Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed after detailing my car, that the headlamps were dirty(foggy) from the inside. I noticed this while my car was dirty but figured it was just dirt on the outside of the housing. It doesn't look like it is from moisture getting inside, it just looks like dust, hence the foggy appearance. When i got the car in Dec. the lights were crystal clear, now they look old and dusty. Anyone else have this problem, and if so how did you fix it? My car is still under factory warranty. Does anyone think Cadillac would replace the headlamp housing because of this? Or, am I screwed because technically nothing is wrong with the housing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I cleaned mine out ( Not real easy) I removed them, Washed them out with soap and water, Blew out the excess moisture with compressed air and re-installed them. They do however look as good as new and I will repeat the process again if needed! It takes a couple of hours so do it when you have some spare time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you wash them out? Did you have to take them apart, and how did you seal them back if you did take them apart? Why do they get like that. Sorry for all the questions, it just really irritated me after seeing them like that.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The headlamps on your '01 STS are most likely the victim of an issue that Cadillac had a few years ago. Guide Division, the group that actually makes your lamps, had some manufacturing "issues" which caused your very symptoms. The problem was the adhesive they used to attach the "clear" lens to the housing delaminated and allowed a gap in the top seal which in turn allowed dirty water to enter the lamp. After the water evaporates, it leaves a dirty film behind. The factory WILL replace the lenses if "pushed" sufficiently I assure you.
They will turn you down if all there is, is a little fog (they consider that "normal") though.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I didn't take them apart....I went in through the holes that the bulbs mount in ( like I said, Not easy ) with a small brush on a flexible handle to get the tough stuff....I used luke warm water and regular dish soap. If you try this...MAKE SHURE YOU GET THEM DRY after you clean'em

·
Registered
82 Posts
a trick that a local custom car show said fill the housing with soapy water, put uncooked rice in it, and swish it around. The rice will agitate the dirt right off the lens. It worked great in my old car, should work great in the caddies,
Frank

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just spoke to my service guy at Caddy, he said this is commonplace on the newer Seville's. He said to bring it in next week and he'll swap the housings out with new ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Katshot said:
The headlamps on your '01 STS are most likely the victim of an issue that Cadillac had a few years ago. Guide Division, the group that actually makes your lamps, had some manufacturing "issues" which caused your very symptoms. The problem was the adhesive they used to attach the "clear" lens to the housing delaminated and allowed a gap in the top seal which in turn allowed dirty water to enter the lamp. After the water evaporates, it leaves a dirty film behind. The factory WILL replace the lenses if "pushed" sufficiently I assure you.
They will turn you down if all there is, is a little fog (they consider that "normal") though.
Good luck.
Thanks Katshot, you were dead on! I brought my STS to my dealership and they tried giving me the runaround. They tried telling me that nothing was getting in to the light housing, that the foggy appearance was caused by the sunny South Florida weather beating down on the plastic. I knew moisture was getting in somehow and after 3 consecutive days of rain it proved that. My lights looked like a cheap watch after it had been in water too long. I brought it back and showed them, they apologized and put brand new 2003 STS headlights in for me. What a difference, the car looks brand new again!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Friggin' dealers!!!! They always trying to pull a fast one on the consumer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Katshot said:
Good luck.
The condition was only on DeVilles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mad'lac said:
Friggin' dealers!!!! They always trying to pull a fast one on the consumer.
GM has specific guidelines to follow to replace lamps. If you have a moisture intrusion problem, take the lamps in loaded with water, not on a dry day when they have dried out. Then, get the Service Manager out to look at the lamps, and have him tell you what he is going to do to correct the condition, before the service advisor finishes writing the repair order.

If they tell you the Service Manager is unavailable, start climbing the ladder, ask for the General Manager, or the Dealer/Owner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can doubt whatever you like :banghead: , but I work at a large Cadillac dealership, and the only models that have had problems since 1994 were the 1997-1999 DeVilles. The Eldos and Sevilles had different lamps, with the 1998-up Sevilles being much different with the new body style.

Of course, I do not include the Caterribles with the true Cadillacs. These Opels have headlamp assys that self-destruct with age. The interior aiming mechanisms fall apart, leaving a lamp that cannot be aimed.

C ould
A nother
T ragedy
E ver
R eplace
A llante

There was no problem with the Broughams, as far a headlamps went.

:tisk:

Perhaps you should have listened more closely. I know that there were problems is a similar nature with at least one of the Buick models, but the DeVille was the only CADILLAC to experience headlamp problems in recent history, take the word of an expert.
:worship:Rayzer:worship:
ASE Master Tech
L1 Certified
GM Service Guild Platinum Level last 4 years
Cadillac Craftman's League Gold Level the 5 years before that

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It's nice to have another guy here that knows...

A. Cateras are NOT Cadillacs
B. Cateras are JUNK!
C. What they're talking about!

Welcome aboard Dude!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
rayzer said:

:tisk:

Perhaps you should have listened more closely. I know that there were problems is a similar nature with at least one of the Buick models, but the DeVille was the only CADILLAC to experience headlamp problems in recent history, take the word of an expert.
:worship:Rayzer:worship:
ASE Master Tech
L1 Certified
GM Service Guild Platinum Level last 4 years
Cadillac Craftman's League Gold Level the 5 years before that

Nice to have a "current" dealer tech here. Up to date info is always great to have and will be a benefit to all our members. But..........

I have NO IDEA what you meant by:
"Perhaps you should have listened more closely"

I DID say that "perhaps" the STS was the victim of the issue that affected the Devilles. And I DID say that there were other cars across other model lines, meaning that "perhaps" since others WERE involved "maybe" the STS was too. I never said that I "knew" the STS's were involved, but since there are a lot of Seville owners here that have had similar problems, it makes sense that one might come to the conclusion that the STS "might" share the issue. If not, excuse me for bringing it up :rolleyes:
Perhaps you should read the post a little more carefully before jumping to conclusions.

Oh, and one more thing, life will be far easier for everybody here if you leave your ego at the door. No matter HOW educated and experienced you may be, arrogance is never appreciated.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
Oh, and one more thing, life will be far easier for everybody here if you leave your ego at the door...

Did HE really say THAT?!!!?:shocked2: :histeric: :rofl: :nyanya:

Also...I tried to "LISTEN" to your post this morning, I couldn't hear it!
Possibly a technichal problem of some sort on this end.....:histeric:

·
Registered
7 Posts
the guys at Guide Division told me that there were others involved across all the model lines.
I believe you are confused by what the "guys" at guide Told you.

This is where the listening should have taken place.

Now listen to this, killfile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
6 Participants
Katshot