Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just pulled over tonight (luckily by a state trooper who let me go no fuss, a town cop would have certainly written me a ticket) for my brake lights. Luckily the LED is working just fine. He said the driver side one is out completely and the passenger seemed intermittent. I know I can take it back to the dealer to get fixed but I'd like to take care of this tomorrow and they are of course closed on Sunday.

I didn't really mess with it since it's dark and I'm tired. I know the bulbs are probably cheap at the auto parts store so I guess my question is are they easy to get to? Any tools necessary to get to them through the trunk? I'm assuming that I just pull back the trunk liner and they should be right there or am I just way off base?

Any idea why the passenger side would be intermittent?

Any help, as always, is more than appreciated. The auto parts store closes as six tomorrow so I hope someone can chime in before then! I think I'll have to pick up a Haynes manual while I'm there as well...

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Bad ground on the socket I think. If you do a search here with keywords 'ground brake light socket' you might find it. That is just my guess.

If you still have a Dealer who will fix that stuff for free let them worry about it, but that's just me, i have another car with no free fixes from a dealer to worry about...among other things. :)

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6DI AWD
932 Posts
I changed mine a few weeks back and it was pretty easy. The only tool I needed was a monkey wrench, i think. Got the lights from the auto parts store and took about 5 minutes to change.

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
89 Posts
If one side is intermittent, it is not a bulb problem. Bulbs either work, or don't.
Make sure you check the fuses for the tail lights, and it might be a good idea to check the wiring, with mine, some of the tail light wires were rubbing against one of the mounting screws for the tail light assembly, which caused several lights to short out, and it blew the fuses. Bulbs were in perfect working condition.

·
Registered
2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???
219 Posts
mine play up often. usual cause is water in the light unit that splashes around and gets the bulb holder wet.
pull back the trunk liner and undo the 3 10mm nuts that hold the light unit.
quite a stupid design, i mean, unbolting a complete assembly to change a bulb is crazy.
just wait until you need to change a bulb thats on the trunk lid, the complete light unit has to be unbolted.
the same thing happens with the lights on that, water somehow gets inside and wets the bulb holders. i have a trunk tail light that has a rusty bulb holder.
i guess water ingression and the backend of a seville go pretty much hand in hand, if it rains much more here i'm gonna have to chlorinate the spare tyre well.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Lots of Sevilles had water leaking problems in trunk. To overcome this immediate problem, new bulbs might work unless pigtails are rusted or corroded. Then cutting and splicing pigtails is very easy.

Your idea of cheap bulbs is ... Stupid bulbs are now as much as $5.00. Oh, well, such is life.

Getting to bulbs is not a diff problem. Few screws or small nuts, etc.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts