Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the back story is this: I take mine into the dealer to fix an oil leak that has been there since the beginning. My purchasing dealer has never been able to fix it so I carried to another. They reportedly fixed it by replacing the oil pan gasket.

Today, I raised the car to have a look as it had been a couple weeks since the fix. Sure enough the bottom of the engine is now spotless and squeaky clean.

Now the paradox. I look at the oil pan and I notice that there is a 2" hole in the side of the pan. It actually carries all the way through the pan laterally to the other side. My suspision is that this hole is for the driveshaft used on the all wheel drive models and the position of the hole supports that. My question is... if the 4.6L and V6 engines are the only ones that support all wheel drive... and if the 4.4L engine is the only one that has a 9 quart oil pan... then why does my oil pan have this cross tube hole??? :mystery:

Somebody please have a look and verify that yours is the same. I really would hate to learn that they put a wrong oil pan on my car.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
I would look but my car is currently in the body shop. :(

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
I guess you all never had a good look under you car until now...there is only one oil pan for the current N* engine in a STS chassis and it's the one with a hole in it. I guess one part # is cheaper to tool up than two.

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been under there several times but this was the first time I noticed the hole. I am assuming then that the STS-V holds one more (9 vs. 8) quart of oil somewhere else in the system. External oil cooler maybe?

·
Registered
Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS
536 Posts
I have been under there several times but this was the first time I noticed the hole. I am assuming then that the STS-V holds one more (9 vs. 8) quart of oil somewhere else in the system. External oil cooler maybe?
Bill, I'll be coming to Winston Salem to visit my grandma in the hospital sometime this week or next weekend depending on how things go with her. I think you live really close to Forsyth Hospital, so I'd be happy to stop by and let you look at mine to see if it is different. I know that mine is the same as it was from the factory. Just let me know, buddy.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
How much is in our mighty special filter, almost a quart ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts