Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember calling them a few months back to see if they had sold many of the kits and what numbers the customers were reporting back. The guy who I was talking to had told me they had sold a few kits but he hasn't received word back on what they were making. He told me about the shop car they did but that was it.

Kinda curious if any of these kit owners have made it over here or "***************". Yeah we all know about mike nice over there, but i am referring to the non-one off kit.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
Oh sweet jesus, this thread is going to trigger MikeNice's search bots that scour the internet for anyone or anything claiming rear mounted turbo and he is going to pop up in here and spam us with a bunch of Jersey speak non-sense.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: Shall we give it 10 posts till he shows up here? All honesty, I have a maggy sitting in a box, just back from magnuson after getting a 90mm conversion done. I'm more worried about belt slip, throwing a belt and bad bearings then I would be about getting something under the car and snagging one of those turbos, oil supply issues or boost control problems.

·
Registered
CTS V
134 Posts
RUN.. Stay away from STS.. We deal with them all the time in our shop.. They were intended for 1 thing.. To help gas trucks tow.. Then people thought it would be a brilliant idea to turn them into a car performance item and change the intended purpose.. They do not work well and they make horrible numbers. Would you guys like me to post a couple vids and dyno charts? I gladly will.. Since STS is in Utah we deal with their cars all the time.. The numbers they put down is pathetic. Even the STS dragster uses front mount turbos.. That must tell you how much faith they have in the rear mounts if they wont even use them.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
dyno poast away.. vids and graphs are always welcome

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Interested

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
RUN.. Stay away from STS.. We deal with them all the time in our shop.. They were intended for 1 thing.. To help gas trucks tow.. Then people thought it would be a brilliant idea to turn them into a car performance item and change the intended purpose.. They do not work well and they make horrible numbers. Would you guys like me to post a couple vids and dyno charts? I gladly will.. Since STS is in Utah we deal with their cars all the time.. The numbers they put down is pathetic. Even the STS dragster uses front mount turbos.. That must tell you how much faith they have in the rear mounts if they wont even use them.
I would be very interested in seeing those numbers. I was under the impression that other than the flaws with oiling that it was a pretty robust system. Well, at least more efficient than a maggie. Lets see what you got, I dont want to be slapping fun parts on my car that dont live up to expectations.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Ditto to Voodoo.... graphs would be fantastic

·
Registered
CTS V
134 Posts
i will have to run by the dyno shop and get a few graphs for you.. Give me a day or so and I will post a couple up. I just need to ask around for the customers names so I know which guys were running STS.. I remember 1 customers name off the top of my head.. I will gladly post up what I Have for you then you can make your own decision.. We have tuned and ran probably 15-20 sts cars on my dyno.. only 1 made respectable power for the costs involved. all of the others were a complete waste.

Nathan

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
Here's the graph from their website. If you have something different it would be nice to see. Did you actually do any V's?
cts-v_dyno.jpg

·
Registered
CTS V
134 Posts
no.. I have not done any V's with a STS.. so I understand I can't prove the results with a V.. but I have done many LT1 and LS1 cars and they are all the same.. I have one on my work computer here..

this is a C5 Corvette STS .. 7 lbs. You can see what I mean about not putting down good numbers. I can make more power than this with just heads and a cam for a lot less money.

and this is him racing me in the caddy after he had it tuned on my dyno.. The tuner is the one recording it. They all wanted to see how " close " the race would be between a twin turbo STS vette and my Maggie LS6 V... They said the vette would win because he was way lighter. I went on the 3rd honk.

This is just one example of many.. For the money you spend you can get much better results with a different system or by going NA. I am not here to bash STS but all I am going to say is there are better options for your money. I see it all the time. For that dyno graph on a V I am really curious if it's a stock motor and what other mods they have. Maybe they have finally figured it out.. But over the past couple years they have not impressed me at all. The lag is horrible in every single one that came on my dyno and every one I seen at the race track. It is a good idea.. but it needs a lot more fine tuning before I would ever consider saying it is worth the money. Unless they finally figured it out.. I have my doubts.. the " STS " dragster that runs 7's is bad ass.. But as I said.. its also front mount twin turbo. Explain that one.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Thanks Dynojetman.... Sorry to hear about your home situation... thanks for the graph.

Time for me to call Hahn back

·
Registered
CTS V
134 Posts
no problem.. I just want to help.. if they finally figured it out it may be worth it..

By the time a STS car hits full boost the race is already over.. lag is the reason STS is not worth pursuing.. What they did on a couple cars is use smaller housings on the turbos to " spool " quicker.. Yes, it works. The response is improved.. but the reality is once they spool they also bottle neck really bad and can't flow any more air with the tiny housings and their HP suffers tremendously. ASK FOR VIDEOS of the V on the dyno.. that will prove if they have fixed the Lag issue or not.

You need to all look at the big picture.. How do you effectively push air from the motor to the rear of the car quickly enough to spool turbos without massive amounts of lag? smaller housings.. yes.. but then you have no top end power once the boost hits. That's the problem and I want to know how they fix it and find a natural balance for spool time and power. You need to all understand.. My caddy is not that fast and it is heavy and you can clearly see how hard I pulled on that STS vette.. That's exactly what my problem is with this system.. If they fix it I will sell a lot of their kits.. They are easy as can be to install.. But I will never recommend them until this issue is fixed and I don't know how they are going to fix it.

·
Registered
CTSV, C5TT, STi, 70Camaro
192 Posts
Not a CTS-v but my corvette with rear mounted turbo kit similar to STS. This is on a Mustang Dyno so it would be more like 620rwhp on a more popular DynoJet that most of people here uses.

My dyno on that day was 586rwhp/578rwtq with a boost leak. It could only do 10lbs that day instead of typical 17lbs. The engine is a stock 5.7 LS1 with forged pistons, LS6 cam, ported heads. The turbos are $150 a piece 1980's buick OEM turbos. It is tuned on 2 Bar SD (no MAF) and I drive it daily when I am not working on it.

The car has since been upgraded with LPE Launch Control/Anti Lag and adjusted to 7lbs of boost at launch.

The car is in the process of receiving a little better turbos: two 61mm compressor with Twin Scroll exhaust housing on T4 quick spool flanges. So it's down right now :crying2:

My only issue is the fuel, even with upgraded fuel system I am maxing out the 60lbs injectors. I am hoping to get 140+ lbs injectors, twin fuel pumps and run E85...

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
also i remember a few maxima guys running sts kits on their cars and they built some good power. a few of them even built their kits from scratch and had good results.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SC
410 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts