Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my alternator out for a couple of days, so the battery was disconnected during this time as well. I hooked it back up this morning and went and got gas. There is no way I have gone through $30 worth of gas in less than 60 miles (I haven't been driving it hard) However as I drive you can almost watch the gas needle go down. It's almost on E when I shut if off. When I start it again it goes up to almost 3/4 full then it'll drop suddenly again as I start to get down the road. I'm confused. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sean McDonald said:
I just had my alternator out for a couple of days, so the battery was disconnected during this time as well. I hooked it back up this morning and went and got gas. There is no way I have gone through $30 worth of gas in less than 60 miles (I haven't been driving it hard) However as I drive you can almost watch the gas needle go down. It's almost on E when I shut if off. When I start it again it goes up to almost 3/4 full then it'll drop suddenly again as I start to get down the road. I'm confused. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

I just noticed my gas guage has begun acting up as well. I filled it up and the gauge stayed on full for about 170 miles. I kinda figured that there was no way that I was all of a sudden getting about 50 mpg.

The guage finally moved but never got below a half a tank. When I got to 233 miles on the trip odometer(luckliy I reset it when I filled the tank), I filled the tank again and was able to put 14.5 gallons of gas in the tank. Wow! all of a sudden I have a 29 gallon tank! When did those gremlins install that????

I'm waiting to see if the gauge is working ok now after refilling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife's '96 STS stops due to empty fuel tank even though gauge indicates nearly 1/4 tank and DTE indicates plenty of miles until empty. I filled it and zeroed the fuel used counter, then watched as I drove it. It shows 14.5 gallons used and gauge indicates half tank. It used to work fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
You guys live in areas with Alchohol blend fuels by any chance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts