Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: In case you want to get to the point, my question is... Can i use some indoor outdoor krylon paint on everything in the grille opening?

So i got my grill today :D but then read through the instructions and its complicated. Every one online is saying its so easy that you dont need any instructions, that its an extremely easy swap. So since i couldnt find info online about putting in a new grill i looked through this printed out instruction page i have. Everything seems to make sense, but the part im having trouble with is that i have to paint everything inside the grille opening after taking a scotch brite pad to it. And i have no clue what paint i should use. Ive got some black indoor outdoor spray paint, could i just use that?

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Alright guys so i went and did it, took forever, and i had to take like 50 pain pills cuz my back was hurting so bad. Anyways i just bought this E&G Classic Mesh Grille, and its beautiful. The only problem was that there was no center mounting part in the fender or anywhere in the car for the center tab of the grille to line up with for the screw placement. Then i didnt get enough foam tape to put around the grille just barely enough around the sides. From a distance this looks beautiful but up close it looks like a disaster lol. Is this how it was supposed to turn out?

Just in case your wondering about the paint problem i had... I was confused at what paint i could use, then read i could use krylon indoor outdoor paint, So all i basically had to paint was part of the chassis and parts of the radiator, otherwise in broad daylight you could see the radiator as well as the chassis through the grill.

Finished pictures

Gap under the grille and the foam tape u can clearly see stops after a certain point.

Heres the gap above the grill, its not too bad considering its below eye level 98% of the time.

Theres a gap this big on either side of the bottom mesh piece.

On top of that the emblem which is now lightly super glued on still sticks out a bit. Would a new emblem fix this? Or would i have to heat the emblem and bend it to fit? You can even see some of the super glue that dripped down which is pissing me off and i dont know how to get rid of it.

And finally...

These are the pieces i am left with, a screw that had nothing to screw into like the instructions said their would be, but its not an extremely important screw. Then all the plastic plugs left over from inside the car. And the weird thing which is the shiny metal almost U shaped things that were never mentioned in my instructions, so i didnt know what to do with them.

All in all i have to say it was a success due to the fact that its not an eye sore and that this was my first time ever taking anything apart in the car other than swapping the side markers for smoke ones.

Should i redo it? Is there anything i can do to make it look better? Because its still sub par imo.
Im also thinking about painting the mesh black and keeping the rest chrome, because it would match these stick on side vents that are identical to the grill other than having black mesh instead of chrome.

Thanks so much for having the patience to read all of this, and for any input you give. :)

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
the OEM v-grille is the ONLY choice for this application. your grille looks good, but the original is awesome.

"Im also thinking about painting the mesh black and keeping the rest chrome, because it would match these stick on side vents that are identical to the grill other than having black mesh instead of chrome."

stick on side vents??? the last time a checked, they came on the 2008 with these and they are not STUCK on .

X

·
0 Posts
haha.. reminds me of when I did my swap... i ended up with a handfull of plastic tabs as well.

looks good though, if you didnt point it out, I wouldn't have noticed any of the imperfections

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks guys.

and what were u saying about the side vents being stuck on? U mean like cant get them off stuck, idk i was just thinking of making a couple or a few and making them look real clean not all bootleged with the paint showing through.

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i know i didnt have enough masking tape lol. I figured i wouldnt get any on there at all but some how i wound up doing it :thepan: But dont worry I got a clay bar ready. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts