Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate these things. "Shiny" covers that cover the lug nuts. I have some that are stuck and where the socket would normally fit, they are pretty much rounded and not budging. Anyone have any tricks to get them off?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Instead of lug wrench, try a 19mm socket for rounded lug nuts. Or maybe it is 17 or 18. Anyway, one of those will work. Too early in day to think straight. Need coffee.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lug nuts are fine, its the lug nut covers that are the issue. They should have never put these things on here knowing they are cheap metal and will rust.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
I've never heard of the covers getting stuck, weird. If you can get some vice grips in there, they should do the trick. Or get some penetrating oil and see if that will loosen them up a bit. also give them a hard tap with a hammer a coupe times, it should loosen up some of the rust thats holding it there. Or if all else fails, get a chisel and a hammer and just crack it in the middle, and it will fall off.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vice grips didnt work.

I punched a hole in the center, and they are fairly fragile so I had to take a flat head and just keep peeling them back until I could get a socket on the lug. PITA, and I have 3 more stuck ones.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Once you get them off, I would replace them with 1-piece lug nuts. I've never had a problem with mine, so I never did investigate other options. But the little lug nut covers have gotten faded over time, and new ones would look much better. Hmm...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the car from Chicago so I imagine those winters didnt help the fact.

I had some extra lugs and I used those. I just put 20" TIS wheels on so they are covered by the center caps.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
rofl
they cost me about 2 bucks a piece at my dealer....
Bummer.
I lost one after a tire rotation so went back to the dealer.
The parts guy pulled up the part and said it was only 18 cents.
They just gave it to me for nothin seein as it was there when I took the car in.

·
Registered
'00 STS
25 Posts
when i changed the wheels on my '00 sts we had to completely remove them with a small chisle. They were really stuck. I guess the wheels had never been removed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts