Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the maggie on and haven't coughed up the hundred bucks Magnuson wants for their strut brace ... mod money is just about depleted. (For those who don't know, the stock one won't fit over the maggie.)

Is this thing really needed? If so, under what conditions? ... hitting bumps while doing some hard cornering? Does it provide important stiffness up there?

Reactions: Chef

·
Registered
196 Posts
FWIW A few years ago I instrumented the stock strut brace on my Civic with a couple strain gauges. Then I drove an auto-x course and measured the weight transfer through the brace. In the end I got a plot showing load versus time and you could easily see the force through the bar that occured during all the hard cornering maneuvers especially with braking. The max load was about a 150lbs axially. Not sure if that is significant, but I thought it was cool. The V being about 1200lbs heavier seems like it could benefit a bit more from some added rigidity.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Simply put...you need it. Support, load, cornering balance and front chasis assistance...etc. etc.

I have a stock LS6 emblem bar hanging around here somehwere if somebody wants to offer me something for it...Great condition...

Oh yeah...sorry.

:thumbsup:You need it..

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Simply put, as you throw the V around, the chassis will flex. When it does, your camber changes. Connecting the strut towers limits the camber change between the 2 and keeps more of the tire's contact patch on the road.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2010 CTS V soon... =)
820 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual
492 Posts
I have a 3.6 CTS and when I installed the STB the car handled better than ever and I felt a marked improvement in front end stiffness. I would reccomend not going without one.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm-m ... that's what I figured. I'm calling Magnuson tomorrow and ordering one. There goes another C note pi$$ed away. :mad: This darn mod disease is sure taking a toll!

I've also heard that the Magnuson brace is weaker than the stock one. Anybody share that observation?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Interesting. Do you think BMR's stronger unit is a wortwhile mod?
BMR Cadillac CTS-V Stainless Steel Strut Tower Brace. The OE strut tower brace for the Cadillac CTS-V is purely cosmetic and does little for handling. Made from 1" x .083" square tubing, you can practically bend it over your knee.
Except the bar doesn't see much bending load sooo....for $250 I say your money can much better spent.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Basically what I said.:bouncy:

:thumbsup:

I got mine on e-bay for a buck fiddy and shrew the V logo on it. It is worth it...

I've also heard that the Magnuson brace is weaker than the stock one. Anybody share that observation?
IMO - No way is the maggie strut worse than the oem..

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
From the link Chef provided, yes. It seems there is some compression that will bend the strut towers over time and the stronger bar will help in this regard.

As for a newer V, the bar's main job is to tie the towers together. For that, it seems the stock brace will do a sufficient job.

I have a BMR brace that I bought used from another forum member. Unless I do some bending, I cannot get it on my strut towers. So either my towers have deformed or the previous owner's have. Interesting questions with some interesting answers...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
From the link Chef provided, yes. It seems there is some compression that will bend the strut towers over time and the stronger bar will help in this regard.

As for a newer V, the bar's main job is to tie the towers together. For that, it seems the stock brace will do a sufficient job.

I have a BMR brace that I bought used from another forum member. Unless I do some bending, I cannot get it on my strut towers. So either my towers have deformed or the previous owner's have. Interesting questions with some interesting answers...
As a potential point of reference - my 2005 V has been driven on the street only, and most of its 14k miles are have ocurred on straight roads. The strut bolts are 39.5 inchs (rear) and 35.25 inches (front) apart measured center-to-center.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts