Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else besides me pissed off at cadillac that the new CTS is so much better then the STS when it comes to interior/audio/navigation/lighting/etc and at 15k less...i sure the hell am.
Binky what is your take on this??

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
anyone else besides me pissed off at cadillac that the new CTS is so much better then the STS when it comes to interior/audio/navigation/lighting/etc and at 15k less...i sure the hell am.
Binky what is your take on this??
After driving my AWD STS I wouldn't walk across the street for a CTS. The CTS was nice but the interior is too small and the V6 motor is harsh. It's a good city car but it's a kids car. The first thing I said to myself when I got in my STS was, "This is a real Cadillac". Neither NAV works in Alaska so that's a non issue. I have a 90% hearing loss in the higher frequencies from years of flying so the sound doesn't matter and everything else is fine. I got an exceptonal deal when I bought it so the price doesn't bother me. I finally figured out the seat presets so there is absolutely nothing about the car that annoys me. I'll stick with the STS.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
It sure does seem that the CTS and STS are closer than ever with the release of the 08s. I think GM had originally planned to move the STS further upmarket, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon - if ever. I read somewhere (maybe here) that the STS and DTS will be combined into a single offering with AWD or RWD/FWD (don't remember which).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok granted. however, what i am talking about the technology that can be had in a $34k cts that you cannot get in a 60k sts. the interior is far superior, the naviagation/ipod integration is better. the headlights and the interior lighting and lots of other cool "toys"

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
The nav and bluetooth in the STS are miles behind the current offerings. Whenever Cadillac decided to put these things in, they put as little effort into them as possible. After speaking with the manufacturer of the unit, they told me that they had only tested three phones for their use with the car!

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
ok granted. however, what i am talking about the technology that can be had in a $34k cts that you cannot get in a 60k sts. the interior is far superior, the naviagation/ipod integration is better. the headlights and the interior lighting and lots of other cool "toys"
I don't give a dog about no eye-pod, the headlight/intellibeam works great, the interior suits me fine, I've got enough light to see what I'm doing. Ignorance is bliss.
Evidently you're the kind of guy that buyers remorse eats him up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for what i paid and for what i got i do not have buyers remorse. the point i am trying to make here is that the sts is supposed to be the flagship GM sedan. it certainly has a sticker price to back up that statement. however, the current CTS has options (and toys if you will) that even the Current STS DOES NOT. does this make sense to anyone here? except for a (underpowered) V8 engine what else would be the reason to purchase an sts when you can get a little smaller car with a lot more content for a much cheaper price??!?
Chew on that Mr. Bear

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette
520 Posts
I agree with MarkVIII. I have had seven STS's and may go to a CTS for my next vehicle. The CTS appears to be a lot more bang for the buck (plus it looks better). The side vents added to the STS look slapped on, and I am not sure how I like the new grill. Since the STS is slated for some sort of change in the next two years it would be nice if a V- appearance package was offerred on the current awd. I think GM has product introduction backwards. They should introduce the higher-line vehicle first then follow in the next year with a lower model. I can't tell you how many times people have thought my STS is a CTS and I have a loaded 1SG. I am anxoius to see the new CTS V. Perhaps Gm will incorporate a traction system that will actually work on snow and rain.

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
The CTS is for kids who want gadgets. The STS is a smooth comfortable ride for the mature who don't want to be bothered fiddling with gimcracks. CTS owners want people to think they're important. STS owners don't give a damn. I have just as many people walk up to me and tell me I have a beautiful car with my STS as I did with my CTS. They're both nice cars made for a different demographic.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Binky i like ya but your wrong. It maked no sense to me why the CTS has things the STS does not. Weather you would want them or not in your vehicle is not the question here. Content is king when it comes to many things. Just the fact that the CTS has the better interior/nav/audio/ipod integration/headlights/ambient lights/suspension eats me up alive.

·
Registered
'06 Northstar STS 1SG, PHP, ACC/HUD '06 Redline CTS-V, FG2
242 Posts
I think GM has product introduction backwards. They should introduce the higher-line vehicle first then follow in the next year with a lower model.
I submit that's exactly what Cadillac did. The Sigma-based, higher-line STS was introduced in 2004, followed by the Sigma II-based lower model CTS in 2007. The STS, in its day, was a ground-breaking car for Cadillac and GM. The STS has now been supplanted by the evolutionary 2008 CTS. In time the STS/DTS replacement will supplant the CTS. As I am wont to remind everyone every once in a while: every year, in most ways, cars get better and better.

That's not to say that Cadillac shouldn't install a newer Nav system, add an MP3/iPod interface, and fit adaptive headlights to the STS. But those things require investments in engineering and design for a car that is, apparently, nearing the end of its life. It's my belief, based on the absence of such incremental improvements and the dearth of STS advertising, that Cadillac has given up on our (mostly) beloved STS. Gentlemen, we own/lease orphans-in-the-making.

The king is dieing!:crying2: Long live the new king!:banana:

Hey! This is my 100th post. Drinks for the house!:alchi:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I realize that if a car is not selling then there will be little or no money for R&D and improvments. I give you the cadillac eldorado of which i owned two. Here was a car that first came out in 1992. I would imagine the research for this car started in the late '80s. The car was just about unchanged for 11 years until it was discontinued. That means that cadillac was (trying) to sell a 1980's technology car in 2002. And at $49,000 (for the etc) yet.
This is one of the main reasons cadillac is behind the imports. I cannot think of one high end luxary import car company that would do that with any of there models. they would rather cancel production then sell some 10 yr old shit box.

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
I realize that if a car is not selling then there will be little or no money for R&D and improvments. I give you the cadillac eldorado of which i owned two. Here was a car that first came out in 1992. I would imagine the research for this car started in the late '80s. The car was just about unchanged for 11 years until it was discontinued. That means that cadillac was (trying) to sell a 1980's technology car in 2002. And at $49,000 (for the etc) yet.
This is one of the main reasons cadillac is behind the imports. I cannot think of one high end luxary import car company that would do that with any of there models. they would rather cancel production then sell some 10 yr old shit box.
Something doesn't compute here. My friend had a '54 Eldorado; dual 4-barrels, tailfins and all.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
I don't own either an sts or a cts but One of these days I'll own an STS. Today I sat in both the STS and the CTS while at the dealership. I must say, the aesthetics of the CTS's interior knocked my socks off! In fact I sat in the CTS first and then the STS (both 2008). When I sat in the STS the interior looked/felt like an older model car. I sat in both for less than two minutes each but that is my initial reaction. I can't speak to any details or specifics .... again, only my initial reaction and feeling I got from each interior. I do appreciate and understand where MarkVIII is coming from and agree with his assessment. Also, do we appreciate cars for what they are, or who drives them?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts