Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I was on the highway with my wife. Then a 95 Mark VIII pulls up to me, and stays with me for a few seconds. With this sort of gesture, I usually think that implements that he wants to race me, and he did. So I gun it. He has it at first, but then at about 90, I take him easily. Then, later, he tries to come up with me again. I gun i again and had him the whole way. I was pretty happy with this kill but i still want more out of my engine:(

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Mark VIII's are not what the owners think they are! I haven't seen one yet that can give a Cadillac a run for it's money!

·
Registered
586 Posts
STS has 300 HP and 295 ft lbs.

Mark VIII LSC has 295 HP and 285 ft lbs
Mark VIII base has 275 HP and 265 ft lbs.

not to mention the STS is geared better (3.71:1, i think)
Mark VIII base is 3.08:1
LSC is 3.27:1

thats why you won.... oh yeah... Mark VIII tips the scales around 4200 lbs... its a fat woman

·
Registered
46 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
thats why you won.... oh yeah... Mark VIII tips the scales around 4200 lbs... its a fat woman
sorry to split hairs here, but a 98 Mark VIII LSC is rated at 3765 lbs and 290 hp and 290 ft lbs, and they're not really that slow. Although, a friend has a Mark VII with a 5.0 HO and some serious mods that has some significant power and is really quick.

Kurt

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
87CoupeDeVille said:
sorry to split hairs here, but a 98 Mark VIII LSC is rated at 3765 lbs and 290 hp and 290 ft lbs, and they're not really that slow. Although, a friend has a Mark VII with a 5.0 HO and some serious mods that has some significant power and is really quick.

Kurt
That's probably true! I have a 4.9 that gives stock Northstars a hard run for their money and haven't found a MKVIII yet that can beat it! The thing is a MKVIII is a 32 valve that's supposed to be a direct competitor to the Cadillac Northstar stock for stock. It doesn't even come reasonably close! Thats sad,'cause they put it in what many consider to be the best looking car Ford ever even thought of building!

·
Registered
586 Posts
kcnewell said:
That's probably true! I have a 4.9 that gives stock Northstars a hard run for their money and haven't found a MKVIII yet that can beat it! The thing is a MKVIII is a 32 valve that's supposed to be a direct competitor to the Cadillac Northstar stock for stock. It doesn't even come reasonably close! Thats sad,'cause they put it in what many consider to be the best looking car Ford ever even thought of building!
well if ford geared it better it would have been better competition.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
True! But they didn't, Did they?

·
Registered
586 Posts
no... but you can easily fix that with $190 for FRPP 3.73 gears.

oh yeah. Lincoln Motor Sports (LMS) took a 95 Mark VIII LSC and made it a low 13 second car for only $2500... 1800 of which was the beef up the suspension so it didnt twist... so that car has ALOT of potential. There was a write up about in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords about 2 or 3 years ago. Next time im home in CT im gunna look for that issue.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
I know the one!!!! The article is called King Mark the VIII.
That is a sweet Mark isn't.The bad thing about the MarkVIII is that they are slower than the Nortstar Caddy bone stock. The good thing is since its the same engine as in the Cobra there are loads more parts to make it faster than there is for the Northstar.

·
Registered
586 Posts
northstar = almost zero aftermarket

DOHC 4.6L = holy huge aftermarket Batman!

thats why i almost bought a Mark VIII when i was looking for a car. Besides, I love the MN12 Chasis.

But the Caddy was in MUCH better condition.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Northstar= No aftermarket needed!

Anything Ford builds= Aftermarket REQUIRED!

You can have that junk!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
more for me :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lincoln Motor Sports (LMS) took a 95 Mark VIII LSC and made it a low 13 second car for only $2500... 1800 of which was the beef up the suspension so it didnt twist... so that car has ALOT of potentia

That sounds fishy to me, they took a car at best a mid to high 15 sec car, and with only 700$, they get it into the low 13's???!

:confused:

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
That sounds fishy to me, they took a car at best a mid to high 15 sec car, and with only 700$, they get it into the low 13's???!
Sounds reasonable if the only things wrong with the car are gearing and breathing... and from what I've read those are serious bottlenecks on the Mark VIII (and the new Mercury).

.Jinx

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I Agree! Two seconds is HUGE!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
This car also had the tranny reworked. This is the Cobra motor so just making it perform like a Cobra is a good deal. But I learned yrs ago not to believe everything a magazine writes. God if that was true then Consumer Report predicted the end of the American cars yrs ago

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Well, numbers are numbers though. If they say 13 seconds, then they have to have tested it somewhere and got that much. I doubt they're straight-up lying. Rear gearing has a huge affect on acceleration. It's a really basic mod that will REALLY pay off big in acceleration. It'll also sometimes make YOU pay (through mileage or other losses), but as far as straight-line performance goes, more torque multiplication is almost always a good thing.

I'd say a good 1 second of improvement isn't unreasonable with better gears and a better intake and exhaust. If they got that done for $700-$1000, that's great. Put another $1500 in to traction and maybe sticky tires and you've got a real machine there with a good 1.5-2 second improvement. We took the long way around with a '92 Stang we had. We put about $3000's worth of engine parts into it, and also put in a 3.23 gearset (vs. stock 2.73). MAN would that thing fly. We never tested it at the track, though. :( Stock, it was about 14.5 according to the rags. I bet it was an easy low 13 second car after that. We didn't do anything to the tires, and we'd get LOTS of slip at launch (on the street). Slicks would have really made that thing a monster. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hrm...interesting read. All I know is that when it is time for me to buy, I am going to test drive a STS, an ETC, and a MarkVIII. Whichever is the most comfy/best value will have me. I love them all. All can be modded to go faster, but I want my ride to be comfy first and foremost. Those Mark VIII's are DAMN sexy.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts