Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copied and pasted this from some random site. Does anyone know if this is true? Is there a procedure like this for a 1997 caddy deville?

Here it is:
(a way to shut off that stupid "service ride control" light
________________________________________

Okay, first of all, don't try this at home; not for the faint of heart; don't blame me if it breaks; I was not even there at the time. It is always best to repair the car properly, with new parts, when it breaks.

Also, "Incorrect option information in the IPC may cause many different problems". And disabling the warning messages obviously does not fix the system; it just disables the warnings.

On the Allante forum (www.allante.org) I saw a message thread which detailed how to disable the "Service CCR System" message (actually the SDD version that they had on the Allante, but similar problem). Thanks to Russ Peters ([email protected]) for repeating that message; he thanked [email protected] who apparently discovered this while trying to turn off the daytime running lights.

Consulting my Helm shop manual (pg 8C1-11 for those of you with the 92 version) I see a similar procedure. I have tried this, and it appears to work. The idea is that you tell the computer you don't have Ride Control, so the computer does not complain that the ride control does not work.

Lo and Hi refer to pushing the Lower fan speed or higher fan speed buttons.

0. Turn the ignition switch to battery (on but not start)
1. Enter diagnostic mode by pushing Off and Warmer together
until the instrument lights stop flashing.
After any codes are displayed, step through the queries as
follows:
2. CCM? Lo
3. IPC? Hi
4. IPC Data? Lo
5. IPC Inputs? Lo
6. IPC Override? Hi
7. IS00 Lo
8. IS45 Lo
9. 001 IS09 Lo (this may say "129 IS09" if you have the heated windshield option)
10. 008 IS08 This is the value we want to change. Press the Warmer and Cooler buttons to increase/decrease. Change this value to 000, which means no CCR. 008 means has Ride Control. This value is actually a sum of options; 008 is normal for north american cars. If you have some other number, just subtract 8
from it to turn off the ride control.
11. Press the Econ and the Front Defrost buttons at the same
time and hold until the 000 IS08 flashes. This takes a few
seconds. This writes the setting to memory.
12. Turn the ignition switch off.
13. Test drive and see if CCR error message appears.

Normally I get the Service CCR message as soon as I back out of the drive. During the test tonight I got it right away. After I turned off the CCR system I never got it. When I turned it back on I got it before I left my block. I think this change has
disabled the CCR system (which was not working anyway) and the related warning message.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Dito Problem

I noticed that in a previous thread you posted you mentioned that your car rides "bumpy and unsupportive". I have the exact same car (except its's a 96' concours) with the exact same problem but my ride control light isn't on. If you come across any miracle solutions please let me know; vice versa. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Dito Problem

Slick Black Cadillac said:
I noticed that in a previous thread you posted you mentioned that your car rides "bumpy and unsupportive". I have the exact same car (except its's a 96' concours) with the exact same problem but my ride control light isn't on. If you come across any miracle solutions please let me know; vice versa. Thanks.
I found this auction for passive struts on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33590&item=2436447979

Does anyone have an opinion on these? What do you guys think about the price? How much are they gonna cost to install?
 

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
Joined
·
173 Posts
GUYS............More of those $$$$$$$ front
struts going bye-bye..........

Gm Forums had a great fix from one of the guys
to defeat the Serv. ride control msg.

A buddy cobbed my 96 with a resistor added to
the wires on the plug in on top of the strut to
disable the msg. till I traded it in.
Cheap 2 buck fix !
Unhooking the battery or messing with the DIC
will only kill the message for a few on/off cycles.

The caddyinfo thread has a few hints to shut off
the message and/or replace those $$$$$$ elec.
front struts to the cheaper passive ones!

Hopefully the guys with the FIX from Gm Forums
will find this site and post the pics and info. for
all to use ! ....................geo


EDIT: i did see the one using the Allante thread !
It didn't work on my 96 tho.............I used the resistor
thing........
I see Maydogs post is there also ...but the link no work !
Bummer, it was a good one........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sonjaab said:
GUYS............More of those $$$$$$$ front
struts going bye-bye..........

Gm Forums had a great fix from one of the guys
to defeat the Serv. ride control msg.

A buddy cobbed my 96 with a resistor added to
the wires on the plug in on top of the strut to
disable the msg. till I traded it in.
Cheap 2 buck fix !
Unhooking the battery or messing with the DIC
will only kill the message for a few on/off cycles.

The caddyinfo thread has a few hints to shut off
the message and/or replace those $$$$$$ elec.
front struts to the cheaper passive ones!

Hopefully the guys with the FIX from Gm Forums
will find this site and post the pics and info. for
all to use ! ....................geo


EDIT: i did see the one using the Allante thread !
It didn't work on my 96 tho.............I used the resistor
thing........
I see Maydogs post is there also ...but the link no work !
Bummer, it was a good one........
HOOK ME UP PLEASE!!! Where can I get those resistors? (1997 Deville Concours) THANX!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Passive Suspension

Thanks for the link to the passive system for sale on ebay! I never thought I'd ever find something to help my ride quality. I orderd a set and will be installing them myself shortly ($200 to have someone else do it), bye bye active suspension. I'll let you guys know how it goes. THANKS AGAIN!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Passive Suspension

Slick Black Cadillac said:
Thanks for the link to the passive system for sale on ebay! I never thought I'd ever find something to help my ride quality. I orderd a set and will be installing them myself shortly ($200 to have someone else do it), bye bye active suspension. I'll let you guys know how it goes. THANKS AGAIN!
Well?.....How did it go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
It Works!

Boston Suspension shipped the kit lightning fast and all parts were included as promised. Dennis (the seller) was extremely helpful with any questions I had and seemed to have an honest concern with my total satisfaction.
As far as the install: I rented a spring compressor from Auto Zone for the front struts. The instructions provided were fairly accurate and the job went smooth. The only problem I encountered was that I had to torch off the rear bags to get the new shocks on. Beyond that everything was great; the resistors work and prevented the "service ride control" light from surfacing.
The initial ride was harsh and requires a break in peirod of 500 miles. I now have 470 miles on the new system, it rides great and dosen't float uncontrollably on bumps at highway speeds or clunk over potholes. I'll give this system my personal reccomendation and encourage anyone with strut issues to try it.
 

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
Joined
·
173 Posts
miishmiish said:
HOOK ME UP PLEASE!!! Where can I get those resistors? (1997 Deville Concours) THANX!
Mish.......We used Maydogs and a few others info at
GM forums...IT was a 50 ohm resistor if I remember
right. You can get one at any electronics store.
My bud the mechanic did all the grunt work tho.
So I cant tell ya exactly how to install. But it is
wired/soldered into the plug ins on the front
struts somehow. Not sure if it will work on a 97
Check those links i posted....geo
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top