Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I finally found a home for my Caddy questions. I have an '87 FW Brougham that my grandma bought new, gave to my dad and now I have. 88k miles in pretty decent shape.

Same story though - very underpowered. I took it in to have it tuned up as I couldn't get the distributor to turn. The timing is retarded around 20 degrees (really bad driving). Well, come to find out that both parts of the electric choke are bad too, but that is another story. Anyway, the shop couldn't get the distributor to turn either. They suggested getting a slide hammer for distributors, remove the hood and keep working the hammer to get it loose or out. Its been soaking in massive amounts of wd40 for a week now. And I still can't get it to budge.

Anyone heard of this problem before? What is the GM number for the distributor so I can cross it over with other vehicles and find it in a salvage yard or something. I believe it is aluminum. Any other good tricks to get this thing loosened up? I am sure it will break if I end up pounding it out.

thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
I had the same problem with my olds 350. I wound up twisting it lose but it was a royal pain in the but!!! Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know it's hard to get to but have you tried a small crow bar between the distributor lip and the intake? It is just the o-ring has glued itself to the shaft bore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shop claimed to have used one. He said that "because of the bad angle of the hood, the distributor being in the back and in the block, my $50 tool snapped..." Sounded a little fishy to me. Aren't these tools made to do this 'leveraged' work?

He said that I should try the claw foot with the hood off.

Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts