Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've decided to put a short ram intake on the STS. My question is, has anybody done this or does anybody foresee any problems with this? Although I have yet to take a good look at the intake system (I will before I do it) Are there any electronics connected to the airbox or the hose that I perhaps haven't noticed (haven't found any yet). It's a 1994 with the 4.6L Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Fortunately you dont have a MAF.....

Could you be more specific on the type of setup your doing..... A cone filter?? Keeping the stock box with a cold air tube on it??? I dont know what a "short ram intake is"......

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
Fortunately you dont have a MAF.....

Could you be more specific on the type of setup your doing..... A cone filter?? Keeping the stock box with a cold air tube on it??? I dont know what a "short ram intake is"......
Basically like the ones you would see on some imports. The short metal pipe with a single bend that replaces the factory hose with a cone shaped K&N type filter on the end. The way I'm going to run it, it will come out between the headlight and the rad, behind the grill.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Ok..... thats what I thought.

In reports done on www.caddyinfo.com, they did this same setup, and they found they actually LOST power........ I wouldnt put it in the grille area, it will dirty the filter too easy and I wouldnt want water getting in there (possibility of hydrolock, granted unlikely).....

A member here has a CAI setup to his stock airbox, and it seems to work pretty good..... His S/N is Damien_1F9STS or something like that..... see what he says! I cant remember how exactly he did it!

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
28 Posts
I made my own using 3" ducting. I pulled out the factory foglights (don't put out much light anyway) and used the drivers side opening for the inlet. It was one turn and then staight up to the opening below the filter area. I pulled the box and run a large K&N cone filter. Nice shot of cold air right on the filter when moving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
on the 98+ STSs the best way to do it is to take the top off the airbox that covers the computer. Then, take the resonator off the intake tube and plug the hole with the lid off a pickle jar. (paint it black if you care). Then, just put a K&N drop in in the stock air box.

This leaves it shielded from engine heat and provides the engine with PLENTY of airflow. (more than it needs)

Also, with the cover off and resonator removed, the intake is so lound that it vibrates the floorboards.

-Eli

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any suggestions for a 94?

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
K2K said:
Any suggestions for a 94?

Leave it alone...???? The production air intake system provides all the air flow that the engine needs and keeps the intake system dry (no water intrusion) and quiet... There is very little to no gain in the air intake system on that package unless the exhaust has been heavily modified to reduce the backpressure and even then the gains on the intake side are small to non-existent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
theres something about a cadillac and pickle jar lid that don't sound right together. i think i'd cut my own piece of plastic if i'd really actually do that mod but it really doesn't sound like its worth it and sounds kind of cheap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can use anything you want. A lid just happends to work perfectly to plug the hole. Once it is painted, it looks factory.

-Eli

·
Registered
71 Posts
TSopranoSTS1 said:
what's next modding with tampons for ferraris?
Your a pretty funny guy. I don't do ANYTHING ghetto. I have owned show winning cars. (real shows...not ricer shows)

-Eli

1 - 14 of 14 Posts