Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hope you guys enjoyed it. I wish i could have seen it in real life. I'm sure everyone around there is giving caddy more repect after that run.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
87CoupeDeVille said:
I'm sure it was on a closed street with professional drivers.
As are ALL of my races! LOL!!:banghead:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
More respect after beating a Prowler? Why? Those things are slugs! They only have a 3.5 V6 in them. The same engine I had in my 300M and it was DEFINATELY no race car.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
The Prowler is a much different vehicle than a 300M. It's like comparing a Lumina and a B-body Impala. The later Prowlers received the 250-hp 3.5L V6 and can do sub-6 second 0-60 runs. It's clear by the video that off the line, the Prowler has the Cadillac beat. But once that V6 stars to lose breath above 80 mph or so (or however fast they were going), the hard-charging Northstar will catch up to it.

I enjoyed the video, but do believe they should have taken that stuff to the track. I do short bursts all the time. Any race in a Cadillac is short...hit the gas and you're at the speed limit like RIGHT NOW! :D I think playing around is okay, but serious drag racing like those guys were doing (hitting speeds of 80 or 100+ is just senseless and irresponsible.

I can't wait to hit Bristol this spring with Allante North*!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Actually, I hadn't watched the video until just now (since the cable guy just left after hooking up my cable-modem), but in the video, the STS gets spanked. Why would anyone think that this speaks well of Cadillac?
It's obviously a short race (probably about an 1/8 mile max) and the Prowler easily beat the STS. In the 1/4 it might be a little different but the ET's I've seen suggest that it would be VERY CLOSE.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Katshot said:
Actually, I hadn't watched the video until just now (since the cable guy just left after hooking up my cable-modem), but in the video, the STS gets spanked. Why would anyone think that this speaks well of Cadillac?
It's obviously a short race (probably about an 1/8 mile max) and the Prowler easily beat the STS. In the 1/4 it might be a little different but the ET's I've seen suggest that it would be VERY CLOSE.
it was impressive because sts caught up to him towards the end at a very fast rate. This was a given race from a dead stop because prolwer weighs whole lot less than the sts.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Actually, it has very little to do with weight. In a race that short, the R/T is EVERYTHING. Whoever got the wholeshot got the race. And as for the STS catching up quickly, I think that between the angle and the proximity to the finish line. I think you're being real optimistic.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Katshot said:
Actually, it has very little to do with weight. In a race that short, the R/T is EVERYTHING. Whoever got the wholeshot got the race. And as for the STS catching up quickly, I think that between the angle and the proximity to the finish line. I think you're being real optimistic.
according to physics weight does have a huge impact on change of motion

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
Dude! Dude! Dude!... You know better than that! Weight is crucial to the process. It's the main thing that we try to elimenate whenever possible in drag racing and has as much or more to do with it than reaction time or even power. Power to weight ratio is the guiding light in getting the thing moving quickly. That having been said...I agree with you, He was being a little optomistic!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
yeah the law of physics and engines is an exponential one so that if a car is twice as heavy you need 4 times the power. If it is 3 times as heavy 9 times the power.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Guys, again we're seeing everyone trying to apply strict physics to a drag race. Does anyone here ACTUALLY go to the track and pay attention, let alone RACE?
In a race THAT short, the hole-shot is most likely gonna take it. Power to weight ratio means very little in this race. R/T and being able to "hook" is what's crucial in this case.
Hasn't anyone ever seen a car at the track loose the race but post a better E/T? How do you suppose that happens?
This is DRAG racing gentlemen and you can't just "calculate" the outcome. Denying this fact only proves your lack of track experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts