Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
349 Posts
Creative steel sells both a short throw shifter, and a bronze bushing.

Add in their poly shifter rail bushings and that's about as good as it gets short of a custom fit MGW. (Good luck with that).

The Hurst short throw is also a good option. I preferred the creative steel shifter overall myself. I have owned both. Black Friday sale is coming up, snatch up the shifter and bushings a bit cheaper during the sale.

If that doesn't work, you may need internal work on the T56. They will never be a direct shift feel unless you really open the wallet up and do a tr6060 with falcon tail shaft.

-Byron

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
49 Posts
Most of my shifter play ended up being from the dumb undersized allen-drive crossbolt at the bottom of the shifter shaft. Once I put a high grade bolt in there, and tightened it down enough to squeeze the outer arms tight against the inner bushing race, it actually felt pretty good. I think that ended up being about 50% of it right there. Removing the rubber isolator in the shift shaft with a custom rigid one (like the creative steel one) was maybe 25% of it. I think changing all the bushings in the mechanism made a negligible difference, and the last 25% is probably internal to the transmission.

I don't know what GM was worried about. Even going rigid everything there's hardly any vibration through my shifter at the end of it all.

·
Registered
2005 CTS V
7 Posts
I am really interested in your shifter fix jcozine. Was this done from inside the car, or was the transmission dropped?

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
49 Posts
You have to do it from under the car, but I was able to get the job done wrapping my arms around either side of the transmission and using mirrors and extensions. It's a little bit of a hassle but iirc the alternative is dropping the exhaust and rear transmission mount and letting it droop to get more room. The only thing that really sucks about that is breaking the exhaust bolts loose at the cat, but if you've done it recently (so they're free) that's probably the better option. Also you'll need a friend to support both ends of the exhaust while you move it out of the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts