Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a newer caddy and i was just wondering which would be a better buy a STS or ETC with around 120,000 miles. Between the years 93 and 96
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
It's kind of hard to tell someone what to buy. Their very similar yet very different IMHO. Power wise their kind of the same due to size and weight differences. At 120,000 I really dont know what would make the other better other then preference. Of course theres the biggest difference of 2 door or 4 door. And taking the years and mileage your looking at im guessing something that doesnt cost much? To replace your 89' eldo? But that's all I can say. Maybe someone else will chime in and possibly help you out. Good Luck!

MacK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Yeah there pretty much the same. I like the STS for the situations when u need the extra 2 doors for family and friends when going on trips but then i like the ETC when u want the sportier look
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
If the last of the eldos had the 98' + Seville interior, It would have been a very close decision when I way buying. Love everything about eldos except interior. But just my opinion.

MacK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
MY ETC gets plenty of compliments. I don't think I would get as many with an STS. Both nice cars, either way you can't go wrong. Just find one you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
MacKiNBacK said:
It's kind of hard to tell someone what to buy. Their very similar yet very different IMHO. Power wise their kind of the same due to size and weight differences. At 120,000 I really dont know what would make the other better other then preference. Of course theres the biggest difference of 2 door or 4 door. And taking the years and mileage your looking at im guessing something that doesnt cost much? To replace your 89' eldo? But that's all I can say. Maybe someone else will chime in and possibly help you out. Good Luck!

MacK
I must agree with Mack...
Your greatest advantage is the vehicle with the most complete maintenance history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Eldorados are 2-door, and Sevilles are 4-door. Because of that, the Eldorado is considered to be "sportier". As far as I'm concerned, they are the 2 and 4-door version of the same car. Many parts are interchangable. I feel that the Eldorado has more front-room for the front passengers but at the expense of anyone who might be sitting in back, whereas the Sevilles have more rear-room for the rear passengers at the expense of the front passengers. Either way, you would get used to it.

Either car is a good choice, but I like ETCs much more than STSs mostly because I typically drive it alone and the 2-door is a little easier to get in and out of. If I always had to carry two or more passengers, then I would definitely have grabbed an STS.

At the risk of getting flamed, I think an ETC looks like a "one-man car" whereas an STS looks like it "needs more passengers." :canttalk:

My experience is that almost ALL Caddys look good on the outside. Their exterior always looks "new" to the point that you can never tell how old the car is. The wear and tear on the inside is the real give-away, so regardless of which one you get, try to find one with a nice interior and is mechanically sound. Then, before you buy, hit the magic keys on the console to make it dump any trouble codes. Write them down and look them up. THEN make your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
Rock said:
Eldorados are 2-door, and Sevilles are 4-door. Because of that, the Eldorado is considered to be "sportier". As far as I'm concerned, they are the 2 and 4-door version of the same car. Many parts are interchangable. I feel that the Eldorado has more front-room for the front passengers but at the expense of anyone who might be sitting in back, whereas the Sevilles have more rear-room for the rear passengers at the expense of the front passengers. Either way, you would get used to it.

Either car is a good choice, but I like ETCs much more than STSs mostly because I typically drive it alone and the 2-door is a little easier to get in and out of. If I always had to carry two or more passengers, then I would definitely have grabbed an STS.

At the risk of getting flamed, I think an ETC looks like a "one-man car" whereas an STS looks like it "needs more passengers." :canttalk:

My experience is that almost ALL Caddys look good on the outside. Their exterior always looks "new" to the point that you can never tell how old the car is. The wear and tear on the inside is the real give-away, so regardless of which one you get, try to find one with a nice interior and is mechanically sound. Then, before you buy, hit the magic keys on the console to make it dump any trouble codes. Write them down and look them up. THEN make your decision.
I echo pretty much the same thing.
I call the STS a family ride.
The ETC a personal ride.
The two are mechanically the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Hello...
I have owned both an ETC and an STS.
I much prefer the STS for a few simple reasons:
-the ETC has severe blind spots;
-the ETC has 2 doors that are HUGE and HEAVY;
-the ETC has a back seat that, while comfortable,
is difficult to get in and out of.

Further, I like the interior of the STS better:
-for example:
While both of my cars are 2000, the ETC looks more like the 1998 STS than the 2000 STS.

Post back what you decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
try to get a 96 if possible. less chance of head gasket problems. GM started using dexcool in their cars starting in 96. i personally like both. i always think i should have got an Eldorado. but then when i think about it my seville STS is sweet, it has everything the eldorado has and then some.

both the ETC and STS have the 300hp engines. not the 275hp ones that come in the base eldorado and seville. the STS and ETC will have less torque (slower off the line) than the base models. but once you get those RPMs up there watch out ! you'll be cruising.

good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
fpmesiIII said:
try to get a 96 if possible. less chance of head gasket problems. GM started using dexcool in their cars starting in 96. i personally like both. i always think i should have got an Eldorado. but then when i think about it my seville STS is sweet, it has everything the eldorado has and then some.

both the ETC and STS have the 300hp engines. not the 275hp ones that come in the base eldorado and seville. the STS and ETC will have less torque (slower off the line) than the base models. but once you get those RPMs up there watch out ! you'll be cruising.

good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
Well, if you are going to start with model year specific, then 96 is good for the ETC but 1998 or newer would be best for the STS. 1998 was the last body style change for the Seville through 2004. Year 2000 was the first production run of dense (less porous) upper block casings.
So I guess a 2004 with over 120K miles would be a good bet...eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
having a 94 etc i would say the el dog looks better but its is really a one man car [ a lucky man] but the seville has four doors same get up but not a coupe but if i had to make a choice i would get the best maintained one for sure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Hey ElDawgg.. Do you mean your 2000 ETC looks more like a 97? Because 98' and 00' the same. And as far as2 doors = 1 man, Im almost always by myself. Driving 40,000 miles a year. If I have people in the car it's only 1. So the back seats are never really used. But I got into Cadillacs through my dads 92 Sedan DeVille. Ran perfect for the year and 1/2 I owned. Traded it in for my 00' STS (why did I do that!?!?!?!). But ever since then ive been a 4 door guy, though I never really make use of it. Love big cars!

MacK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Rock said:
Eldorados are 2-door, and Sevilles are 4-door. Because of that, the Eldorado is considered to be "sportier". As far as I'm concerned, they are the 2 and 4-door version of the same car. Many parts are interchangable. I feel that the Eldorado has more front-room for the front passengers but at the expense of anyone who might be sitting in back, whereas the Sevilles have more rear-room for the rear passengers at the expense of the front passengers. Either way, you would get used to it. . . . . Either car is a good choice . . . .
I think Rock summed it up neatly. At 6' 3" I NEED the front seat legroom of the coupe. It comes at a price, however; only the very young children of Mustang owners envy my back seat. Sorry, but I can't give up that legroom. OTOH, I rarely transport back seat passengers.

Another consideration: weather permitting, I like to drive with the driver's window down as much as possible. That's great in the coupe, however in the sedan the "B" pillar is *right* next to your left ear and is responsible for a sort of turbulence that will make you crazy after a long run on the highway.

Regards,
Warren
 

·
Cadillac Maniac
Joined
·
13,753 Posts
From 1995 through the final year, the ETC was nearly identical. If you want a car that looks like it could be just a few years old, go for the 1995 or newer ETC. However, even in 1992 the STS looked very much like the 1997. The STS got an exterior update in 1998. The 1994 and older ETC had a noticibly different exterior (almost all in the ground effects) than 1995.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
CaddyCrisis said:
Im looking to buy a newer caddy and i was just wondering which would be a better buy a STS or ETC with around 120,000 miles. Between the years 93 and 96

Dear CaddyCrisis,

Looks like you're looking for something a little older, but I have a 2000 STS in White Diamond currently for sale, if you're interested. The car is clean, stock, and carries the balance of 2-GM warranties.

The listing is in Cadillac Classifieds, or you can go to http://www.americanrisksolutions.com/sts2000.html for pics and info.

:welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Hello...

MacKiNBack:
What I meant to say was that the Eldorado has used the styling cues from the previous edition of Seville. For example, the 2000 Eldorado uses styling cues (more interior than exterior) from the 1998 Seville. If you compare the interior (dash+electronics) of a 2000 ETC and a 2000 STS, you will notice that there is a big difference.
Hope this is helpful...sometimes words fail me in the "heat of the post."
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
ElDawgg 2G
Top