Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the rear bumper of my 08 STS and noticed one of my backup sensors was loose. I tried to pull it forward and it fell into the bumper. How hard will this be to fix? And how much will a repair place charge me?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Somebody reported this condition before and got exactly the same response. My guess is that the rear bumper facia is going to have to come off so I'd plan on a couple of hundred bucks anyway.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 and 2008 STS N* 1SE
57 Posts
My passenger side is pressed in a bit. I slid under the car and could get my hand on the rear of it but could not pull it down. It appears that if you remove the push pins located in front of the gas tank holding the rear bumper to the harness it will allow you to flex the bumper enough to push it back to make access a bit easier. You can pick up more push pins at Lowes if they break (1/4 pins). The only thing is I cant tell if the sensor piece on the outside of the bumper screws into the sensor on the rear. There is a small lip on the hole the sensor goes into which appears to be the only thing that may hold the front piece of the sensor to the rear. I'll get under there with my head flashlight today and give it another shot and post back. only my drivers rear sensor light flashes when I back up though.

If anyone has any experience with removing these please let us know...I didn't see anything on alldatadiy but I'll also check that again to see if the info is buried in there somewhere.

found this also: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/335801-backup-sensors.html

Thanks,

Will

Was looking at the rear bumper of my 08 STS and noticed one of my backup sensors was loose. I tried to pull it forward and it fell into the bumper. How hard will this be to fix? And how much will a repair place charge me?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I didn't recall until I got under there yesterday that the sensors sit above the bumper support. so you really wouldn't be able to see the thing without taking off the bumper cover but you can get your hands in there. I could not feel any clips it really seemed as if it was somehow stuck to the bumper but I jerry rigged some a contraption that pushes my slightly pushed in sensor forward and holds it in place, so I'm good for now. The thing still doesn't work inside the car, only the drivers side blinks when I backup. I don't know how its suppose to work anyway but I assume the blinking gets faster the closer you get to an object?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
You're getting a warning.
From the manual...

When the system turns on, the
three lights on the display will illuminate for one and a
half seconds to let you know that the system is
working. If your vehicle is moving in REVERSE (R) at a
speed greater than 3 mph (5 km/h), the red light will
flash to remind you that the system does not work at a
speed greater than 3 mph (5 km/h).
If an object is detected at a REVERSE (R) speed of
less than 3 mph (5 km/h), one of the following will occur

URPA.jpg

A chime will sound the first time an object is detected
between 20 inches (0.5 m) and 5 feet (1.5 m) away.
URPA cannot detect objects that are above trunk level.
In order for the rear sensors to recognize an object,
it must be within detection range behind the vehicle.

The light may flash red when the vehicle is in
REVERSE (R), if the ultrasonic sensors are not kept
clean. So be sure to keep your rear bumper free of mud,
dirt, snow, ice and slush. Other conditions that may
affect system performance include things like the
vibrations from a jackhammer or the compression of air
brakes on a very large truck. If after cleaning the
rear bumper and then driving forward at least 15 mph
(25 km/h), the display continues to flash red, see
your dealer.
If a trailer was attached to your vehicle, or a bicycle or
an object was hanging out of your trunk during your
last drive cycle, the light may also flash red. The light will
continue to flash whenever in REVERSE (R) until
your vehicle is driven forward at least 15 mph (25 km/h)
without any obstructions behind the vehicle.
For cleaning instructions, see Washing Your Vehicle...

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,207 Posts
I'm not sure about pre-2008 sensors because there were a couple of variations GM used in the 2000+ model year range. I do know that for 2008, there are tabs that the sensors clip into. These are molded right into the fascia at time of manufacture. GM had also used another type which consisted of an outer ring that passed through the fascia and clipped onto the sensor. This basically wedged the fascia between the retaining ring and sensor which is what held it in place. Like I said, I'm not sure what style GM used for the 2005-07 STS. For 2008+, if the retaining tabs break it will be a few bucks to repair. Either the broken tabs will need to be bonded in place, some other means implemented to accomplish this or the fascia requires replacement (which is very expensive).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks.

This morning I got a chime with red(driver side), amber, amber lights blinking. Got out, but nothing behind the car. Drove and when I put it in reverse to park it went back to only the driver side red blinking.

You're getting a warning.

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
I am now getting a red light blinking while in reverse telling me somethin's wrong. Are the sensors viewable and/or reachable from underneath or does the bumper need to be slid back or removed?

·
Registered
2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
531 Posts
1. start the car
2. apply parking brake
3. move transmission selector into Reverse position
4. Make sure vehicle not moving! Go to backup sensors and touch each sensor by finger
When touching the sensor you should feel little vibration on finger. Failed sensor not vibrating.
That is how you can find failed sensor.
Tech2 not monitor STS backup sensors, so you can't diagnose it.
You need to remove bumper facia to replace sensors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts