Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bad day with my 97 STS ever since I took it to the dealer to get the coolant tank replaced. Earlier tonight after I crunk up the car I got the no battery charge message pop up for about 5 seconds and shortly after that a grinding sound from under the hood. This stopped before I could pull over and see what the problem was. I checked for codes but none came up. Once i started the car and headed home the grinding noise started again. I pulled over with the car running and checked under the hood. it sounded like it was coming from under the front head below the camshaft but i couldn't locate exactly where it was. Once i got back in the car the grinding stopped and it starting making a sound like when you don't have enough powersteering fluid. I made it to the house and when i cut the car off a little smoke was coming from under the hood real faint if the headlights were not still on I wouldn't have seen it. The smell seemed as if it was electrical but hard to tell with the heat coming off the block. Has anyone experience this or had a alternator go out. The car runs fine but the noise will turn heads and the car is giving no symptoms of a shortage and the voltage on the battery is normal. Any help will be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
It sounds more like a failing clutch bearing on your a/c compressor to me. When it starts to fail, it lets the pully go a little crooked and the pully will touch the clutch plate while it's spinning. That is what causes the noise. When the compressor engages the clutch the noise will stop. If you turn the a/c off, you will hear the noise continue until you turn the a/c back on. The bearing will begin to seize up after a while and your belt will burn rubber, so to speak, on the pully, and that will cause the smoke.

Don't know about your battery no charge message though.

Here, I posted some useful information in this thread;
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52930

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree...A/C clutch is about to go out. Before changing your alternator, I'd go ahead and clean the battery terminals first because this is sometimes the cause.

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
Take your 1/2" breaker bar and relieve the tension on the serp belt then try turning each pulley by hand. Does anything sound or feel funny?

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my mechanic look at it last night and we tried turning the AC on and off and the noise continued. From really listening to it today it seemed as if the sound was coming from one of the pulleys. The alternator and the AC seem to be working fine. Any insight on this I'm trying to troubleshoot this myself before I have to take it to the dealer. Also the sound now is like a constant whine that stops for a while but starts back when I raise the rpms.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Check the idler. and the tensioner pullies. Bearings may be going bad.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a good look at it today and its the alternator pulley. Is there away to repair that specific part or do I have to replace the whole thing because the charge is normal just the bearings are shot. Worse case scenario how do I take that damn thing out. I was looking all over the engine and it seems like there is no way to get to it. Anyone please help this car is starting to get in my pockets deep in a matter of weeks

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
You will need to pull the alternator out from the bottom. On my 94, and I believe it will be the same on your 97, I had to remove the cooling fan near the alternator. There is a small access panel on the bottom of the vehicle, held by 4 bolts. That will be need to be removed. The alternator will come out through the hole made by this panel.

Granted, someone might post that you need to remove part of the wheel housing. I have done the alternator and didn't need to remove it, myself.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot bought the part today and the damn car hasn't made a sound since. Strange, anyway I'm still taking it to the shop in the mornning because it is no way it could make that sound and then stop and everything be ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts