Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 90 deville stutters occasionally when the fuel drops below the 4 gallon mark. it is starting to occur more and more often. i usually refill at 4 gallons but money has been tight and i have let it go as low as 2 gal. is this normal or is there a possible problem with my car?

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
GM had a service bulletin on those cars that the fuel sock was too short and caused stalling in turns when at 5 gallons and below.

Fix? Replace fuel sock with new deisgn or keep it above 4 gallons. My 91 Bonneville suffered badly of that too. I could run out at 1/4 tank sitting on a slight grade. But once I replaced the pump/sock, I could run that sucker nearly bone dry.

Be cautious running it low, it runs the pump warm (as it is fuel cooled) and has been long since believed to cause premature failures.

It isn't a job I like to do, and I have done it 2x, and it sucked both times. The latter with 18 gallons of gas in the tank!!!

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I had similar problem with my 93 Deville except it would happen with less than six gallons in the tank and during hard cornering. To make long story short, I replaced entire tank assembly with pump. Problem disappeared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts