Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoWeek put the STS-V on this week's cover, with a rave review that concludes, "...we think the STS-V is one awesome Cadillac, possibly the best car the division has produced."

Now if I just had $77K lying around in the sofa cushions.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Good, maybe some of the anti-car rag pundits will back off a little bit now.

Also, if anyone has read the article, it seems to clearly define the car not so much as competition for the M5, but rather a refined urban Corvette for the family, with all of the technology luxury car buyers are looking for.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
I like what I see.

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
“The STS-V casts a performance shadow over the entire Cadillac line, and gets rid of the perception that Cadillacs are big cars for old men. Changing that perception is No. 1 on our list.
Thank you God!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
Good, maybe some of the anti-car rag pundits will back off a little bit now.

Also, if anyone has read the article, it seems to clearly define the car not so much as competition for the M5, but rather a refined urban Corvette for the family, with all of the technology luxury car buyers are looking for.
Do you really consider AutoWeek a real car mag? And what did they test it against?

·
Banned
851 Posts
MCaesar said:
Do you really consider AutoWeek a real car mag? And what did they test it against?
MCeasar, lol.....do you think Motor Trend is?????????
Usually they test the cars up to 100 mph and usually they give no top speed numbers!!!!!
I, for myself trust the most in Road & Track.

Harry

·
Registered
330 Posts
harryctsv said:
MCeasar, lol.....do you think Motor Trend is?????????
Usually they test the cars up to 100 mph and usually they give no top speed numbers!!!!!
I, for myself trust the most in Road & Track.

Harry
So far

Not good reviews
Car & Driver
Automobile
Motor Trend

Good Review
Autoweek

The last one out is Road & Track - which I agree is the best judge of premium GT cars. Car & Driver is second as they are a little more biased to the mid priced cars.

You want to know why I am pissed? I grew up with Cadillac being the STANDARD OF THE WORLD. They lost it along the way. Now they say they are getting back there so they spend all this money and come out with a car that can't match up to the established cars forget about SURPASSING them.

THAT SUCKS

No, don't give me that crap about it being a better value because it offers 80% of the performance for less money. That is a Saturn objective! And MB is selling E55s in the low 80s so it really isn't even a better value.

When are we going to have an American car that we can say is clearly the BEST in its class - period!

·
Banned
851 Posts
MCaesar said:
So far

Not good reviews
Car & Driver
Automobile
Motor Trend

Good Review
Autoweek

The last one out is Road & Track - which I agree is the best judge of premium GT cars. Car & Driver is second as they are a little more biased to the mid priced cars.

You want to know why I am pissed? I grew up with Cadillac being the STANDARD OF THE WORLD. They lost it along the way. Now they say they are getting back there so they spend all this money and come out with a car that can't match up to the established cars forget about SURPASSING them.

THAT SUCKS

No, don't give me that crap about it being a better value because it offers 80% of the performance for less money. That is a Saturn objective! And MB is selling E55s in the low 80s so it really isn't even a better value.

When are we going to have an American car that we can say is clearly the BEST in its class - period!
Hi MCaesar,
You have already one
2006 Covette Z06
this car for that price is unbeatable.

I`ll agree with you in ranking of US auto magazins!!!!!

Harry

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Personally, I think it's a good idea to read ALL the articles you can and consider the points brought up by ALL the people playing with them. Simply adopting the views of a single source is not being very objective IMO. The magazines should be looked at as a "reference" not a "bible".

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
Katshot said:
Personally, I think it's a good idea to read ALL the articles you can and consider the points brought up by ALL the people playing with them. Simply adopting the views of a single source is not being very objective IMO. The magazines should be looked at as a "reference" not a "bible".
:yeah:

I agree, isn't the whole point to read all the articles you can, and form your own opinion. Taking someone's opinion as the truth can often be misleading. All it takes is one criticizing article and all the bashers take that for the undeniable truth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
PS Car & Driver actually does more extensive testing than Road & Track - particularly at high speed. On GT cars they go all the way up 0-150 and they also actually go to top speed. They ran their CTS-V to 162 and their 300C SRT8 to 173
no "est" top speed for them

·
Registered
330 Posts
harryctsv said:
Hi MCaesar,
You have already one
2006 Covette Z06
this car for that price is unbeatable.

I`ll agree with you in ranking of US auto magazins!!!!!

Harry
That is true.

The Z06 smokes the Viper for $20 grand less and keeps up with the Ford GT that is $100,000 more! It will run with the Ferrari F430 and the Lambo.

The CTS-V is another one as long as they can fix the rear end problems.

The GTO is an excellent performance value. They just need to restyle it.

But the decision to go with FWD for their mainstream cars is a huge istake.

·
Registered
330 Posts
slk230mb said:
:yeah:

I agree, isn't the whole point to read all the articles you can, and form your own opinion. Taking someone's opinion as the truth can often be misleading. All it takes is one criticizing article and all the bashers take that for the undeniable truth.
Obviously your own needs and driving experience are most important. But when all the articles but one are not good doesn't that tell you something?

We will see what Road & Track says.

·
Banned
851 Posts
MCaesar said:
That is true.

The Z06 smokes the Viper for $20 grand less and keeps up with the Ford GT that is $100,000 more! It will run with the Ferrari F430 and the Lambo.

The CTS-V is another one as long as they can fix the rear end problems.

The GTO is an excellent performance value. They just need to restyle it.

MCeasar, you talking about the wheel-hop on the CTS V but as you might know I´m a german and drove most of all fast cars over here, do you know that any Porsche have the wheel-hop. Interresting no one talks about this!!!
The same with the 2000 M5, depends on road surface but there is wheel-hop too, I can go on and on with this!!!!
The GTO is a very good car but looks too much like a Sunfire or Cavalier, you are right!
Did you went on Cadillacfaq.com and watched some Videos of hard launching CTS V´s? Check it out!!!!:)

Harry

·
Registered
330 Posts
harryctsv said:
MCeasar, you talking about the wheel-hop on the CTS V but as you might know I´m a german and drove most of all fast cars over here, do you know that any Porsche have the wheel-hop. Interresting no one talks about this!!!
The same with the 2000 M5, depends on road surface but there is wheel-hop too, I can go on and on with this!!!!
The GTO is a very good car but looks too much like a Sunfire or Cavalier, you are right!
Did you went on Cadillacfaq.com and watched some Videos of hard launching CTS V´s? Check it out!!!!:)

Harry
That is true. 911s have always had bad wheel hop. Good point.

Here is forum review:

BadCad said:
Drove the STS-V this weekend at the Cadillac Drive Summit. Aesthetically, very nice front end with the front grill flowing very nicely into that scooped hood. Rear end kinda ugly with that spoiler sticking up looking like an upturned shovel. Drive-wise - lots of power on tap and very smooth power band. Steering/handling was a big disappointment though - no road feel like the V; no taut feedback through the steering wheel and suspension seemed soft. (And I miss the shifts and watching the tach.) Turning effort was light with no feedback. Feels like a big sedan with lots of power but no road feel. I think I'll stick with my old '04 V and all its shortcomings. Don't need a refined V that has no temperamental, bad boy manners. :stirpot:

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
harryctsv said:

Harry
The issue is not with the wheel hop itself, although it isn't pleasant. The real issue is what wheel hop does to rear end longevity. I'm on my 4th rear differential and I firmly believe that wheel hop has shortened the lifespan of my diff's.

As for the STS-V. The sales will be the ultimate test. I smell huge overstocks and big discounts in their future. Who buys an uber-sedan that can't keep up. I've got to meet these people. As previously stated given the choice of a $75,000 sports sedan that's almost as fast and one that is the fastest for $5K more? Well that's just too easy.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
MCaesar said:
No, FWD for mainstream cars isn't a bad idea. FWD is fine for daily drivers. If the STS-V was FWD you'd have a point.

CVP33 said:
As for the STS-V. The sales will be the ultimate test. I smell huge overstocks and big discounts in their future.
Huge overstocks on a car that will only number 2000 to begin with? We'll see.

·
Registered
330 Posts
davesdeville said:
No, FWD for mainstream cars isn't a bad idea. FWD is fine for daily drivers. If the STS-V was FWD you'd have a point.

Huge overstocks on a car that will only number 2000 to begin with? We'll see.
No FWD for mid sized/large cars is a big mistake. Do you see anyone lining up to buy the Bonneville or Lucerne? Nope.

Why is the Impala SS dogmeat compared to the Charger? Because it is FWD!

FWD is fine for economy cars and small cars. No one but a 65 year old DeVille buyer wants FWD on a decent car.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts