Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 STS 1SB, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Platinum
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a very noticeable oil leak underneath my car. I looked under it and every few seconds you can see quite a bit dripping out. The kicker is it only happens when the car is running and there is pressure. It comes out directly from the oil filter area, possibly even the oil filter. When I changed the oil right before Christmas I made sure that there wasn't an extra gasket stuck in there, and I oiled the gasket on the new one I just put in. So my question is, what could this be? On a side note I get the CHECK OIL LEVEL notification every start up, but i always pop the hood open and check the dipstick and it is always in the "good" area.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
The oil filter adapter, the oil pressure sending switch, or the filter itself are suspect. In your car the filter adapter uses two O-rings and two mounting bolts. The sending switch is screwed into the top side of the adapter. Both have been known to cause leaks - not common, but not unheard of. Several threads on this down in Cadillac Tech Tips. Google "cadillac forums northstar oil filter adapter". (Later models use a one-piece oil filter adapter gasket-O-ring assembly)

Car up on a hoist, lower air deflector removed. Magic words and small hands.

The amber nylon nut-looking thing just under the oil filter adapter is the level sensor. It's a wand with a reed switch and float ring. Check the connector and wiring, otherwise replace it. Simple - talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac tomorrow morning.

More pictures and diagrams of all these parts in my albums - click my username, open the profile. left column - 2 albums, 6 pages of parts and diagrams for your car.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,104 Posts
Hello all. I have a very noticeable oil leak underneath my car. I looked under it and every few seconds you can see quite a bit dripping out. The kicker is it only happens when the car is running and there is pressure. It comes out directly from the oil filter area, possibly even the oil filter. When I changed the oil right before Christmas I made sure that there wasn't an extra gasket stuck in there, and I oiled the gasket on the new one I just put in. So my question is, what could this be? On a side note I get the CHECK OIL LEVEL notification every start up, but i always pop the hood open and check the dipstick and it is always in the "good" area.
------------------------
every day it's something new with that car -
I do feel sorry for you -

it won't be too long before you re-name the car from "AMY" -
to "..... creative spelling ...."

just remember - not all Cadillacs are like that one -
yours was just "rode too hard - and put away wet too often"

·
Registered
2007 STS 1SB, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Platinum
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I go to bed I pray that someday things will get better. I just keep a positive outlook on things and just repair when needed. I find this car to be an "experience". It might sound wierd but I have learned more about a car mechanically, than I ever have! The person who owned this before me didnt maintain it at all besides changing the fluids and putting gas in it. He drove it so hard that he cracked all 4 rims and replaced them with cruddy 1995 seville ones. I think that my car is in its "retirement years" so to speak. So I shall treat it gently and repair it as it comes at me. Someday there will just be nothing else to fix!

----------

BTW: Thanks for the quick reply sub!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts