Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Officially, no. I mean "officially" because the EPA ratings are the same for both vehicles. I'm not sure how they came up with that, though, because there has GOT to be some measurable differences in the mileage for the two vehicles...from the final drive alone. In my SLS, I can drive 80 and still be right around 2000 rpm. An STS would be turning closer to 2500 rpm at that speed -- and using more fuel for sure.

So I think realistically, you should see slightly better mileage with an SLS. I get close to 30 mpg on the highway in the summertime. About 20 around town.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
20MPG!! Your car has more horsepower, and weighs the same as my Q, and I get 11mpg! Thats not fair. I have a feeling something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Well Wes....Like we all tried to tell you, GET A CADILLAC!!! LOL! LOL! I'll go ahead and add this to your brain fart count!

·
Registered
Seville STS
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, my '99 Seville SLS gets around 20-21 mpg in town and 28 - 30 on the highway as well. But 11 mpg!!! Dude your Q is getting the same gas mileage as a Ford Excursion.... Geez Get a Caddy Dude

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
now wait a sec...I thought greater hp meant less rpm at the same speeds. but as jason pointed out, his SLS at 80mph runs at 2k rpm while an STS would be at 2,500. Is this b/c of the gears ratios?

I know my Eldorado at 70mph runs about 2200-2300 rpm

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Chuck, it is because of the gear ratios.

I will be taking my car to the dealer sometime, because I have to get a seatbelt (back seat fortunately) fixed. Im sure it needs some new o2 sensors, and maybe a good cleaning. I NEED A CADILLAC!

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Chuck C said:
now wait a sec...I thought greater hp meant less rpm at the same speeds. but as jason pointed out, his SLS at 80mph runs at 2k rpm while an STS would be at 2,500. Is this b/c of the gears ratios?

I know my Eldorado at 70mph runs about 2200-2300 rpm
Yes Chuck, it's because of the gear ratios. At 70 mph, I'm only turning about 1800-1900 rpm. So your engine is spinning 21% faster than mine is, and undoubtedly using more fuel than mine is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts