Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can replace my '05 STS struts with non MRC struts ? My car has 185,000 and the cost to do all four MRC shocks is way too expensive. Would love to just put in a good set of Bilsteins or KYB.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I wanted to say that Mine went to speed limited to 80Mph? when I momentarily unplugged a strut.. my memory could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Pay the Cadillac tax and get the real thing.
Agreed. MRC is spendy to fix/replace but that's the risk you take when you buy an MRC equipped Cadillac...If my MRC shocks/struts ever need replacing they'll get OEM replacements...Can't imagine this thing with a "normal" suspension setup...It would handle like a Caprice.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
You can replace the MRC shocks with cheap substitutes but you will then have a car that wanders all over the road like a sad old sow.
haha. Have you driven an 05+ STS without MRC? I would not describe it as wandering all over the road like a sad cow... Fine handling car with the normal suspension. I drove both, and considering I planned to keep the car for a very long time I choose one without it due to the lower maintenance cost.

·
Registered
2005 STS Northstar RWD
511 Posts
I can see that I am very pleased with the standard suspension on the STS. It does everything I need it to do on my 8 mile commute to work :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fir all your input on this. Perhaps some of you are not aware of the cost. It is over $800 per strut plus labor !!! That's pushing $4,000 to replace the shocks. If my car had low mileage I would have no problem however I have 185,000 miles and the cost of replacing MRC is about 40% the value of my STS. Hence my dilemma

I did find a way to make The ride a little better by selecting sport mode on the settings. For all my eight years of owning my car I always kept it in the comfort mode due to the pot holes of NYC. The ride did get a little bit better and all in all I might just have to tough it up and hold on tight when the big bumps come. I love my STS but $4k fir shocks. No way

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
I've got 126k on my DeVille and recently got the (used) car bug, hoping to sell before I have to make a decision about an expensive repair (or another rash of less expensive ones). Found out my trade-in value is even smaller than I thought. I like the STS much better than the DTS, but I'm not sure it's a quantum better than my DeVille for my uses, so I may just run my car into the ground. There are still low mileage DeVilles and 05-07 STSs out there at reasonable prices. They've become popular around here in the 6 years since I bought mine.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
DG2 said:
Thanks fir all your input on this. Perhaps some of you are not aware of the cost. It is over $800 per strut plus labor !!! That's pushing $4,000 to replace the shocks.
$800+ each??? From where? The dealer?

Those prices are inflated...unless you're in Canada.(can't see location via Andriod app)

At most MRC shocks/struts are $600, seen some for less than $500.

I realize it's expensive, the F45 CVRSS shocks/struts in my old 01 Seville came with the same ugly price tag, but that's Cadillac for ya...Gotta pay to play my friend!

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
My dealer quoted me 565 each for the mrc struts. He was mad that I wanted the part number so I could try to find it somewhere else cheaper

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the dealer did quote me the price for the replacements. The price was $775 each. I live on Long Island so I guess our dealers are little pricier then others.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Maybe you should go to the dealer with the 550$ shock? Saving 200 on each is worth a trip. Is that price for installed?

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
The $500ish price is part only based on what my dealer charged the service contract and what GM list price is on them is

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
stoveguyy said:
Maybe you should go to the dealer with the 550$ shock? Saving 200 on each is worth a trip. Is that price for installed?
I would add if the other price was fir brand new ones ?? Seems too low. But then again it could simply be the New York thing.

·
Registered
2009 STS
54 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts