Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 of my friends are arguing about which way you should point your subs (although neither of them have any). One says point 'em forwards so more bass enters the cab. One says point em backwards, because everyone else points them backwards. I positioned mine forwards, then backwards, and I couldn't tell any differance, so I say "shut up you two, no one cares." Can someone tell me who's right?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Compromise and point them to the side!!!

S

·
0 Posts
subs pointed to the back increases the bass that can be heard outside the car.

higher line subs like 15, 18, 24 ", etc. point them back because the lower the frequency the more it has to bounce back (the wavelengths) to be heard, so if it's facing back it will bounce off the back, and head forward, into the cab. there's things you can do to the box to make up for facing the sub pretty much any direction you want, like designing the box right, porting it, etc.

EDIT: to put it simply, it all depends on the kind of subs you have, the kind of amp you're running them off, PARTICULARLY what kind of box/setup you have, what kind of car it's in, and even what kind of music you listen to to an extent *shrugs*. tell us that info and we'll help you more :)

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they're 10" mtx's, each taking 200w rms from a bazooka amp. I have the crossover set at around 90Hz, and the subs will go down to 34Hz (according to the box). They're in a sealed box. It's obviously in a Cadillac :) I don't know why it would make too much of a differance but I listen to rap with a lot of bass. Not very much bass makes it out of the car as it is, there's insulation around the whole trunk.

S

·
0 Posts
you may want to consider "porting" your trunk, whether it be through the backseat armrest, or whatever

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
ok heres what the deal is
pointing towards the rear will give you more bass, but not as clear of a punch, because it bounces off the trunk.
The porting of the trunk idea very rarely works, because u need an airtight trunk for it to sound right, but u can get a ported box....

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, if I seal off the holes for the wires to the sub it would pretty much be sealed. I was considering mounting the subs aiming up, a couple inches under the rear deck, but the trunk is slanted. I also thought of putting a port through behind the fold down armrest, but it's sounding pretty good as it is, and it seems like alot of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts