Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Took the Allante out for a drive this morning....cleared all codes beforehand....started up ok....couple of minor misses....on the way way back the service engine soon light came on as it did yesterday and the engine started the studdering and pulsating again(only in a stopped position..not on the highway)...po 36current came up again....in the data area po7 or bo7 for the raw pintle was 118 which appears to me to be out of range...I did replace the EGR valve earlier...not so sure what this all means ...I looked int the service manual but have a little difficulty with reading the flow charts....don't know where this is going but I havean ICM coming to replace...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I put in a new EGR valve along with the other things and no change so I am kind of ruling the valve out......I can see that not being a certified mechanic these things can be on the difficult side....the diagnostics charts do point to other things like a broken wire etc....I'm willing to replace a couple more parts but may have to take it in to a dealer.....do you think this should be some relatively easier fix than difficult for them?...thanks again

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,587 Posts
Probably need to pay them to learn a quarter century old engine system. I'd pull the EGR and see if it moves properly, might be a manufacturing defect. Did it have both a vacuum and an electrical connection ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thanks for getting back to me....My EGR valve on my 93 has two bolts and a 5pin connector....no vacuum...the valve is pretty much a closed piece not meant to take a part so I don't know if theres much to check.I read in a couple of spots that a code that shows up might be the result of another issue and have nothing to do with the part it is referring to....makes it more complicated....on the Ignition Control Module I did some reading and most seem to think they work or they don't and when they are an issue hard starting is an issue...some talked about rough idle, misfire and hesitation(thats what I have)......I guess they don't make that part anymore so I am getting a used one....at this point it's probably ok to try that....reevaluate after that....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Latest Update 7/10....drove around the last couple of weeks....nothing much has changed....still pulsates and idles irratically...exhaust smells....today I put in my new used ICM....started it up and it still didn't sound right....all along the raw pintle number has been at 110 with the old EGR valve and after I installed the new ERG valve the number has been goiing up...this morning iit was at 122.....so I took off the new ERG valve and reinstalled the old ERG valve....before I installed I cleaned it up with some sandpaper and brake fluid....the spring seems fine....I reinstalled .......started it up and it ran for 10 minutes while I talked to my neighbor.....I then ran the codes and checked the raw pintle number it was 39.....I don't get it , but if it stays there I am a happy person....idled fine....any thoughts on all of this?...I changed the plugs, idle control motor, ICM, ERG valve in and out.....I'll drive it around and see how it goes....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had all of the same problems you are having with my 93. Did all of the same part replacements, to no avail. It was the wiring harness to the injectors. You can take your hand and manipulate the harness while the car is running and it will stumble and miss. the wiring is inside the intake and subject to heat, gas and oil so the insulation fails and it intermittently will short and cause your problems. It will short and cause the injectors to shut off or other problems, very frustrating. You have to insulate the conductors at the plug where the wiring is exposed. I have done this on 3 of my 93 Allantes. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks Mike....when you say insulate the conductors at the plug, do you mean where the harness plugs into the injector?.....maybe you can explain that part alittle more like exactly what you did and with what materials.........I have not had the intake cover off of this allante....thanks...That wiring harness......I would guess somewhere goes under the intake cover?...can you tell me where to find that so I can check that out.....I will look on sunday but maybe confirmation from you would help on location of that harness...thanks again for your help....craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
At the main plug, where it plugs into the wiring harness of the car, not at the injector. You remove the original black electrical tape and separate the wires.You will see the degradation of the insulation and some of the shorting. Good black electrical tape on each degraded wire will solve the problem.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts