Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 sts4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2005 STS4 with the V8 northstar 4.2L engine. I have deduced that my plugs and coils are shot and so I'm replacing them. The problem that I'm having right now is that on the passenger side of the engine, I am trying to remove the coil packs but I don't have enough clearance to pull the packs out. I'll post a picture and show you where it is getting hung up on. Is there some way to move the conduit rack out of the way to get the coil pack out so I can do my work. Someone told me there are 2 bolts and I can't find them. I will post pictures in a reply.

Thanks in advanced!

Teale

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
Using a Straight SLOT screwdriver, under the gray part, pry them up until they pop out.
It is a series of concentric rings, underneath, POP one, and you'll see HOW !
Happy Motoring :):cool2::)

·
Registered
2006 STS4
71 Posts
I just did mine and it was the metal bracket that was in the way. I gently bent it out of the way until I had enough clearance, then bent it back to its original position when I was done. Can't tell a it was ever moved.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
tealBehindthwheel said:
Hey guys, I have a 2005 STS4 with the V8 northstar 4.2L engine. I have deduced that my plugs and coils are shot and so I'm replacing them. The problem that I'm having right now is that on the passenger side of the engine, I am trying to remove the coil packs but I don't have enough clearance to pull the packs out. I'll post a picture and show you where it is getting hung up on. Is there some way to move the conduit rack out of the way to get the coil pack out so I can do my work. Someone told me there are 2 bolts and I can't find them. I will post pictures in a reply. Thanks in advanced! Teale
The 2 bolts are down below the rail right above the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2005 sts4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys, I did it. I just bent the metal out of the way and disconnected the wiring harnesses as to not mess anything up. I got the plugs and coils replaced and it runs like a champ. I had someone replace the plugs in a tuneup about 2 weeks ago and I have a feeling the guy didn't gap the plugs because they were anywhere between 0.055 and 0.065. In fact is was the plug that was 0.065 that looked scorched. Does anybody else here agree with me that perhaps the problem wasn't a bad coil and just an overgapped spark plug? By scorched I mean there is a burn on the ceramic that the electrode protrudes from. I'm wondering if I just wasted a bunch of money on coil packs that wasn't necessary. I have all of my plugs gapped at 0.048-0.05 and it runs beautifully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts