Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 SLS w/80k.
Just had the new SS fuel rails installed at St.Claire. Now when I accelerate slightly it sumbles until it downshifts. Also, I am now getting a single pop noise, then it downshifts. Huh? Once it down shifts everything is smooth, but the stumble may be so slight, I don't notice it. This occurs when going from a stable RPM, then accelerate, regardless of what rpm I'm going. I know if I go back, they are going to tell me it wasn't caused by what they did, so I'd like to go armed with some knowledge. It almost seems like some type of vacumn leak?? Any ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
There have been several threads about this. It's probably your plug wires. They don't last indefinitely (usually in the 100K to 125K range) and moving them seems to shorten their life somewhat.

You're probably getting a misfire under certain conditions but not enough to light the SES light.

It's also possible to have an injector, fuel filter, or fpr problem but the wires would be my first thought.

·
Super Moderator
86,061 Posts
I had the exact same problem after the recall as have many others. It's your wires. They will tell you that they are 10 years old and due to be replaced anyway. They must be moved out of the way to do the fuel rail and that causes old brittle, heat cycled wires to go bad. Save yourself the trouble and expense and replace them yourself. OEM wires are not cheap but are a sure thing. Aftermarkets have had less than favorable reports. I got mine from http://www.rockauto.com in two days for $112 or so. If you think that is expensive, wait til you get the dealer price.

P.S.
Do the plugs while your at it. A/C Delco 41-950's

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
I had the exact same problem, and I solved it by doing exactly what zonie and Ranger said. AC-Delco wire set 748J and AC-Delco 41-950 plugs. The difference was amazing. Lots of others who had the SS fuel rail installed had the same problem and solved it the same way.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out... Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
mcowden