Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is the first time in 7 years that I have needed your help again. I cannot drive my 94 STS because it seems to be stuck in limp home mode. I can't drive it as normal. What happened is that it developed an intermittent limp home mode when the connection on the coolant temperature sensor deteriorated started falling off. I changed the coolant temperature sensor with a new one; I tested the wires for the required 5volts and for a good ground wire. Everything tested good. The engine went right back into fulltime limp home mode with all the OBD warnings of "stop engine", "engine overheated" etc. I changed the sensor 2 more times with new ones and got the same results of a limp home mode.

How can I clear this code from the computer? Is there something else that I need to do get the northstar to run normal?

Thanks in advance for advice.
Earl

Re: Limp yo-self home, N*!

I have a 94 northstar that is stuck in limp home mode after changing the coolant temperature sensor 3 times. I've tested the leads for the 5 volts needed and also have a ground wire that is grounded. I get intermittant temp readings so the sensor is working but the computer doesn't recognize things are OK. The OBD just keeps flashing all the warnings of an "overheated engine". How do I get out of limp home mode so I can drive the sts again? Can you help?

Thanks
Earl

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Re: Limp home mode stuck

Make sure the wiring is not shorted to ground or reversed polarity. Use AC Delco ECT sensors.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts

The code should clear itself after 3 ignition cycles without the fault being detected. Otherwise you can clear it manually via the DIC. See the DTC Sticky for instructions.

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts

haycoach, Your identical threads from new model "STS" have been moved and merged here in Seville. Your identical thread in Engines, Northstar has been deleted.

The new model Sigma body rear wheel drive "STS" is an acronym only and is a very, very different car from our FWD
S
eville Touring Sedan.

Please see your PM Inbox.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The black ground wire is shorted to ground so I'm stuck with a wiring problem. There is very little access in back of the engine for tracing the harness or seeing what could damage the wiring. Can I lower the engine cradle to see what is going on up in there? Or, can I run new wires to the ECU? This is so frustrating. I have no way to trace what is going on without seeing for visual inspection. Or, can I unplug and remove the piece of the offending harness? Are there connectors? I can't see them. If I could get the harness out that would be better for inspection because I cannot get down or up inside there. Any more advice would be really good right now. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts