Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Good question. I too have seen many STS's with condensation in the tails.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here, I have non sts 92', but condensation in the tails is in about every 3 out of 5 sevilles sts or not in indianapolis. I'm gonna open mine up, hopefully try and get it taken care of

·
Registered
586 Posts
i was behind one yesterday that had condensation. then i got next to him and he had no grille and was missing a headlight. I almost cried. but hey! I got a thumbs up.

now Sal, if i had my plate frame by now he would have see to come here when i passed him :p

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
GQGreek said:
"Knock on wood", my STS's tailights are fine. No condensation at all.
the newer Seville's('98 and up) dont have the condensation problem, so we are safe

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
All you have to do to get rid of the problem is take the tail light out and drill a small hole in the bottom to let the trapped moisture out and the dry air in! Problem solved....I've done a few and it works like a charm!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
kcnewell said:
All you have to do to get rid of the problem is take the tail light out and drill a small hole in the bottom to let the trapped moisture out and the dry air in!
I need to print that on a business card, and start putting it on those cars.

~edit~ However...the more I think aboot it, the more I don't like the answer. I am no mechanical guru by any means, but it seems to me that there would be a reason that auto manufacturers aren't doing that already on their cars. I can't tell you the reason for them being sealed...but I can't see that having a hole in the tail light is actually good for the car itself...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It doesn't hurt the car and there should be a vent hole in there anyway to let condensation out just drill the hole towards the body side of the light to keep it concealed from view.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 98 STS has never had that condensation problem......But the upper brake light(The part at the top of the trunk lid)failed during warranty......The price for that part is $196.00......

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was driving behind one about a week ago and it had not only a little condensation, but it was almost half way full of water!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
They probably don't even know there's a problem!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
If the lights are sealed properly, then the thermal cycle would keep the fog from happening. The problem is that once you have a leak in the seal, then the balance is shot to hell and you get the fog. As KC said, drill a small hole in the bottom of the lens and you should be fine. Matter of fact, if you do it right, the best thing to do would be to drill one in the top AND bottom, but then if you do it wrong, all you'll do is give water a way in.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
From what I've seen....most of these guys would do it wrong! Wes would probably drill a hole from the outside with a 2" hole saw!:D

Or maybe just whack it with a ball peen hammer!:banghead:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your probably out of blinker fluid!!!! Or no let me look in the caddi manual, ah yes there it is you have activated the tail light condesation switch please take your car to the nearest caddi dealer for a good OUT OF POCKET experiance. Although I have a friend that had the same problem on his lincoln LS he used that stuff (I'm really not sure of what its called) that absorbs water and says DO NOT EAT. it worked for him fine dropped it in the light hole and bam no condesation. Seems like the backyard mechanic way but whatever works!
Good luck
George

1 - 20 of 24 Posts