Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you guys had mechanics forget?

So far with my cts I've had them forget,

Had strut mounts replaced at a dealership, they forgot to tighten lug nuts on one wheel. could have lost a wheel on that one. Only noticed because of the constant ticking of the calipers after a few miles, I could undo them with my fingers.

Muffler shop, I had them weld on my xpipe, they put one of my clamps from my borla resting right against some metal on the body. horrible rattling, jacked up my car to move it.

Body shop (dealership) had rear bumper put on they forgot to put push pins securing the fender liner it was sitting there ready to fall out.

Radiator flush, they forgot to put my rad cap back on.

New winter tires put on, they forgot to put my center caps back on.

Oil change (dealership) forgot to put my oil cap back on.

Recently, had my differential changed, they forgot to tighten one of my torsion bars, made noise over bumps and braking. Bolt was only finger tight.

Me, when I put my hood on I drove to the body shop to get paint, and when I opened my hood to show the guy, my cordless drill was sitting in the engine bay. Not only was that embarrassingly funny, it could have easily fell into my belt or fans.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
that just goes to show that we are all human and always have to check after ourselves and other's

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I had the rocker gasket replaced on my 03 cts, the shop only put 1 bolt holding the water pump, it was loose, they did not connect the ground wire, they tucked it in against something else and there was 1 other bolt they missed but I forget what it was.
I forgot to put the oil cap on my old car once and drove 100km on the highway lol big mess..
Bodyshop only put 1 of 4 bolts on to hold the bumper on my truck..I'm talking about the metal bumper not the bumper cover, and that 1 bolt was loose
They bodyshop missed a lot of other things as well but I won't get into that......
I'm sure we have all left a tool under the hood at some point, I know I have.
Rim shops leaving center caps off my gf's jag..I think they wanted to keep 1 it was the passenger rear missing, I almost drove off.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya i might leave a screw driver or wrench under the hood from time to time, I,ve even heard clang clang clang as a wrench hit the ground while driving (then I know i need a new wrench of some size) But never the size of my cordless drill lol. The bodyshop manager was like "you might not want to leave that in there." I know we both saw it at the same time as I opened the hood lol.
I think I actually get more mad when Mcdonald's forget to put my F**n straw in the bag, then when a mechanic forgets something(as long is it's not serious).

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
I think I actually get more mad when Mcdonald's forget to put my F**n straw in the bag, then when a mechanic forgets something(as long is it's not serious).
That is why I personally go into the restaurant than threw the drive threw. Then I only can get made at myself for not getting the straw.

But when I do go threw the drive threw, I always some how end up having an extra straw. That extra straw finds it's way into the glove box. Yes there have been a few times that the people forgotten to put a straw in the bag. But I always open my glove box. :)

I will never forget that guy from Australian who put a crap load of stuff in the engine bay when he went on a camping trip. The most dangerous thing was a propane tank. I wish that I could find the video on it, but I can't.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
lol this is funny. the most annoying thing ever is changing a bulb and then securing the intake or fuse box without putting the dust caps back on first! ive also put the oil cap on before replacing the big plastic cover but thats not a big deal. i just feel really stupid afterwards. especially wen im in a huge hurry!

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
How about instead of a "stupid" mechanic, how about a "horror" mechanic?

A few years ago, someone had told me that they brought their car to wal-mart for an oil change. I don't know what kind of car, but either way he got a few miles down the road only to have his car die. Turns to find out that wal-mart's finest forgot to put the new oil in. He was in the middle in having wal-mart to pay for a new engine. But they were trying to say "we're not responsible for damage done from services done at wal-mart."

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet
835 Posts
I've once had a mechanic disconnect a spring-lock connection for a fuel line with a series of flat end screwdrivers. If anyone has any familiarity with the correct tool for doing this... it is flat out amazing how easy it is to disconnect this line by using the proper tool. It's also amazing how cheap and common this tool is. Oh...and how friggn' troublesome it must have been for the "professional" to disconnect such a line with a series of screwdrivers while this tool exists. The fitting looked like they used explosives too.
---
Another tech "massaged" a gas tank to get a set of tailpipes to fit causing a gasoline leak without telling me. It only leaked when it more than a 1/2 tank of fuel in it. The SR-71 Blackbird leaked too. No big deal, right???
---
Another... since a tech didn't know what an electrical harness was for, he just threw it over the engine compartment and called it a day. That's a quote too from the tech. Just because you don't know what the wiring is for, don't bother to reassemble the vehicle like you found it. Why have all those clips on the harness...that could have saved the manufacturer some money and they are just a waste of time anyway. It can't be too important, right?? Meanwhile, it was on the verge of getting tangled in the accessory belts - no damage can happen there either. Oh, and don't bother install the radiator cover... it will fall off anyway and I won't notice it missing. Fugg'n dealers.
----
Service Writer: "What can we do for you?"
Me: "My lower power steering hose is leaking pretty good at where the hose meets the crimp for the fitting."
..1 hour later
Service Writer: "We didn't find any leaks on the power steering system but we wiped off the hose and checked the fluid level. All looks fine."
Me: Huh? ... WTF? (thoughts of disbelief)
...next visit to the dealer
Service Writer: "What can we do for you?"
Me: "Here's a picture of the leak you couldn't find but wiped off." (jab)
Service Writer: "Does it drip?"
Me: "Does that matter? It's under warranty. It's leaking."
Service Writer: "I'll have my guy look at it."
Me: "thank you."
Service Writer: "You need a new lower power steering hose."
Me: "Really?"
---
Can't tell you how many times I have had a tech explained to me how something worked when his explaination was complete B.S. If you are not a technician then you know nothing about cars.
---
Know of a tech that insisted that a customer's brakes needed to be replaced. Dumbarse didn't know the brakes were recently replaced at the same dealership. "You're fired!!" (I'm sure other problems led to this)
---

Frank: "Hey Joe, that was a real cool burnout you did in that parking lot near my work!"
Joe: "Really?!?!?!?!?!" My f___ing car is at the dealership right now!!!! Are you sure that was my car?"
Frank: Oh sh__!!! Yea, I recognized the [vanity] plate!
Joe: "I'll be right back."
- Tech was fired and new tires installed.

---

...this is just a few examples of my experience why I do my own work and I hate going to a dealership for any kind of service whether it is under warranty or not!

(done venting)

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
I knew this one guy who bought a brand new Honda Accord. He took delivery of it during the summer days and such. He was an older man, so he didn't really drive at night because he would be at home sleeping. So needless to say he didn't notice this problem that he had from day one until the winter months sat in and the days got shorter. He noticed that the dome light wasn't working, so he brought it into the dealer and the dealer replaced the fuse. Only to have it blow as soon as the door was open. Fuse and bulb in the dome replace. Blows again right away. Put double the amps in for the fuse just as a test. Yup, blows again. The dealer told the guy they will have to have the car for a day to do farther test.

On the next visit, they tested the fuse panel and couldn't find anything. So they continued with taking the dashboard apart. The A pillar and such, still all the fuses was blown. Of course by now they bought a package of those circuit breakers. lol

Well they finally took down the head liner and found a wire, hand written note and a screw holding them into the roof. The note stated "So how long did it take you to find this *******?"

The next day, the person who worked at the factory was fired.

Costumer was given the extra circuit breakers. :)

KOT

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
What have you guys had mechanics forget?

So far with my cts I've had them forget,

Had strut mounts replaced at a dealership, they forgot to tighten lug nuts on one wheel. could have lost a wheel on that one. Only noticed because of the constant ticking of the calipers after a few miles, I could undo them with my fingers.

Muffler shop, I had them weld on my xpipe, they put one of my clamps from my borla resting right against some metal on the body. horrible rattling, jacked up my car to move it.

Body shop (dealership) had rear bumper put on they forgot to put push pins securing the fender liner it was sitting there ready to fall out.

Radiator flush, they forgot to put my rad cap back on.

New winter tires put on, they forgot to put my center caps back on.

Oil change (dealership) forgot to put my oil cap back on.

Recently, had my differential changed, they forgot to tighten one of my torsion bars, made noise over bumps and braking. Bolt was only finger tight.

Me, when I put my hood on I drove to the body shop to get paint, and when I opened my hood to show the guy, my cordless drill was sitting in the engine bay. Not only was that embarrassingly funny, it could have easily fell into my belt or fans.
Remind me to avoid buying any of your vehicles!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Some of the mistakes I have made would likely blow you guys right out of the water.
I'll keep them to myself.
Suffice it to say we live and learn.
Some of todays screwups might actually turn out to be good techs someday.
Of course some of them will never learn. :(

The bulk of my flubs were when I drove a tow truck. That is probably more than I should say right there.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Years ago, dead of winter in Minnesota, one of the bolts holding the starter in my 1979 Dodge St. Regis came loose and fell out. Not wanting to lay on my back in -20 weather, took it to the dealer.

Charged me $50 + $3 for a new bolt.

A week later I start the car up and there's this jingling sound. Get under the car and the mechanic had just reefed down the one existing bolt, not even bothering to put the missing bolt in (that they charged me for). Over tightening the bolt cracked the starter housing, the parts fell into the bell housing, messed up the ring gear, and the over tightened bolt broke off when I tried removing it. Dealer tried to blame *me*. Nevertheless they ended up eating the $1500 for a new torque converter, re-tapping the bolt hole, starter, tow, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts