inputs. It has a remote gain control you install under dash. I found good prices on Ebay for about $200. I listen to classic rock to heavy metal so I need tight bass more so than boomy. I think this will do the trick. Anyone have this sub with stock bose? I would like to hear how you like it. I was thinking of mounting in the cabin (Lots of room under dash?) Not sure yet. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think that to get just enough bass you only need either one 10" sub or maybe 2 8" subs, that way it stays crisp and clean

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I would tend to agree with the "FREAK" here......Crisp and clean Bass comes from 8 to 10 inch subs! Not to be mistaken for the idiots that have to have their subs so loud that everyone has to be subjected to their bad taste in music........I'm actually speaking about real sound quality here! Not just a lot of noise. I like my music LOUD! But clear and crisp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Free-air Sub

I have a 600w kenwood amp that I can bridge to power a 10" sub. I think a custom install in the panel behind the rear seats would be the cleanest. Does anyone recommend a sub that works well without an enclosure? The Infinity basslink looks like a good solution but since I have an amp already I could get a pretty nice sub....what to do,what to do? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also, dts92...you could buy a bazooka tube.. those tend to sound pretty good and you just have to set them in the back and you can switch from car to car if you want

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I had one of those a couple of years ago, I was very impressed with the sound!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I had fairly good results with a powered Bazooka too in my LSC. There aren't a lot of choices in that field so it did fine.

I have been using a 10" Sony X-Plode in a "Q-Logic" enclosure in my Caddy for over a year and LOVE it. Matter of fact, I have to keep the amp turned WAY down because it produces SO MUCH bass. This IS the 2nd driver though, the first one only lasted a month. Maybe the issue you have with Sony subs is a matter of just getting a bad one like I did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I say that because I have had more than one encounter with a bad xplod. 3 of my friends have had them xplod while pushing only 2 or 3 hundred watts to them. Maybe they were all just "bad ones".

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
AGREED! There are MANY better values out there without the reliability problems.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes there are. Go to circuit city and they have 2 10" subs for $79.99. that is cheap....run a couple hundred watts to one of those and you will have great sound.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
im liking my 4 12's :D but rarely do I ever crank em up to make use of it

Im thinking about getting a casket and making one half subs and and the other half a cooler that I can slide out of the car

1 - 20 of 30 Posts