Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post on this forum so hi to everyone. I have spent the last couple of days reading to find some posts on tire replacements for my 99 STS. I live in Ontario a little north of Toronto and do not drive the car in the winter months. I do not really like the oem tires, so I am looking for alternatives to the Goodyears. Bridgestones, Michelins ??? any ideas? I have also been to the tirerack site, but I would prefer opinions from Cadillac owners. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ive found their decision guide very helpful......

Id use a softer (lower treadware number) up in toronto.... When tires are in cold, they tend to get hard..... Using a hard tire (higher treadware number) will only make problems worse, IE low traction......

·
Registered
141 Posts
elwesso said:
Ive found their decision guide very helpful......

Id use a softer (lower treadware number) up in toronto.... When tires are in cold, they tend to get hard..... Using a hard tire (higher treadware number) will only make problems worse, IE low traction......
I really like the ride and handling characteristics of the Michelin X radials. It is a stiff sidewall tire with very good traction on dry pavement, and comparitively good on wet pavement. Another good feature is that if I am in a hurry they don't squeal on curves and ramps. The STS with Michelin X radials takes the off ramps easily at twice or three times the posted speed limit without any tire squeal and with complete control. I drive in the snow with them and although they are not as good as a Blizzak in the snow, they do fairly well. I live in Rocheste, NY. We have some snow here. I have not driven the STS in the snow yet. I had Michelin X radials on my two previous cars and have them on the front of the STS. There are also Michelins on the rear, but do not know which ones they are.

I have decided not to buy any more Michelin tires because it is a French company.

I know people who are happy with Cooper/Dean passenger tires, but am not sure which specific tire.

I have been to Goodyear. They now have some good looking tires that have good warranties and good ratings and reviews. Until recently Goodyear did not have any tires I liked. I am a little hard to please in the tire area. My next set of tires will be either the Cooper/Dean tires, or Goodyear.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I have cooper lifeliner touring SLE (the UHP version, H rated), and I must say im not impressed..... Traction OK, squeals around some corners, and pretty noisy (in the cabin)..... Other than that their OK tires......

The UHP cobra (cant remember the exact name) look like one hell of a tire..... Go to www.cooper.com and check out their UHP lineup.......

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have Dunlop SP Sport 5000's on my car. They are a Z rated tire but ride very smooth. Alost, they arent expensive at all. They run aobut $90 a tire from tire rack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I have been back to tirerack and have read some good things about the Bridgestone Turanza LS so far. I will go back and look for the Cooper and Dunlops. When I use the filter feature for my car, these tires you mention do not show up so I did not know they existed until you pointed them out. Thanks for opening my eyes to different options. This has to be the best way to make a decision on buying-from users instead of salesmen. This internet thing is alright!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
My cooper lifeliners were $72/tire from my local cooper dealer...... Who is also the shop where I have anything done on my car.......

·
Registered
65 Posts
I suggest the Bridgestone Turanza's. My 98 STS has it and they are awesome. I am actually due to get new ones. The only issue is that they are a little more expensive than the Goodyears that come with the ride. They are a lot better than the Goodyears too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are looking for a more performance oriented tire(which you should be for an STS) take a look at the Bridgestone Potenzas. The RE730 is a summer only but they also have the RE950s (I think) that are all season. I use to autocross on Potenzas and I swear by them.

-Eli

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Dont forget about some of the little known brands...... Like Kuhmo and other ones like that (i cant remember off hand)...... Anyway, they are really a good alternative tire......

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
Dont forget about some of the little known brands...... Like Kuhmo and other ones like that (i cant remember off hand)...... Anyway, they are really a good alternative tire......
all this talk about tires has got me thinking. I still have the stock rims on my eldo and i hate them. plus the tires are shitty with plenty of tred. In the summer i was going to get some better rims and good tires. Does anyone have any input on wether i should use the old set for winter and the others for summer and buy summer tires or sell my current set and get all season tires???? Not to knowledgeable about tires and what is better to do for car

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Snow tires are always a good idea...... For optimum results, id use studded tires on the driving wheels and regular ones on the other wheels......

All season tires are good also..... And since you have an FWD caddy, you may not need snow tires (RWD Q with no weight in the back doesnt help).......

Whether you use snow tires or not is not the issue, but its defintely going to be worse on the car if you let it sit in a snow drift because you didnt have adequate traction........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey 727. Read your post and had to laugh. I am 2 weeks ahead of you. I live in Ohio (occasionally snowy), and needed new tires on my '2000 STS. Read all the posts and opinions you did. Decided on the Bridgestone Turanzas LS -H's. Had them two weeks now, and what an incredible improvement over OEM's. Now I fly into the off-ramps (when my wife and daughter are not with me). Wet traction is incredible (this is where they are better than the Michelins, I can speak from past experience). Look around, if you like the Turanzas, differen't dealers will give very differen't deals. I got 4, out the door with complete road-hazard warranty for $569. I don't think you can buy 'em off the net and pay to have them installed for that. I got them at my local Firestone/Bridgestone dealership.

Good luck! Tires are subjective, but I love the Turanzas!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just installed some Sumitomo HTR+ V rated tires on my STS. The ride is good and I get much better wet traction than my old worn out tires. They cost ~60 apiece at tire rack. Wal-mart mounted and balanced them for $10 a wheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I am leaning towards the Turanza's. Since I won't be driving it this winter, I will be able to shop around and get the best deal I can. Maybe by the time I get around to putting these on (about March if the winter is over) I will have decided if I am going to put some slotted brakes behind them. God it never ends!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also will stay away from Michelin tires only because it is a french company. I say down with the french. If i ever need a white flag to surrender i will look up the french but til then i stay away from all that is french and all americans should do the same. God bless the great ole US of A

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
burekv