Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 ETC - problems shifting out of Park sometimes - sometimes really, really bad! Checked it out and the solenoid seemed to be the problem. I didn't want to spend the time and money to replace the solenoid - I just disconnected it and problems solved.

To do it (on a '97 ETC) - easiest access if you can move the shifter to the Neutral or lower area, but possible in Park:

1. Remove the retaining clip on the front/ashtray side of the shift knob and pull up and remove the shift knob.

2. Gently pry and pull up the shifter bezel - the entire panel underneath the shifter - on my car it's wood. Disconnect the plugs from the bottom side of shifter bezel - there were three on my car - 2 were for the heated seats.

3. Look down below, in the front part of the shifter cavity - you will see a solenoid with the piston facing the back of the car - remove the plug from the solenoid.

4. Abracadbra - no more problems shifting out of Park. The shifter is still locked when in Park - this just means you don't have to step on the brake to shift from Park, which is just fine with me

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
That's how mine is because I never hooked it up when I did the conversion and installed the DTS console. I keep thinking about doing it, but then I think, why?

·
Registered
1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how mine is because I never hooked it up when I did the conversion and installed the DTS console. I keep thinking about doing it, but then I think, why?
Maybe a good thing if you are in the habit of leaving the car running in Park, with children in the car - otherwise, no good reason I can think of. I mean, it's just common sense and we all learned to do it when we learned to drive - step on the brake before shifting from park, right?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Yup, that has become second nature. No "children" to worry about here. Mine are grown.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Tateos, I had the same problem with my ETC. Fortunately spraying "electronic parts cleaner" at the solenoid area, fixed it. Apparently some of our cars have had people spill drinks in the area, contaminating it.

Ranger, with yours, it's like mine. Just match the wires from the little box onto the harness, and voila.. you hear a click when the solenoid activates as you apply the brake. Just like the traction control button. I wired it to the harness and voila.. works too.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Yeah, if I get ambitious one of these day, but like Tateos said, it's really not necessary.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Yeah, if I get ambitious one of these day, but like Tateos said, it's really not necessary.

I know what you mean. But the Traction Control button wasn't necessary either (I've never had to use it), and we had the urge to rewire all that to get the little backlight and to be able to push it and see the Traction Ready message.

Took me a good 4 minutes, using wire taps.

The only thing I haven't been able to do, is to get a reverse lockout signal to tap into (apparently it's a DTS only circuit, but someone really sharp into electronics like N*Caddy would be able to figure that out). This would prevent the shifter from going into reverse while the car is in motion above 5 mph.

Tateos' ETC does not have that feature because I believe one must push the button on that shifter in order to get it to move into reverse.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
I think possibly he may have to rig the orange "manual shift release" in the open position. My shift interlock solenoid went out recently.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Hmm, good reason not to hook it up I guess (I haven't gotten around to it yet :rolleyes:). Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
2007 EXT 2wd; 2000 Deville; 2007 Dodge charger rt
83 Posts
Ok i didn't find the solenoid or piston, I may be blind, can someone please describe better? I used some electric parts cleaner on the area because everything looked real sticky like a old coke spill, seems to have loosened it up but I would like to just do the method that Ranger and Tateos have.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Mine is a DTS floor console installed in a DHS. I never hooked it up. Follow the orange lever on the right side. I think it will lead you to it. It's kind of hidden as I recall.

·
Registered
2007 EXT 2wd; 2000 Deville; 2007 Dodge charger rt
83 Posts
Thanks Ranger found it removed the wire, ps, for other dummies like me that may read this an try it, I would call the wire a cable

1 - 20 of 22 Posts