Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the need of new struts. A continuation of the major steering issue I was discussing earlier. Still hearing noises. You would think that the dealer in January, AND Merchant tire who fixed the one issue would be able to tell me "You need new struts." You'd think! But no. So now, I need new struts, and after that $125 alignment number THREE in six months! UGH! So here's the problem...

It says, W/O magnetic ride? I have no idea WHAT kind of ride I have but I can say it rides like on a cloud, all smooth and gushy like it should, with lots of sway upon light turns back and forth yet when YANKING the wheel hard upon the typical pull out in front of you situation, it stiffens up and handles like a corvette with no roll. So, what do I have? Magnetic ride? No magnetic ride? Where on the read out of codes would I find if it does or does not? Anyone know the code on the trunk listing that would tell me?

Also, what's a good replacement. No I don't want to hear AC rip me off Delco. Monroe? I'm looking for the assembled shock. Just had two strut mounts put on at Merchant and alignment and two tires for $817, now I find out I didn't need the $200 in strut mounts in addition to that bill. So now I have to get a spring compressor and get my strut mounts back off the bad struts, "you think Merchant would have mentioned this before putting them on and doing the alignment, same for the dealer, and avoid me having to do this twice. I need the spring and strut, bellows, all assembled so I can simply put them on myself, to TRY to save a little money as it seems, everyone I take the car too is happy to take my money to do the work yet don't tell me the car has other issues before finishing it so that I have to come back. Welcome to America!

----------

P.S. now over three grand in the hole and STILL trying to fix this car! Anyone want to buy a GREAT AMERICAN CADILLAC DTS 2006!!!!?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Look at the RPO (Regular Production Option) sticker under the spare tire cover. Magnetic Ride Control will have the code F55 and the spring package should be FE3. If the spring package is FE1 with no accompanying suspension code(s), then you have passive suspension (or at least, not MRC).

Google "cadillac 2006 rpo code lists" or something close - decipher all your codes on the sticker to find out what's built into THAT car.

----------

P.S. now over three grand in the hole and STILL trying to fix this car! Anyone want to buy a GREAT AMERICAN CADILLAC DTS 2006!!!!?
Either get a GM/Helm service manual set from eBay or subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - if you have no idea of what you're driving you're doomed to throw money at it in hopes of "fixing" something. No wonder you're going broke - you're a perfect target for "upselling'.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
315 Posts
In 2006, unless you have the performance or platinum model..you have the base passive struts and shocks. Always take your Caddy to a GM Cadillac Dealership for major repairs. For brakes and minor things, you could do yourself or a different shop can.

I had alignment issues as well and the DTS has a fixed camber/caster/etc. You can only adjust the toe and something else I believe. If you're in Maryland, drive to PA and pay only $60 for your alignment or repairs. A lot cheaper hear.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
On a 2006... look at the VIN...
If the 8th digit is a "Y" you have the regular suspension..
If the 8th digit is a "9" you have Magnetic Ride...

·
Registered
2008 DTS
107 Posts
take your car to a shop that performs truck and spring and front end work. Not the dealer or local tire shop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hers what I suggest. Sounds like you have a good base to start with now with all your other repairs mentioned. Don't bad mouth the guys who worked on it so far there tough cars to figure out.

Buy the OEM struts and just pay up around $100 each. You probably have the FE3 soft ride RPO I think latest GM Part numbers have been redesigned and are stiffer than what was originally released on the car when new. I had both part numbers and noticed the latter number had resistance always were the original release had no resistance at all until you pumped the rod back and forth so first bump was taken 100% by the spring. You can also buy new coil springs for $80 a pair but most say you don't need them. The only test to know for sure if you need to measure ride height which at my age is to much work. I just paid the $80. They don't offer complete strut assemblies for that car. They should the car so heavy they wear out at around 80k like the old 70s boat cars and I bet the springs are wear quick because they take on a lot of work as mentioned previously. If you want to save some money buy the Monroe rear shocks. Best to do all this at same time. Do the work yourself $400 New Front Struts/Springs/Rear shocks. The car does not ride mushy if you do all this and it will be right. It may take 500 miles for all these parts to settle in. Not that bad of a deal for a Cadillac!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts