Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just notcied this forum, thought i'd list a few races.
96imp SS:
Everybody always told me the LT1 would suck my 4.6 but they were worng, dont know what he had but mine is stock, no exhaust or air filter added. I know he had flows but besides that don't know. I was on my 20s and he was on his stocks and it was no contest. when we finished the short race he was at my rear end. we only went 1 and a half blocks before he hit his brakes and tuned at the end of the block. only reason i know it was a 96 is cuz his liscense plate said something like 96impss.
Lex GS400:
Late night coming back from a club, pulled up to a light next to this gs 400 on 20" limited rims. i know the guy cuz he used to be in love with some girl i was talking to. we were both waiting for the light to change but he tried to start inching and jump the light. before we got through the intersection he was at my trunk and i jumped in front of him. it was over.
86 or 87 Mustang 5.0
My boys car. he had no idea how to drive stick yet and it was stock, it was over before it started, now he has headers and flows so i wouldnt mind doing it again to let him try to prove himself.
Ford Lightning
On another note, got bold with a ford lightning, this time i made myself look dumb, that thing has heat. I thought i could handle it because on the freeway i was jumping all over it whenever i felt like it. it was a friend of mine so we lined up at a stop sign but it got on me from the line. i caught up but that was a block later, i can admit when i lose. wait til i get my corsa exhaust. ;)

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
STS_spinnin said:
96imp SS:
Everybody always told me the LT1 would suck my 4.6 but they were worng, dont know what he had but mine is stock, no exhaust or air filter added. I know he had flows but besides that don't know. I was on my 20s and he was on his stocks and it was no contest. when we finished the short race he was at my rear end. we only went 1 and a half blocks before he hit his brakes and tuned at the end of the block. only reason i know it was a 96 is cuz his liscense plate said something like 96impss.
Lex GS400:
Late night coming back from a club, pulled up to a light next to this gs 400 on 20" limited rims. i know the guy cuz he used to be in love with some girl i was talking to. we were both waiting for the light to change but he tried to start inching and jump the light. before we got through the intersection he was at my trunk and i jumped in front of him. it was over.
86 or 87 Mustang 5.0
My boys car. he had no idea how to drive stick yet and it was stock, it was over before it started, now he has headers and flows so i wouldnt mind doing it again to let him try to prove himself.
Ford Lightning
On another note, got bold with a ford lightning, this time i made myself look dumb, that thing has heat. I thought i could handle it because on the freeway i was jumping all over it whenever i felt like it. it was a friend of mine so we lined up at a stop sign but it got on me from the line. i caught up but that was a block later, i can admit when i lose. wait til i get my corsa exhaust. ;)
good stuff...post a pic of your spinners.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A Northstar STS, Concourse or ETC will kill a Stock and even lightly Impala every time...

STS_spinnin said:
96imp SS:
Lex GS400:
86 or 87 Mustang 5.0
Ford Lightning

·
Registered
27 Posts
Katshot said:
:histeric: Ya think so?. Just don't bring one around my area without a "bottle" if you intend to race.
bottles are for babbies... NOS is so cheap, its a desperate way to try to take a second off of your 1/4.... all ur gonna do is burn out your engine and really fast..

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
Not if you rebuild the motor correctly you won't
I agree with you on that one. If you put nos in a motor that is not set up for it you will destroy it. But race motors that can handle the power will have no problem.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
I've had quite a few friends with their Civic's or whatnot throwing in a 100 shot or more of nitrous into their cars but not rebuilding the motors and I try to tell them its not going to work but they say "The stock motor can handle up to 300+ hp!!!" :rolleyes: rrrrrrrrrright........well sure enough after a use of it or two time to need a new motor!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Nitrous and other "power-adders" like forced induction systems increase stress on the entire drivetrain. Many cars can handle increased stress on SOME of their drivetrain components without too much problem. Unfortunately, ALL these "power-adders" are variable in nature. This means that they can either add a little power and therefore only add a little stress to the drivetrain, or they can add a lot of power and therefore add a lot of stress. A 50hp shot of nitrous while adding a decent amount of power would PROBABLY not cause much harm, however a 150hp shot PROBABLY would. Any increased stress WILL shorten the service life of the engine and drivetrain. How much stress will cause a relatively quick total failure? Get out your crystal ball and take a guess. ;)

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Captain obvious says: The amount of N20 an engine can handle is proportional to its displacement; a Cad500 will handle a 150 shot better than a 2L 4 banger. Always keep this in mind when you're arguing your opinion about nitrous..

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
I dunno who you were referring too but there are quite a few 4 bangers that could handle a 100 shot of nitrous no problem. A perfect example is the SR20DE from Nissan. It is found in Infiniti G20's, Sentra SE-R's *the old one's*, and a few others. But test's have showed that the stock engine with stock internal's CAN support up to 400 hp before the engine starts to fail. But once you start pushing the hp numbers any farther past 400 hp then it starts to fail a little bit faster. So its quote the awesome engine. But its deserving its much needed and deserving retirement now. So there's one 2.0 I4 that can handle a 100 shot no problem

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
davesdeville said:
Captain obvious says: The amount of N20 an engine can handle is proportional to its displacement; a Cad500 will handle a 150 shot better than a 2L 4 banger. Always keep this in mind when you're arguing your opinion about nitrous..
Captain obvious needs a reality check!
The displacement of an engine has very little to do with how well it will handle increased stress. Every engine is different. And remember that I mentioned the word "drivetrain". That is more than just the engine Dave.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Really now. So you're saying that as a generalization, a small 4 banger will handle a bigger percentage increase in power from nitrous than a larger V8? Yeah that's probably true. But overall the bigger engine can be able to take less stress, because the stress is essentially spread out more.

And Kevin, you don't even need capitain obvious to say that the engine's not the only part of the drivetrain that can fail, it's even too obvious for the captain to point out.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Put a 100 shot in a Northstar engine and put a 100 shot in a older SE-R and see which engine lasts longer. Hell a few of the guys on our Spec V forum have older SE-R's with over 100000 miles on them handling 100 shots on their stock engines.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
davesdeville said:
Really now. So you're saying that as a generalization, a small 4 banger will handle a bigger percentage increase in power from nitrous than a larger V8?
Where did I say anything like that? Did you even read my post? YOU'RE the one relating an engine's size to it's ability to "handle" nitrous (I called it increased stress). I said the size of the engine means very little when determining it's ability to handle increased stress. The overall design and assembly are a MUCH more important factor to consider.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
Not if you rebuild the motor correctly you won't
what is the point of rebuilding the engine? the amount of money you put into a rebuilt engine and a NOS system you might as well get something that works all the time, something like a supercharger or a turbo kit... those things are better investments then NOS... true that they can burn out an engine quicker then intended, but not like NOS...you can get a lot more out of 'moving parts' for the price that you pay

·
Registered
520 Posts
Katshot said:
Where did I say anything like that? Did you even read my post? YOU'RE the one relating an engine's size to it's ability to "handle" nitrous (I called it increased stress). I said the size of the engine means very little when determining it's ability to handle increased stress. The overall design and assembly are a MUCH more important factor to consider.
Ok first, I don't race. Don't want to anymore. And I've never even looked at a Northstar. But Mr Donovan look at my example and tell me if it's valid. Stock N*, install thicker walled cyl. sleeves, smaller forged pistons to match, forged rods and top quality bearings. Now add nitrous just with those mods. The displacement is now less, but it's more able to handle the stress. Right ?
So displacement has nothing to do with the ability to handle the nitrous. I think that's your point, with my admittedly ignorant example.
Bob

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
kgjg8588 said:
what is the point of rebuilding the engine? the amount of money you put into a rebuilt engine and a NOS system you might as well get something that works all the time, something like a supercharger or a turbo kit... those things are better investments then NOS... true that they can burn out an engine quicker then intended, but not like NOS...you can get a lot more out of 'moving parts' for the price that you pay
:histeric: When you have big power adder's such as turbo's, superchargers, or nitrous you need to rebuild the engine with stronger parts so that it can handle the added stress and whatnot to the engine. But go ahead and hook up a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous to your STS and see how long it lasts! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
:histeric: When you have big power adder's such as turbo's, superchargers, or nitrous you need to rebuild the engine with stronger parts so that it can handle the added stress and whatnot to the engine. But go ahead and hook up a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous to your STS and see how long it lasts! :thumbsup:
But go ahead and hook up a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous to your STS and see how long it lasts!
I say go for it then when your engine gets f'ed don't go crying b/c of stupidity. I know plenty of people who run WAY too much power with out compensating for it and ruin there cars and there goes all of there money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts