Cadillac Owners Forum banner

STS MRC Replacement

9K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if I can replace my '05 STS struts with non MRC struts ? My car has 185,000 and the cost to do all four MRC shocks is way too expensive. Would love to just put in a good set of Bilsteins or KYB.

#6 ·
Agreed. MRC is spendy to fix/replace but that's the risk you take when you buy an MRC equipped Cadillac...If my MRC shocks/struts ever need replacing they'll get OEM replacements...Can't imagine this thing with a "normal" suspension setup...It would handle like a Caprice.

#8 ·
haha. Have you driven an 05+ STS without MRC? I would not describe it as wandering all over the road like a sad cow... Fine handling car with the normal suspension. I drove both, and considering I planned to keep the car for a very long time I choose one without it due to the lower maintenance cost.

#10 ·
Thanks fir all your input on this. Perhaps some of you are not aware of the cost. It is over $800 per strut plus labor !!! That's pushing $4,000 to replace the shocks. If my car had low mileage I would have no problem however I have 185,000 miles and the cost of replacing MRC is about 40% the value of my STS. Hence my dilemma

I did find a way to make The ride a little better by selecting sport mode on the settings. For all my eight years of owning my car I always kept it in the comfort mode due to the pot holes of NYC. The ride did get a little bit better and all in all I might just have to tough it up and hold on tight when the big bumps come. I love my STS but $4k fir shocks. No way

#11 ·
I've got 126k on my DeVille and recently got the (used) car bug, hoping to sell before I have to make a decision about an expensive repair (or another rash of less expensive ones). Found out my trade-in value is even smaller than I thought. I like the STS much better than the DTS, but I'm not sure it's a quantum better than my DeVille for my uses, so I may just run my car into the ground. There are still low mileage DeVilles and 05-07 STSs out there at reasonable prices. They've become popular around here in the 6 years since I bought mine.

#12 ·
DG2 said:
Thanks fir all your input on this. Perhaps some of you are not aware of the cost. It is over $800 per strut plus labor !!! That's pushing $4,000 to replace the shocks.
$800+ each??? From where? The dealer?

Those prices are inflated...unless you're in Canada.(can't see location via Andriod app)

At most MRC shocks/struts are $600, seen some for less than $500.

I realize it's expensive, the F45 CVRSS shocks/struts in my old 01 Seville came with the same ugly price tag, but that's Cadillac for ya...Gotta pay to play my friend!

#20 ·
#23 ·
DG2,

Here you go:

Fronts #19300078
$775.14 - list price each
$466.00 - forum price each

Rear (LH) #89060191
$960.46 - list price
$577.00 - forum price

Rear (RH) #89060192
$901.86 - list price
$542.00 - forum price

If you get two I will do half price shipping and if you get all four I'll ship for free.

That's the best prices I can offer

#24 ·
dkozloski said:
It's a sad day when the owner of one of the finest road cars of our day must convert it to a generic hoopty to be able to afford to drive it and keep up the "look".
Understand my high mileage but that's the point of spending nearly 40% tge value of the car fir new MRC struts.

----------

RippyPartsDept said:
DG2,

Here you go:

Fronts #19300078

Rear (LH) #89060191
$960.46 - list price
$577.00 - forum price

Rear (RH) #89060192
$901.86 - list price
$542.00 - forum price

If you get two I will do half price shipping and if you get all four I'll ship for free.

Wow ! Those are great prices. Thanks Rippy. Seems like my dealer is taking full advantage and charging me full retail. Pretty ticked about that as I give them a ton of biz

Going think it over. Thanks so much !!!i

#25 ·
well we charge full retail also when a car is in the shop
sometimes we offer discounts but we try to get full retail mainly
we treat the online sales as sales we never were going to get anyway
so we try and make a little money (online is competitive) just to make it worth spending the extra time doing price checks and making the sales and shipping out the parts
we mainly do it for the online Cadillac community (and for the goodwill that we usually receive in turn)

one thing to consider (that i've run in to a bit lately) is the parts warranty

the parts are covered by GM's parts warranty but if you don't get them installed by a dealer the labor isn't covered
i think that to get the labor covered on a parts warranty you have to buy the parts at the dealer who installs them
that way the parts and labor show on one invoice that can then be covered by warranty

recently i sold an ecm that turned out to be a dud and the dealer who was programming it for the guy wants to charge him twice for programming
(once for trying the dud and again for the parts warranty ecm)
he called me trying to get me to help him pay for the second programming but there's nothing that i could do
(even if i refunded him the little profit we made on that ecm it wouldn't come close to paying the price of the programming charge)
i felt really bad for him but it was really out of my hands - that dealer's policy to charge twice is something i have no control over
if something like that happened here we would usually not charge twice (or try and figure out a way to get one of the labor charges covered)

so basically the advantage i can offer over other discount parts places is that i provide an official dealership parts invoice that can be warrantied at any dealer nationwide (not sure about outside the US)
rockauto/amazon/GMPD/etc can only do a refund and try and get it covered on their end if there's a problem while I can tell you to go to your nearest GM dealer with your invoice and defective part and get another one

just fyi

#26 ·
RippyPartsDept said:
DG2,

Here you go:

Fronts #19300078

Rear (LH) #89060191
$960.46 - list price
$577.00 - forum price

Rear (RH) #89060192
$901.86 - list price
$542.00 - forum price

Rippy what state is your dealership ?? If close this savings could be worth a trip and install

#28 ·
His signature says he's in Wilmington NC, probably 10 hours from NYC if you don't get stuck in traffic. But for all we know, he could be in a bunker in South Dakota.

It's a sad day when the owner of one of the finest road cars of our day must convert it to a generic hoopty to be able to afford to drive it and keep up the "look".
You're welcome to send him a check for $2,000. There comes a point in every car's life when you have to decide whether to keep pumping money into it or cut your losses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.