Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To some it might be stupid but not to me. I am in Mississippi and it's done got hot. My wife says she need air or else:thepan: The code is AC1314, I know this code means Evaporator Inlet Temp Sensor Open Circuit, but how do I fix it?
Thanks

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Engage a mechanic, but don't let your wife know.

With all of the mechanics on the forum, you should have some answers today. Me not that smart.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Ranger or one of the more experienced techs should be able to get you some answers. Trust me, you dont want to piss your wife off with a hot car... it goes real bad.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,971 Posts
I think the "cut off" switch might be the low pressure switch. By definition I would think the evaporator inlet temperature switch would be near the evaporator inlet. A FSM would be invaluable as would the year of your car. If you can locate it, check the connector. Other than that, I will defer to Ewill3rd or one of the other techs.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
That's not a stoopid question -- you should see mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess this is not as stupid question as I thought. Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Check the sensors on the AC plumbing under the hood to see if they are disconnected or have a broken wire. I had a problem with my CDV where it was throwing an AC high side over temperature code and shutting the AC down. Turned out to be a bad BCM, so keep in mind the sensors could be OK but the computer's gone south. Start with the sensors first and work your way back. If you can't find anything wrong with the sensors take it to an AC shop and have them check the pressures in the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, yesterday I unhooked the low temp sensor and put a paper clip in the connector to jump it, ran the codes and it said AC1314 history. Reckon this means a bad sensor?

·
Super Moderator
86,971 Posts
Seeing as you took the sensor out of the loop and it went to history, I would suspect the sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ranger, this problem has been giving me fits. I will try a new sensor today and post the results.

·
Super Moderator
86,971 Posts
You will most likely need to have the system evacuated to R & R the sensor. Then Vacuum it down before recharging it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Re: oil alert

I need help with a message I keep getting that say's 'check oil level' but the oil level is fine. I've tried changing the oil but the problem does not go away. It's annoying not to mention scary. I love my 96' Eldorado any idea's ?

·
Super Moderator
86,971 Posts
:tisk: Don't hijack the thread. Start a new one. Your problem is simple. Will answer in new thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ranger, that did the trick. I put the new sensor in, vacuum the line and two cans of freon later cold air and a happier wife.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sorry I am late.

The evaporator inlet temp sensor is a "thermistor" or a device that changes resistance with temperature. The cycling switches or cutoff switches are simple switches that open or close depending on pressure.

The temp sensors will usually set codes if you do something like disconnect and jumper them with a paperclip, that would be a shorted condition which is a failure. The computer applies a voltage accross the resistance and knows the temperature by the "voltage drop" accross the sensor.
It uses that information to control system operation (so the evaporator doesn't freeze up).

Sometimes they fail because someone worked on the car and put the orifice tube in backwards. I have seen it happen a few times.
It can be really hard to fix if the orifice tube won't come out.

Glad to hear it is fixed already.

Nice work!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts