Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around last night (around 30 degrees outside), and while I was on the thruway, my coolant temp light went on. It went off in about a minute, but I noticed something strange. The car was shooting out cold air instead of heat. The light went back on and stayed on till I got to my destination, blowing cold air the whole time. When I parked my car and came back to it a few hours later, light was off and eferything worked fine. What the hell was this??

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I Think You Will Find The Radiator Low Of Coolant. The Heater Core Is Above The Engine, So If The Level Is Low, The Heater Core Gets No Fluid. Check The Radiator Level, Engine Cold. Should Overflow When The Cap Comes Off. If Not, Top Off With Water And Have It Pressure Tested To Find The Leak. Good Luck, Bill.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Check your waterpump belt. For some reason, you are getting no flow. Start the car and see if the lower rad hose gets sucked flat. This would NOT be the thermostat, since it is overheating, but you are getting no heat. The heater core bypasses the thermostat.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Also, Once The Leak Or Level Is Corrected, Make Sure The Stop Leak Pellets Are Added To The System. Must Be Done Every Two Years Regardless Of Mileage. The Pellets Are Sold At Any Gm Dealership Or Barsleak Gold Is The Same Thing From Any Auto Parts Store. Coolant Replacement Must Be Done Every Two Years Along With The Pellets Or Barsleak Gold.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, but I dont see why this would happen once and than be fine an hour later

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Because Air Gets Trapped In The System If Its Low. An Air Pocket Would Allow Poor Flow. After Shut Off And Restarted Sometimes An Air Pocket Is Released Thru The Cap. Still Think The System Is Low. Good Idea To Ck Lower Hose, Rare That It Collapses, But It Can, So Ck It. Fill The Radiator With The Engine Held At A Fast Idle Like 1500 Rpm. A Buddy Can Hold The Engine Speed While You Fill The Radiator. Once Its Filled, Quickly Install The Cap. Let It Return To Idle Then Top Off Recovery Tank. All This Is Done With The Climate Control Set To 90 Degrees. That Way No Air Pocket Will Form In The Heater Core. Good Luck, Bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
carnut