Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Fathers 99 STS, when it gets cold, a distinct motor sound comes on from the Drivers side front, it sounds like it is coming from the inside of the car and before I freeze my butt off diagnosing the problem, I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction, my guess would be either the rss airpump, or the parking brake actuator... It is loud, but does go away in about two minutes.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Does this sound happen after the engine is shut off?

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
does it only do it in the winter?

it might be this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34310

mine is doing the same thing, sound goes away after the car is warmed up, after about 2 minutes. i'm just too lazy to change it out, and it's too cold right now. i'll wait til summer this time. or this friday when it's 34 degrees. :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, it looks like that is the problem, I always wondered why there was a square little vent under the steering wheel. Now all I have to do is boot up my ESI Spo software and check for the service bulletins and proceed to fix this annoying noise. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
if you do go in and replace that part, let me know how difficult it is. i don't want to go tearing into my dash in freezing temperatures, unless it's a simple few screws to remove and pull out the old part.

if it's too involved i'll wait until spring.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
You already forgot to do it last summer. Are you sure you want to put it off again. :)

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
The noise will only get louder and stay longer.
I took off my grill with a flathead screwdriver, from the side, carefull not to break either of the two clips.
I then moved the sensor wire around until the noise stops, and packed the square shaft with foam.
On occasion, it has reoccured ... I adjust the foam (it takes 2 seconds), and bingo, blessed silence.

The dealer in Orillia, Ontario wants $85 for a new sensor, then between .5 and 1.0 hours to route the sensor around the asperator fan, and even then, no guarantees.

I no longer put up with the noise ... it really makes the car sound like a P.O.S. when driving, and never really goes away ... after warm up, you'll still hear a ticking noise if you turn off your blower and stereo ... a little foam around the wire sensor, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Ted, I shudder when dealers say that they cannot guarantee that the noise will go away, As you live in Orillia, you know how cold it has become rather quickly. In my software, it says to remove the end cap on the LHD sevilles and the other side on the RHD sevilles (must be for the English market) then remove the headlight switch and pull out the tube that leads to the sensor, I think someone suggested in the one of the above links to spray wd40 into it and see if that helps, I think I will wait until it warms up to about 0 degrees and then take it all apart. Thanks again everyone....

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Luxury, 2019 GMC AWD Terrain Denali
339 Posts
Ohhhh... I have noticed this sound also; only when it's cold outside and the car is warming up:

My hunch is it has something to do with the auto climate control, and it does sound like a noisy fan motor. The noise lasts for 1-2 minutes and then goes silent. The noise comes from behind the dash, on the left side of the steering wheel, and sounds like it is from behind the little vent that is about 1" square.

Is this something that is easy to fix?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The WD 40 trick won't help unless you can penetrate the fan motor and reseal it.
If you want to try a simple fix, just remove the small grille and play with the sensor wire. The noise should go away, then freeze the wire by packing it with foam. It takes just a few minutes.

I just drove to Toronto and back for the Leafs game in -18c weather ... not a peep from the asperator fan.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like your idea better Ted, I will try the foam when it warms up a little, and I hope the game was worth the trip down the 400, into the worlds most car unfriendly city..

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
well now i'm even more confused. i was told by gm parts direct that my car is not equiped with an aspirator.

i took the side panel off the car today when i got home (and then dropped it in the snow) and took a peak inside. you can see the red wire which goes to the fan, and the partial silver and red sticker that is on the back of the fan blade. the sticker is a bit fuzzy, but its the same kind of cooling fans you'll find in computers. the picture is below:

http://gallery.iametarq.com/photos/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/IMG_2919.jpg

the fan that is making all the noise is actually the same kind of fan you'll find on your computer to cool the processor or inside your laptop!

it also looks like you need to take of the side panel which i did, plus one of the "kick panels" below the steering wheel. i couldnt see much more since it was dark.

gmparts also included a picture of the blow up of the area, but it's not much help. its too small. so it looks like the motor behind the air temp is making the noise, whatever that motor is actually called.

perhaps this weekend i'll take out the motor and just replace the fan part, i'm not sure my radio shack would have them. i might have to get it online from newegg or some an electronics site.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm curious, Siam.
Did you take off the small grill when the noise is loudest on a cold startup.
The sensor wire was the culprit for me, and my service tech said this is the part they replace as per a service bulletin on the 02-03 STS's.
Could you not just try and wiggle the sensor during your cold startup?

It was crazy cold this morning, and I experienced a quiet startup ... prior to moving and isolating the wire, I had about a hundred consecutive buzzing startups.

Caddyshack, the drive was worth it, Toronto beat Anaheim 3-2.
Crazy drive down the DVP ... thank god for the comp tickets ... golds were $187 plus the scalpers fee ... more than I could afford on my own.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
I have the same too.
Thought it was commin from the right vent though.
Didnt really pay much attention to the smaller one.

Is good to know now what those are for.

So seein as those are intake to measure the cabin temp.....
I would have thought they would only be on and running if the ACC is turned on ?

Im only bout 80% sure, but I think that I have heard that noise during start up when the ACC is off. (I try to make a habit of having everything off if I know its going to be a cold start).
I do know for sure that when Ive heard it when the ACC is on; turning of the ACC makes no difference.

So does that mean its in operation at all times ?

Also
The first time I heard it I shut off the engine cause I didnt know what was goin on.
When I restarted it was gone.

I followed the links that this post added.
Good stuff :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,193 Posts
Not positive but I suspect it is operational all the time.

·
Registered
00' sts
220 Posts
hey guys, i just purchased a 2000 sts, and never noticed a noise upon test drives, but the night i brought it home i noticed the same noise. its definitely coming from that intake fan and immediately thought it was a bad bearing or something in the fan. it does run all the time as far as ive noticed. also, it has been pretty cold but im not sure if that has anything to do with it. it does eventually go away.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder on my 1998 Deville if it has the same kind of fan? I know the sensor is buried beneath the glove box somewhere near the top of the heaterbox. Any thoughts on this Ranger? I understand that in the summer, probably down in the southern states, when the inside of the car gets really hot, about 140 to 150, a fan is supposed to come on and stop the dash from cooking itself, I wonder if that was the same fan. Here where I live, its been to damn cold to do anything with this problem. I am itching to fix it though...

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Guess Im suspecting the same thing;
That it does operate once the engine is started no matter what else is turned on.

So if that is the case, then why would the symptoms occur only when the vehicle has been turned off while subjected to below freezing temps for an extended amount of time ?
(my garage appears to stay at a minimum of +8 no matter what the outside temps are. And haven't noticed the symptoms there yet)

My guess would be not enough, and or cheap lubrication, that is not able to withstand certain colder temperatures.

Like I said its just a guess.:hmm:

Ive only recently purchased my 2001.
But I'm going to let it go the way it is for this winter.
Despite what Ive read in one of the links here stating that "it will only get worse".

I want to see what, if anything, it will sound like come the warmer summer months.
If it is non existant then, then that could mean something and help out in figuring this out.

I'll be the guinee pig on that one.
Hope that iametarq will post his results with what he's tried as well.
No reason why we should all be droppin parts in the snow. DOHHHH

Is up to you man.
Keep postin what you've learened if you dont mind.

If this is a symptom that only seems to occur during winter months then Im thinkin lubrication :hmm:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts