Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the second time in 2 months, I've had to put a cam and lifters in another dodge truck with a Hemi. Each truck had the needle bearings fall out of a roller lifter, thus destroying the cam lobe under it. The brilliant design of this Hemi has the lifters under the heads. So head removal is necessary to change the lifters. These trucks are so big it absolutely tears my old body up working on the engine. The backs of my thighs are black and blue and several bruises on both calves. Sorry I know it's not Cadillac related but I needed to rant. Give me a caddy engine over a Hemi any day!!!

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stingroo said:
Remove heads to do Hemi lifters... Remove entire engine and cradle to do Northstar heads. Be careful what you wish for, friend.
I do northstars all the time, love them

C

·
0 Posts
The GM LS engine rockers do the same thing my boy friend always has me ordering trunion upgrades for projects he is doing.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Toyota... all of the newer pickup trucks are difficult to work on. A lot of this is due to the fact that they are now cramming the drivetrains behind the front axle, under the cab to help weight distribution. Maintenance becomes more unpleasant every generation. Lot's of straining and reaching.

That said, I think it's worth it. I'm amazed that the new pickups almost drive and ride like cars.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,198 Posts
Off topic, but are the "Hemi's" of today true Hemi's (Hemispherical combustion chambers) or just a marketing ploy to hold on to a name from the glory days?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,900 Posts
Yes, they're updated design hemispherical combustion chambers. Our Northstars are a "semi-hemi" in that the chamber is a clover leaf shaped pent-roof design with the spark plug roughly in the center - and it's very close in shape to the 4-valve Chrysler Corp. new hemi heads.

The older Chrysler hemi heads are true "hemis" - two valves, one plug.

Newer ones with 4 valves are a bit different.

........ and a Northstar

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
When it comes to cars, I'm kind of stuck in the 80's and 90's. Just enough technology to keep you guessing, but no so much that you're ready to kill puppies every time you have to open the hood. My GM cars have usually been pretty easy to diagnose problems on. I hope I have to never buy anything newer than a 1995 - but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,900 Posts
It was bad enough hand-lapping 8 valves, much less 16 - and now 32 !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,016 Posts
There haven't been any true "hemi" engines since the 1930's. Geometrical hemispherical combustion chambers on a square bore and stroke engine give you a compression ratio about 5:1. All engines now days have a flattened hemi shape, a humped piston, or both. Chrysler hemi engines are now and have always been pure hype. The earliest hemi Dodge truck engines had trouble with oiling to the top of the valve train. Good money was made selling external oil delivery kits for these pigs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts