Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just bought my Cadillac 7 months ago, very good condition W/ 67k miles. Fast forward to now. Just got 2 10inch subs and 1000 watt alpine amp installed and I've been coming across issues of the battery draining. Yesterday my car still had power but not enough to start so I got a jump took it back to the installer and they changed some connector to the amp saying that my market stereo is tricky when sending signals and then also replaced my amp with a 500 watt jl amp. I noticed as I'm driving the battery info fluctuates between 14.3-14.8 while still saying OK and also some mystery service airbag message has popped up on the info system once before the battery died the first time and now again after this 're-install'. Battery has now dies again but not to where the lights aren't cutting on..the car just won't start. As I wait for this jump once again I am wondering of any alumni cadillac owners can give me any insight on key things to ask the installers and if there are any known issues, tips and tricks that you can share with me on installing after market audio parts while still keeping the stock radio. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
03 Cts Sport Luxury
117 Posts
The remote wire is tapped into the wrong fuse. They probably used the radio one and the amp is draining your power. The climate control is what most of us used. Also, tell them to put the 1000 watt back. You paid for it and they swapped it out with a cheaper one. The wattage won't have any effect in regards to draining your battery.

·
Registered
Sold my 03 CTS and went rally car style!
457 Posts
Your voltage will fluctuate with the demand of the subs. Mine bounces from 14.3-13.5 depending on what frequency I am sending my subs. Also suggest when you buy a new battery to go with a AGM style battery to help with maintaining power in your system. I currently have a 78N series Duralast Platinum and it has helped with my voltage drop.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I just wanted to give an update in hopes of ANY feedback. I went and bought a new battery so for almost 2 weeks my system was superb even with the same 500 watt jl amp that I questioned but was shot down because the quality of the sound was better..I admit it was. But then my system all of a sudden started playing extremely loud when the volume was down low randomly here and there. It was like as if someone turned the volume nob all the way up and then it go back down and so forth. Anywho I took it back in once again and they unplugged my after market subs and Mp and told me to to test it out for a few days. They know I'm only off on Mondays but their main reason of doing so is because they are saying it might be a possibility that my stock amp is going bad. Two days have passed and the only incident I can even tell is happening is that my volume keeps fluctuating on its own when I have the volume down really low but none of that crazy bass driven all the way up volume like how it was before when the after market subs and amps were plugged in. So after reading through alllll that, does anyone have any idea of what may be going on or any experience with this situation??? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
A 1000 watt amp? Wow, what a huge waste of power. Today's subs are VERY inefficient, and need a lot of power to generate much volume.

Typically today's subs are 87 db efficient, meaning they need 1 watt to generate a sound pressure level of 87 db.
Give that sub 10 watts and it generates 97 db, give it 100 watts and it generates 107 db, and give it 1000 watts for 117 db.

Go back about 10 years and you could find subs that were 97 db efficient, meaning they could generate 97 db on one watt,
107 db on 10 watts, and 117 db on 100 watts. At 1000 watts they'd die horribly and NOT generate 127 db.

The point I'm making is that today's car audio market is a SCAM. People want to say "Oh, I've got a thousand watt system!",
the big numbers impress them. But it's stupid. You're paying more to get more power but it isn't any louder because the speakers are built to handle the power but at lower efficiency.

You should feel like you're being scammed. Everybody is, if they're buying amps and subs these days.
You're paying more for more watts but not getting any more volume.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
:yeah: The sub itself makes all the difference in the world, not the power going to it. Granted I do run an Orion amp capable of 2,400w at 1 Ohm I have it running at 2 Ohm's and only at about half gain, it feeds a 12" JL W6 and that thing can BANG if I want it to, I could probably blow it up in all reality but I'd rather not do that...

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
I'm just grousing about how people have been sold the MORE WATTS IS BETTER bill of goods. Not your fault, it's the fault of marketing hacks working for the audio companies.
There were some fine subs a few years back that were as good as anything made today, that would get just as loud with a tenth the power.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There are plenty of audio companies that offer higher efficiency subs if you look beyond Walmart and Best Buy.

Sensitivity isn’t what determines maximum output. Output is a function of air displacement. The maximum amount of linear displacement (Vd) you can achieve is limited by your cone area (Sd) and linear excursion (Xmax). As you increase the amount of displacement at your disposal, you increase the potential linear output you can achieve. Even though a driver may have a higher sensitivity, if it’s maximum linear displacement (Vd) is less than that of a driver with a lower sensitivity, the lower sensitivity driver will have the potential for higher levels of output.

The basic summary is that after many factors are taken into consideration, it is impossible to state unilaterally that higher sensitivity drivers will better than lower sensitivity drivers. Generally choosing one driver over another based on sensitivity alone is a bad path to follow. Sensitivity is just one of a multitude of parameters that all conspire together to define the performance of a loudspeaker.

Also be sure to set your gains properly and not send your subs a distorted signal. The gain adjustment is NOT a volume knob.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
Okay I just wanted to give an update in hopes of ANY feedback. I went and bought a new battery so for almost 2 weeks my system was superb even with the same 500 watt jl amp that I questioned but was shot down because the quality of the sound was better..I admit it was. But then my system all of a sudden started playing extremely loud when the volume was down low randomly here and there. It was like as if someone turned the volume nob all the way up and then it go back down and so forth. Anywho I took it back in once again and they unplugged my after market subs and Mp and told me to to test it out for a few days. They know I'm only off on Mondays but their main reason of doing so is because they are saying it might be a possibility that my stock amp is going bad. Two days have passed and the only incident I can even tell is happening is that my volume keeps fluctuating on its own when I have the volume down really low but none of that crazy bass driven all the way up volume like how it was before when the after market subs and amps were plugged in. So after reading through alllll that, does anyone have any idea of what may be going on or any experience with this situation??? Thanks in advance.
When does this volume change occur? Just randomly while you are driving, or when you turn off your car?

KOT

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Somebody needs to market a guided missile that will home on and destroy that goddam thud! thud! thud! noise going down the street in front of my house.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Somebody needs to market a guided missile that will home on and destroy that goddam thud! thud! thud! noise going down the street in front of my house.

I would rather have a missile that home in on rattling trunks from people not doing installs right and Harleys/fart cans that make a metric **** ton of noise with little output.

----------

It does sound like a deck problem and the reason you are not hearing bass is because they (The shop) removed it from the equation by unhooking the amp (If I read that correctly).

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
dkozloski said:
I agree I hate those setups
I prefer clean bass not the braaappp braaappp type noise bass that makes the vehicle next to them shake(had this happen to me one at a red light and it made me wish I had monster truck tires on my escalade and just flattened the jacka$$ on the spot seriously (it wouldn't have been hard to do as it was a Honda)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree I hate those setups
I prefer clean bass not the braaappp braaappp type noise bass that makes the vehicle next to them shake(had this happen to me one at a red light and it made me wish I had monster truck tires on my escalade and just flattened the jacka$$ on the spot seriously (it wouldn't have been hard to do as it was a Honda)
Even with my setup now and the one that will be in my car in the future I always turn my radio down when at stop lights. My deck has a quite button that instantly drops the volume down by 75% or so then when you hit it again it rolls the volume back to 100% of whatever volume you had it at.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
TheBrown57 said:
Even with my setup now and the one that will be in my car in the future I always turn my radio down when at stop lights. My deck has a quite button that instantly drops the volume down by 75% or so then when you hit it again it rolls the volume back to 100% of whatever volume you had it at.
I thank you for respecting others around you when your at a red light

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just use the auto volume feature in my Pioneer. The faster the car goes, the louder it gets.

KOT
I've never liked that feature but that's just me. I also turn down my volume after 9pm when going into neighborhoods and I don't turn it up until after 9am in them as well. I know my car is loud and I know I don't want to hear peoples stereos when I'm trying to sleep.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
TheBrown57 said:
I've never liked that feature but that's just me. I also turn down my volume after 9pm when going into neighborhoods and I don't turn it up until after 9am in them as well. I know my car is loud and I know I don't want to hear peoples stereos when I'm trying to sleep.
I have a neighbor who does that now it's not cool

Auto volume is ok but I know most features are just sales gimmicks

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's happening when the volume is low to where it turns up extremely loud. They unhooked the system and said to drive on my stock amp and see if it was the factory amp going out and I didn't have any problems at all. It's still unplugged and I'm not sure where to go from here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts