Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ELR
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a stop light on electric with a range left of 20 plus miles. The signal changed step on the gas and nothing. Car behind me started hooking, instinct panic, I turned on the flasher pushed the power button to turn everything off, then pushed it again and everything was fine, except maybe my underwear LOL. Has not happened again. I had put a new 12V battery in a few months ago. Also did not notice anything unusual on the gauges. My main thought was to get out of there , not the best area to get stuck in.

·
Registered
2016 ELR (silver), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2005 CTS-V (red)
436 Posts
Thanks for sharing that turning it off and restarting it got you going again. How bizarre…I hadn't heard of a Volt or ELR ever doing something like that. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

I know you probably didn't pay attention in the heat of the moment, but could you have been partway between neutral and drive and it popped into neutral? (Obviously, you wouldn't hear the engine rev like you would in an ICE vehicle.) I wonder, too, if it could have had anything to do with the sensor in your electronic throttle pedal. I would think that would have turned on a warning light, though, and that you would have noticed other problems.

Hopefully it never happens again, but please post again if it does—or you realize what caused it to happen in the first place.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the theory from reciprocity that somehow it got popped into neutral. I went for a ride and put it in neutral at a stop sign by putting into neutral I got the identical response that I had before. So I am going to assume that is what happened. Don't know how but I think somehow it happened.
Thanks

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,573 Posts
After all the hesitation issues you reported last month, do you really think/hope this is a one-time glitch, or could the symptoms be getting worse?

With an electronically-controlled transmission, they don't "pop" into neutral, unless the shift lever is physically moved or a software glitch forces the system to respond accordingly. Performing a power-on reset like you did gives credence to a software problem, but given that the car has had other work performed on it recently would make me highly suspicious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts