Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gents.

This morning I noticed that Maggie had a bit more of an "electronic whine" if you will, and when I popped the hood - well - if I had to guess, a bearing is going south.

Anyone experience a similar noise and NOT have it be a bad thing?

WW

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS-V
25 Posts
Make sure you have coolant in the intercooler container. I had a leak, lost coolant and the pump noise was quite noticeable. Also some of the early model maggies for the CTS-V had a steel drive shaft that would rub against the shaft cover. Usually only at certain rpms.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
I've heard of the shaft rub too(sounds dirty when you say it like that).Since then, all their kits have carbon fiber shafts.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Go out in the garage lock car,come to KS do some bird hunting let the car sit awhile.Everything looks better with some tequila.Plenty here.And no,no noises out of my maggie yet.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Had a bearing go bad on the Silverado SS version here in Minnesota. Get a hold of Magnuson; they'll get it fixed up.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Make sure that you are not making contact with the cross bar. My blower makes contact when Im on it and it transmits the noise.. Also, the metal jack shaft rubs the blower case on the passenger side. (non carbon).

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've verified that nothing comes in contact anywhere. It isn't the intercooler, as it is engine running only. I pulled the serpentine belt off and spun her by hand - all seems normal (low RPM, I know). Though I don't have the carbon fiber shaft, I don't have the cover either (very early adopter - been there - done that).

Guess it's on the phone to Magnuson tomorrow...I'll keep everyone posted. The V does sound interesting with two different whines, though :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well, If you really want to pinpoint the noise, get a mechanics stethescope. I use it when Im trying to isolate noises, squeaks etc. Im sure Magna knows where its coming from anyway.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lasstss -

I'm sure you're right. I did the old long steel rod trick tonight (pseudo stethescope). Seems to be coming from the back of the Maggie - and to be honest - sounds like gears :eek:

Belts are all looking good.

Thanks for the input, guys. I know Mag will take care of me - they always have.

Besides, this gives me a good opportunity to replace heads and cam (wait, did I just say that?) :lies:

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, It was Blitzer.

FWIW - I have exchanged the unit before in 90 minutes. No need to pull the wiper assembly.

Actually, I'm quite good at this - I've had the S/C off no less than 4 times now :cookoo:

Calling Magnuson now.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
heavymetals said:
It takes me more then 90 minutes to get in the mood! :hide:
:yeah:

Seriously, I better start getting hands on with the V. I've been taking the V into the dealer where they have been installing everything for me because, I don't want to ruin any install. Better yet, I don't want know what I might have ruined doing the install.

When I worked on my other car, I enjoyed the gratification of knowing I installed this and that. When someone had a question, I knew how it needed to be done. The only drawback on that was I sometimes knew little things I didn't exactly finish correctly. In the back of my mind I knew I had to go back to that part or mod and finish the install correctly. At the end that took away from the value I had for the car. Hence, I ended up selling my old project.

Anyhow, WW keep us posted on your results. ;)

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2 messages left + 1 email.

Further testing shows it is in fact the back of the s/c. Seems to be the bearing on the jackshaft, or possibly, the bearing on the input shaft/gearbox of the maggie itself.

Trust me, guys, Magnuson will take care of this. Glad I hadn't gone to the 2.6 pulley yet :eek:

Frank - get your hands clean and then dirty them on your V. Pretty fun car to work on, really. In some ways, and SBC is an SBC :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
wildwhl said:
Though I don't have the carbon fiber shaft, I don't have the cover either (very early adopter - been there - done that).
This is just from memory of a quick conversation from months ago, so take this for what it's worth...

If memory serves, a mechanic informed me that the carbon fiber shaft was being used on current magies as it aided in reducing potential noise/bearing problems or something...

I have no idea if that is related to your problem, of course, but it is some food for thought in my mind. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts