Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
My '94 STS not too long ago started making a really high frequency whine sound from under the hood, quite loud too. THe pic shows where i hear it the most.
THe belt maybe? Any ideas? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
mmm...y is the pic so small.
The noise is coming from the bottom right of the engine right near the belt.
but not so sure it's the belt making the noise.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
The pic is fine, you click on it and it blows up. The noise could be the pulley or the pump. Oil the pulley first.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it sounded like it shutoff when i turned the car off.
The more i listen the more it sounds like it's coming right underneath the engine.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,647 Posts
The pully that is visible in the picture is the drive pully for the water pump. It is driven off the intake cam. Remove the black shroud that your hand is on in the picture. Under it you'll find the spring loaded tensioner pully that keeps the belt tensioned. Likely the bearing is going bad.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Ranger said:
The pully that is visible in the picture is the drive pully for the water pump. It is driven off the intake cam. Remove the black shroud that your hand is on in the picture. Under it you'll find the spring loaded tensioner pully that keeps the belt tensioned. Likely the bearing is going bad.
Slightly loosen the tension on the tensioner pulley.
Believe you can do that with a 1/2 inch drive socket wrench. The tensioner pulley should have a square hole on it that the box drive will fit into.

Once youve "Slightly" loosened the tension on the belts see if there is any play on the pulley you were pointing at. If so the water pump will need to be changed.

If not, it could be the bearing on the tensioner itself. Would then have to release all the tension to see if there is any play on that.
If so, then replace the tensioner pulley.

Have no idea where your power steering pump is.
Is it in that same vicinity ?
Cause if that starts to go it will make a low whining sound. Mostly while turning though.

Think the info Ive given is correct :hmm:
Am sure someone will correct me if Ive been misleading :disappoin

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,647 Posts
Murphyg said:
Slightly loosen the tension on the tensioner pulley.
Believe you can do that with a 1/2 inch drive socket wrench. The tensioner pulley should have a square hole on it that the box drive will fit into.
1/4" drive on the water pump tensioner. 1/2" drive on the serpentine belt tensioner.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
And get rid of the K&N...the stock filter gives better performance and debris filtering, according to damn near everyone on here, and all the testing that's been circulating around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts