Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute from Windsor, On. Canada to Detroit 5 days a week. I generally do most of my racing/challenging on the Canadian side because the cops never seem to be on the road (they're probably busy helping people instead of writing tickets - but that's another discussion). I have a 96 STS with exhaust upgrades and a K&N (+-320hp I figure). I pull onto the freeway and I notice this silver beemer making tracks in the fast lane. He looks like a player, so I start closing in on him :coolgleam . I thought it was just a 540 until I got close enough to see the "M" cladding. OK, now I'm behind him and he's behind a tractor trailer. He swerves into the right lane to try to get around the truck, but that lane is also blocked a few cars up ahead by another smaller truck. By this time, I had a good idea he knew I wanted to test his skill (the way he swerved into the right lane said it all). My lane starts to move ahead of his and ultimately the truck ahead of me changes lanes. I don't just want to leave this guy behind, so I pull in front of the truck. Ok, so we're both in the right lane separated by two trucks and a car. I check my side view and see him swerve to the left lane and start to punch it past the trucks. I think he's just gonna roll right past me (I planned on chasing him down :sneaky: ), but he pulls up next to me, slows to match my speed (+-70mph), downshifts and immediately starts to pull on me :eek: . I put the pedal to the floor and followed him to about 110, but the faster I got, the more car lengths he put on me. He nearly effortlessly walked away from me. I'm a good sport, so I gave him a friendly wave when he exited off the freeway, but that's the first time I ever felt decidedly whooped in my STS. It didn't feel as bad when I found out the newer M5's have just under 400hp stock, but dammit WE NEED SUPERCHARGERS!!! :xevileye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Those M5's are hard to beat, no shame there... I watch them consistantly kick the pants off of new corvettes all the time... Less the Zo6.... You should see the 370HP euro version of the 91 (older) M5... Those are faster than the new ones as they are so light.


beemer2k said:
I commute from Windsor, On. Canada to Detroit 5 days a week. I generally do most of my racing/challenging on the Canadian side because the cops never seem to be on the road (they're probably busy helping people instead of writing tickets - but that's another discussion). I have a 96 STS with exhaust upgrades and a K&N (+-320hp I figure). I pull onto the freeway and I notice this silver beemer making tracks in the fast lane. He looks like a player, so I start closing in on him :coolgleam . I thought it was just a 540 until I got close enough to see the "M" cladding. OK, now I'm behind him and he's behind a tractor trailer. He swerves into the right lane to try to get around the truck, but that lane is also blocked a few cars up ahead by another smaller truck. By this time, I had a good idea he knew I wanted to test his skill (the way he swerved into the right lane said it all). My lane starts to move ahead of his and ultimately the truck ahead of me changes lanes. I don't just want to leave this guy behind, so I pull in front of the truck. Ok, so we're both in the right lane separated by two trucks and a car. I check my side view and see him swerve to the left lane and start to punch it past the trucks. I think he's just gonna roll right past me (I planned on chasing him down :sneaky: ), but he pulls up next to me, slows to match my speed (+-70mph), downshifts and immediately starts to pull on me :eek: . I put the pedal to the floor and followed him to about 110, but the faster I got, the more car lengths he put on me. He nearly effortlessly walked away from me. I'm a good sport, so I gave him a friendly wave when he exited off the freeway, but that's the first time I ever felt decidedly whooped in my STS. It didn't feel as bad when I found out the newer M5's have just under 400hp stock, but dammit WE NEED SUPERCHARGERS!!! :xevileye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
m5......to much car for me! lol

id "settle" for a 6 speed 540

funny thing is, there rated for less hp than a STS, somthing like 282hp, 300tq, but will walk on a stock STS. high 13's/14.0 flat, or low 14's for the auto.

was it a really new one? if it was the brand new one, not sure what year, 2001 maybe? it would have walked all over you like you're in a caviler. must have been the 1996-2000 style? if been doing a little research on them over the last week, since i beat one (most likely a 96-2000 530/528 auto, it was night so i never saw the badging - from 45-105mph) and there IMO alot nicer than caddies (the 540's).

maybe it was a fake m5, actually a 540 6 speed? those too would constantly pull on a sts, a m5 should be able to pull on you like a ls1 6speed vette would
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BlackoutSpecV said:
My question is did you really think you had a chance? But yeah the M5 is god's gift to the sedan world :worship:
:burn: What can I say. I've beaten the snot out of so many people in my STS, I guess I've gotten a little over confident - but at least you can't say I only hunt the small game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dubya said:
m5......to much car for me! lol

id "settle" for a 6 speed 540

funny thing is, there rated for less hp than a STS, somthing like 282hp, 300tq, but will walk on a stock STS. high 13's/14.0 flat, or low 14's for the auto.

was it a really new one? if it was the brand new one, not sure what year, 2001 maybe? it would have walked all over you like you're in a caviler. must have been the 1996-2000 style? if been doing a little research on them over the last week, since i beat one (most likely a 96-2000 530/528 auto, it was night so i never saw the badging - from 45-105mph) and there IMO alot nicer than caddies (the 540's).

maybe it was a fake m5, actually a 540 6 speed? those too would constantly pull on a sts, a m5 should be able to pull on you like a ls1 6speed vette would
YES, DAMN YOU, YES!!! I did feel like a Cavalier for a few seconds! :crying: But every day I forget a little more :spin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
since mercedes went crazy with power, bmw is doing the same, fords also started. gm is kinda doin it, but not as much as everyone else, we need more than a 4.6 w/vvt, whats that, low 14's??? that competes with the 540, what do they have for the m5? i guess the ctsv, but thats a little smaller, are they making a STSv?

i got whooped real bad by a v8 firebird a while back, but i stomped a 626 tonight. you should have seen him when that thing kicked down, his front end droped then picked up really high, im sure it FELT fast LOL, musta been a stick?? gotta beat up the little guys to make yourself feel better!

you do have the "fastest" year sts, ever run it at a track? probably see about 14.4

we'll have our performance parts, bonneville gxp is getting a northstar, that should help the aftermarket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't had it to the track yet. Maybe when the weather breaks in the spring before it gets too warm. Is the Bonne gonna get a 4.6 or the 4.0 they put in the Riviera?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
the riviera had a 3.8, most were supercharged, some wern't

aurora had the 4.0

the bonneville se, sle will keep the 3.8
bonneville GXP will get the 275hp 4.6 (sls motor) but......with the 3.71 gearing (STS gearing) probably the best combo, i think they ship this year too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Don't Feel Bad The M5 Has 400 Horses However If You Really Didn't Like The Fact He Walked All Over You Salvation Is Coming. Take 1 Cadillac Cts-v Series Add Equal Parts Turbos Or Superchargers Stir And You Have A Tonic No Bmw Can Live With! But Even If Not The V Series Cts Will Be Faster Than A M5 Even Stock. And To Whoever Thinks 540i's Are Faster They Are Only Faster If They Have A Stick In Auto They Are Almost Dead Even Less Hp More Torque
 

·
Registered
1995 FTS
Joined
·
4,577 Posts
GERMEEZY1 said:
Don't Feel Bad The M5 Has 400 Horses However If You Really Didn't Like The Fact He Walked All Over You Salvation Is Coming. Take 1 Cadillac Cts-v Series Add Equal Parts Turbos Or Superchargers
What do you men by add equal parts turbos or s/c's? The M5 is N/A so wtf you talking about? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
The M5 is fast, but the new Mercedes make it look pretty slow now. You get the CL/SL/S 55 AMG, then you have a high 12 car, and 115MPH..... You get the CL/SL/S 600, you get the twin turbo 12 cyl, you have a mid 12 car at 118MPH, and a screemer part the short 1320 ft race. If that aint enough, there will be a CL/SL/S 65 AMG..... This will be 580HP and 700FT LBS. It will run high 11's and hit 200MPH...... This is the car to have if you want a fast sedan..... Aint no Vseries whatever going to keep up with this, and neither does the Viper. Also, they will have a Renntech upgrade for all these cars... The latter is supposed to be over 800HP with just an ECU upgrade.... These guys have killed everyone....
 

·
Registered
None :(
Joined
·
2,703 Posts
You know what i think the problem is with any front wheel drive car? Its the powertrain design.. its soo in-effecient compared to rear wheel drive cars. Yes BMW is planning for a V10 in its (correction!) M6 series. But reguardless, cadillacs decision to make a front wheel drive V8 was terrible! You've probably seen rice rockets that have so much technology into them, that bolster about 300+ hp if your lucky.. but the way it gets transmitted to the ground makes it molasses slow! Having a V8 coupled to a front wheel drive system is even worse, because not only do you have butt loads of power but lots of tourqe makes the tyres do even more work then they already are trying to steer and support the car.

And for Cadillacs sake, the cars just too heavy and elegant to compete with a BMW M5 in the first place! :tongue2: Want to race an M5? Dont do it in a STS or Deville, but a CTS-V... the only car truely made to compete with the German rocket.

Nice try though, sounds like it was a good fight till the M5 beat you in aerodynamics, horsepower, power transmission, weight and top end (lol) bouncer: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Front wheel drive is AWFUL, but it actually does one positive thing for the case here. Being that the STS is 300HP, more of that power actually gets to the ground VS a RWD car. If you compare a 300HP corvette of 1995 and a 300HP STS of 1995 on a dyno, the average STS will be about 15% higher in a case by case deal. For racing, this is good as it actually gives the STS the advantage over the LT1 automatic corvette in many cases, even though the car is 800-900LBS heavier. But on the same note, I would MUCH rather have a RWD STS, but in order to run like it does now, it needs to be about 330HP..... Funny how that is just the magic number the XLR is getting.

As far as the M5, that is a strong motor with a 6 speed, but the car has no weight advantage over the STS, it just has a ton more power. The M5 is a heavy car. BMWs just keep getting bigger. I find it funny that the new "3" series is actually heavier and bulkier than my daily driver BMW... 1986 735.... Cars are getting large again!




JefferyG said:
You know what i think the problem is with any front wheel drive car? Its the powertrain design.. its soo in-effecient compared to rear wheel drive cars. Yes BMW is planning for a V10 in its (correction!) M6 series. But reguardless, cadillacs decision to make a front wheel drive V8 was terrible! You've probably seen rice rockets that have so much technology into them, that bolster about 300+ hp if your lucky.. but the way it gets transmitted to the ground makes it molasses slow! Having a V8 coupled to a front wheel drive system is even worse, because not only do you have butt loads of power but lots of tourqe makes the tyres do even more work then they already are trying to steer and support the car.

And for Cadillacs sake, the cars just too heavy and elegant to compete with a BMW M5 in the first place! :tongue2: Want to race an M5? Dont do it in a STS or Deville, but a CTS-V... the only car truely made to compete with the German rocket.

Nice try though, sounds like it was a good fight till the M5 beat you in aerodynamics, horsepower, power transmission, weight and top end (lol) bouncer: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
a sts gets 15% more power down???......NO. the 4t80e is proven to have about 23-24% drivetrain loss, which is huge even for a fwd transmission. so your saying a corvette's trans has about 38-39% loss???? i don't know anything about corvette transmissions but id guess high teens, no way are they even close to the 30's. the 4t65ehd (L67's transmission) is in the range of 18-20% for comparison, the northstars suck for getting there power to the road. sure they make 300hp, but they only put down 225/230 tops.

only advantage for racing is the engine is on top of the driving wheels, easier to launch on the same tires, but a vette can have some huge meat back there, not so much for a cadillac.

don't mean to be a jerk, but where are you getting this info from? XLR is a low 14 second car too, more power---faster, not needs more power to be equal. maybe the same place that told you a impalla ss has 300hp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Blackout said:
What do you men by add equal parts turbos or s/c's? The M5 is N/A so wtf you talking about? :confused:
I mean if you want a car that will be one of the fastest cars on the planet get a cts-v and start modifying the easiest choice would be turbo's in which case you would be looking at 550-700 hp and at 3800 lbs (less than the current M5) it would not even be close!
 
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Top