Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX 4.6 V8 aut. AWD Sport Luxury '05 & Cadillac CTS 3.6 V6 aut. AWD Sport Luxury '09
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a chapter closed, there's another problem in my book of issues with my SRX: strong vibrations that i feel under my seat (and in the whole car!!!) but...not on the steering wheel.
As you know, I have changed a lot of parts, all front control arm and more, bushing also at rear, struts (converted from Magnetic Ride to standard one, KYB at front and Sachs Nivomat at rear), my tires have 7k km and the tire dealer has made the wheel balancing.
The car is perfect until 95/100 kmh, then starts to vibrate...then to shake, and after 140kmh it seems that vibrations are less strong.
Could be the transmission shaft? What could I check?

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX 4.6 V8 aut. AWD Sport Luxury '05 & Cadillac CTS 3.6 V6 aut. AWD Sport Luxury '09
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple...ok! :)

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,476 Posts
Can't quite get my hands around it, but something sure has brought to mind the recent thread about the dealership service write-up where seat wouldn't move back on the track.

Reactions: iamback

·
Registered
62 Posts
Simple...ok! :)
Check lug nuts, check tire pressure, check for tread separation or inside wear, check balance and then if you find no issues you're possibly looking at emergency brake mechanism behind the rotor, wheel hubs, drive shaft, U-joints, differential, bearings and that sort of thing, but always start with the tires!

·
Registered
62 Posts
After a chapter closed, there's another problem in my book of issues with my SRX: strong vibrations that i feel under my seat (and in the whole car!!!) but...not on the steering wheel.
As you know, I have changed a lot of parts, all front control arm and more, bushing also at rear, struts (converted from Magnetic Ride to standard one, KYB at front and Sachs Nivomat at rear), my tires have 7k km and the tire dealer has made the wheel balancing.
The car is perfect until 95/100 kmh, then starts to vibrate...then to shake, and after 140kmh it seems that vibrations are less strong.
A tire can have defects and still balance okay, but then the issue manifests later.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He tried the car with me but until 80/90 kmh and the drive was really good... the day after on the highway.... :O

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check lug nuts DONE, OK check tire pressure
DONE, OK
check for tread separation or inside wear DONE, OK
check balance DONE, OK

and then if you find no issues you're possibly looking at emergency brake mechanism behind the rotor TO CHECK, wheel hubs DONE, OK, drive shaft TO CHECK , U-joints DONE, OK, differential TO CHECK , bearings DONE, OK and that sort of thing, but always start with the tires!

OK!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you haven't swapped your tires front to rear, try that. Don't worry about the size difference for a trial.
I could for a try? It's not a big difference but not little, anyway...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you "FLOAT" out the vibration? By that I mean when you encounter the vibration can you mitigate it by driving in a JUST MAINTAINING speed mode, neither accelerating nor decelerating. If you can lessen the vibration by floating the drivetrain look at your inner driver cups on the front axles. I have seen where due to sustained highway driving an inner driver cup will wear in just one spot so that when enough wear has happened it will vibrate at a given speed. You can change the vibe by floating it or a hard accel or deccel, I do NOT recommend the latter at speeds you are talking because it would require a manual downshift of the transmission resulting in a severe over-rev situation. It can also come and go which makes it all the more frustrating to find. I wish luck in your quest.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
1,025 Posts
I've read accounts of the driveshaft center support bearing failing. Apparently not available as a separate unit but is part of a new driveshaft (and expensive) Might search the forum for more info.

·
Registered
EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.
352 Posts
I already have this. 90-120km/h strong vibrations.
If i run 20km without touch brake, sometimes vibrations stop, one brake action = vibrations for ~20km.

Rear brake hot-> the 2 rears calipers seized in same time ! Change for new one.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Luxury
1,365 Posts
As others have suggested this is likely an issue with the rear wheels or suspension areas. Make sure the hand brake is completely released. A broken belt inside a tire can cause this as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already have this. 90-120km/h strong vibrations.
If i run 20km without touch brake, sometimes vibrations stop, one brake action = vibrations for ~20km.

Rear brake hot-> the 2 rears calipers seized in same time ! Change for new one.
Really? It's the same. Sometimes it seems that is less, sometimes the vibration is an hell...

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
775 Posts
Here's a tip about a brake caliper that sticks on and difficult to diagnose.
Rare condition but I had it happen on an S10 pickup and my buddy's STS.
The inside liner of the rubber brake hose delaminates and acts as a check valve causing the piston to drag. I know it sounds like this defies physics but have seen it twice.

·
Registered
EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.
352 Posts
Here's a tip about a brake caliper that sticks on and difficult to diagnose.
Rare condition but I had it happen on an S10 pickup and my buddy's STS.
The inside liner of the rubber brake hose delaminates and acts as a check valve causing the piston to drag. I know it sounds like this defies physics but have seen it twice.
Same on PT cruiser.
Really? It's the same. Sometimes it seems that is less, sometimes the vibration is an hell...
All pin on the caliper are square (flap wear).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the center bearing on the drive shaft . Lift up on the shaft and play in bearing or rubber damper is not good. replacement on 4 wheel drive or rear wheel drive are different .See rock auto for replacement. good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts