Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Here's something that has stumped me for a long time: My cornering lamps on my 89 deville never light up when I turn on the turn signal. I've replaced the bulbs, checked fuses, still nothing, connections look good.

Read everything in the Haynes, Chilton and official shop manual. According to them could it be I need a replacement turning signal switch located in the steering column?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Most likely cause IS the turn signal switch. It COULD also be a broken wire within the column, usually located around the tilt point in the column (wires get fatigued over time and break).

·
Registered
1993 Sixty Special, 1991 Allante
138 Posts
Coupe deBill said:
Hi,

Here's something that has stumped me for a long time: My cornering lamps on my 89 deville never light up when I turn on the turn signal. I've replaced the bulbs, checked fuses, still nothing, connections look good.

Read everything in the Haynes, Chilton and official shop manual. According to them could it be I need a replacement turning signal switch located in the steering column?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOT

Hi Coupe deBill or anyone else who had this problem,

Did you ever figure out what was causing your problem? I have just started encountering the same problem. Yesterday I noticed that my turn signals seemed to blink slowly so I got out to look at the exterior lights and noticed the cornering lamps were not working at all. I removed one lamp assembly and checked the bulb which was fine. I changed the turn signal flasher hoping it would cure the cornering lamp problem as well. It did cure the slow blinkers but did nothing for the cornering lamps.
How many of you guys have had this happen and what did it take to fix it?

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville
1,068 Posts
I know this may sound stupid. But some of the cars I have seen the cornering lamps only work when the headlamps are on. It is that way on my friends 92 deville, but the opposite on my90 seville. Try that and retest. Let me know, Im curious about it now.

Blaze

·
Registered
1990 Deville w/ 250,000 mi
280 Posts
my 90 deville cornering lights don't work and I have narrowed down the problem to something in the steering column. If anyone figures it out I would love to get mine working!

·
Registered
1995 Deville Concours
74 Posts
I too am having this problem. I have new lamps in my right turn signal, but it still does the frenetic "Bulb is bad" rapid-flash turn signal indicator. My left sides work just fine, from what I can tell (Technically the front lamp mount got ripped off, so I don't know that it works or not, but the running light that is still attached works...), but my left side doesn't work despite being replaced. And it is only my front right side that doesn't work.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You're having some other problem. The flasher doesn't care if the cornering lights are burnt out or not and doesn't do anything to tell you. If you're sure all the bulbs are good there's probably a bad socket or broken wire somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well Good golly. This post is over a year old. LOL

Blaze

Well In my opinion,The date of ANY Post in these forums is irrelevant to those of us driving a 'older' model.

By the way ill make sure to post my fix,when its done as I like those cornering lamps and have ZERO other turn sig issues.Ill change the switch in the column and let yall know

kk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts