Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
No surprise here. The CTS-V is a better-performing car for less money. The only thing missing from our V is the rear seat room of the STS. In addition, it apparently wasn't selling well--again, no surprise given the CTS-V's release. Overall, a wise decision on the part of GM.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
The STS-V has been on the chopping block since last year. Not sure why jalopnik is only now reporting it. It's been the belief all along that once the 09 CTS-V hit the streets the other cars in the V series would go bye bye.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
The STS-V has been on the chopping block since last year. Not sure why jalopnik is only now reporting it. It's been the belief all along that once the 09 CTS-V hit the streets the other cars in the V series would go bye bye.
Isn't the STS gone as of 2010? Not just the V.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
533 Posts
Yeah I used to have one.
I agree with you guys, why would you want a slower bigger heavier more expensive car than what we have?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Oh well, may it R.I.P. Not a bad looking car, but I guess as with the XLR, it takes more than good looks to sustain sales. On the bright side, in the Automotive News article reporting the STS-V's demise, a spokesman is quoted as saying "The V series is here to stay" and future V models will be added to the portfolio. :bouncy:

The spokesman also added: "The CTS-V has been off to a very good start and we sold more CTS-V in four months than we sold STS-V's in a whole year."

It'd be great to have an STS/DTS replacement continue the trend...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The article pointed to by the poster indicated that the Pontiac G6 was also going away, while, in fact, the whole Pontiac division is history.

·
Registered
Cts-v (on order) Red, Black interior, 6mt
57 Posts
Yeah, I do. But I was just planning on the regular STS as I want a RWD V8 that isn't as expensive.
To be honest, for the price of a standard STS, i might go the way of bmw or mercedes. I think outside of the CTS (especially the v series) that the german competitors do it very very well.
and dont get me going on bout the jaguar XF.. that car is awesome.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Dream on. I have said it before and I will keep saying it: Sentimentalty, spent development dollars, "it makes no sense," all means nothing if the sales don't justify the cost. The only thing that matters is the bottom line. If a product doesn't add to the bottom line it is gone. Note the elimination of the entire Pontiac division. If the bean counters decide that the CTS-V is not adding to the bottom line, it is gone. It is that simple. I predict that within six months all of the V-cars will be discontinued by GM in its attempt to avoid bankruptcy. Only the Corvette will remain. I own a 2009 CTS-V and I would hate to see it discontinued, but reality must be faced by everyone eventually.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
Sales still rule, and the CTS-V seems to be pretty successful. Most areas have very little inventory, despite minimal discounting and no incentives, and in this economy. One can't say the same for M cars, AMG's, and Audi S cars. The CTS-V has received numerous accolades in the automotive press; it is now routinely included in discussions of luxury super sedans as a legitimate contender, and not just as a bargain, either. That kind of prestige helps legitimize the whole line, and is really helping Cadillac's image with younger buyers. I think the CTS-V will be pretty safe, unless gas hits super high levels, and even then, who knows?

The STS-V never got great press, and has had dismal sales. With the CTS-V generally being regarded as the superior car, not mention substantially cheaper, there is little reason to keep the STS-V in the line. The success of the CTS-V probably sealed the fate of the STS-V. Another question: why keep the STS in any form? It's sales are also dismal, again partly fueled by the CTS's success. I know Cadillac intends to merge the STS and DTS platforms eventually, but the DTS is still selling, so why not save some money and kill the STS, while speeding development of the successor? Or use the money to bring out the coupe?

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Cadillac never gave even good press to any of the V Series of cars. The 04-07 CTS-V got a couple of mentions in commercials, but the STS-V and XLR-V got it once with the original "bullet" commercial back in 05, but that was it. Sales of both of those were never even on par with original expectations of about 2000 produced per year. Production numbers were closer to around 1200-1500 per year, which means very shortly there will have been more 09 CTS-Vs produced that all of STS-Vs left on the roads, and the LC3 engine has seen it's run.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
I see a lot of comments that Cadillac does not promote the V series cars but yet every "car guy" knows what a V is all about. It is very true that they do not run TV commercials on the V series cars but neither do MB or BMW for their high performance cars. The high performance cars are put in the hands of the people that write articles on the cars and speak to enthusiasts. You may see print ads for the V series cars in enthusiast magazines and I would venture to guess that these ads are placed in greater numbers for the V than the M and AMG cars as Caddy has to establish the brand. Why spend dollars to promote cars to people that will never even consider purchase of one? Perception takes a long time to build and it is best built through good product. It will take a long time before you convince the Euro snobs to look at a V but GM is following the proper route. They just need to keep introducing world class product under the V banner.

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
I don't know, I used to frequent many car shows around here and you may be surprised how many "car guys" never knew the V series existed. At best they think everything is a V1.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts